Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Another FM here who wants to say thanks for keeping us up to date on where and when the Carry On's can be seen.

Thank you for your thanks Tourista. I am sure all Carry On films are looking forward to Carry On Cowboy being shown on ITV 1 and on ITV 1 HD this Saturday afternoon (28.5.2011) from 1.25pm. I certainly am and it is my first chance to see the film in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    Thanks for a great thread Terry.

Thank you for your thanks, eye3. I look forward to your postings to this thread.
    eye 3 wrote: ......Charles Hawtry and Hilda Baker....thanks to google I found they did star together in 2 series...Our House (with Hattie Jacques, Bernerd Bresslaw and Joan Sims!!!) and Best of Friends. I think they were written by Carry On writer Norman Hudis. I'd love to see these old programs. Anyone remember these??

I would like to see the programmes named above. I hope that copies of them still exist. Do you remember Hilda Baker as Neillie Pickersgill in the ITV (London Weekend Television) comedy "Not On Your Nellie"?
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Hi Terry Telly. It's great that you've opened this discussion thread. Spoke to you briefly on the ..Convenience" thread. Hopefully we'll now have true Carry On fans making contributions.

A quick comment on Carry On England :o (might as well get this out of the way sooner rather than later!!). :rolleyes: As far as I know, Kenneth Williams was offered the role of the brigadier but due to other commitments had to turn down the part..paving the way for Peter Jones.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this clip about Charles Hawtrey from the CH4 programme Carry On Darkly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jEz0QhB5V4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Terry Telly. It's great that you've opened this discussion thread. Spoke to you briefly on the ..Convenience" thread. Hopefully we'll now have true Carry On fans making contributions.

Thank your for your kind comments about me opening this Carry On Appreciation thread, highlander1969 and I remember our discussion in the Carry On At Your Convenience Thread recently.
    highlander1969 wrote: A quick comment on Carry On England.....As far as I know, Kenneth Williams was offered the role of the brigadier but due to other commitments had to turn down the part..paving the way for Peter Jones.

An interesting fact - I did not know that. I think Peter Jones was a great actor. As I am sure you know, highlander1969, Peter was in Carry on Doctor as well as Carry On England. It is a pity if Kenneth had to turn the part in Carry On England down. I am sure he would have liked to be in Carry On England. What a shame that there was not a Carry On England with both Kenneth Williams and Peter Jones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found this clip about Charles Hawtrey from the CH4 programme Carry On Darkly

Thank you for the link in your last posting to this thread eye3. As it is very late I will look at the clip on the link later today and post back here.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Thank your for your kind comments about me opening this Carry On Appreciation thread, highlander1969.

An interesting fact - I did not know that. I think Peter Jones was a great actor. As I am sure you know, Peter was in Carry on Doctor as well as Carry On England. It is a pity if Kenneth had to turn the part in Carry On England down. I am sure he would have liked to be in Carry On England. What a shame that there was not a Carry On England with both Kenneth Williams and Peter Jones.

Yep, Peter Jone's was excellent. Not sure how Kenneth felt about the films at this stage. He had a love/hate relationship with them. I think he might have felt they were holding him back from progessing to other roles but they also had that safety net in that he was always loved in the "Carry On" roles.
    "England" suffer's because of a fairly weak story and no Sid (who'd died a week before filming had begun) Kenneth (Williams) Hattie, Babsie etc. Others such as Peter Butterworth and Joan Sims are slotted in as supporting roles. For me it just doesn't hang together. Bernie was also a strange ommision. :confused:
  • Options
    weaversgreenweaversgreen Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your thanks, eye3. I look forward to your postings to this thread.

I would like to see the programmes named above. I hope that copies of them still exist. Do you remember Hilda Baker as Neillie Pickersgill in the ITV (London Weekend Television) comedy "Not On Your Nellie"?

Those recordings sgtill exist and about ten years ago were shown on what was then "Granada Plus" on Sky, as was it's more famous predecessor "Nearest & Dearest" with Jimmy Jewel - they even showed the first (968) series which was made in black and white. You probably know JJ & Miss Baker hated each others guts and wouldn;'t speak to each other - their producer the late Bill Podmore had to carry messages back and forth.

As for the Carry On's, I can't stand the snobs who deride them - they were far better than the Confessions series which came along after and the cast were a wonderful team. A great sense of fun comes through still. When you think about it, Sid James died thirty five years ago (April 1976) yet even today you only have to say "Sid" and everyone knows who you are talking about. The same with "Hattie" - a great tribute to them in that more "important" actors wouldn't be recalled so quickly, or with such great affection
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the the Carry On films and Carry on television series appreciation thread :).

Great Idea have all the carry ons and yet still watch them on TV ,.UK gold has a habit of showing them on Bank Holidays but butchered by ads:(

There were plans for several Carry ons that got to the planning stages but were never made Carry on smoking (about firemen not the ciggies) I can just imagine all the cracks about big hoses, shiny red engines etc
    There was also another doctor/medical one and another whose theme I cannot remember

My faves are the earlier ones in black and white,. so clever at getting around the then strict censorship and now a part of social history,, the NHS ones for example and the street scenes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Carry On Camping is my favourite. it's hilarious :D

Total quality. Sid James face as he keeps getting his one pound notes out to pay for the add ons.

:D
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great thread Terry.

My first memories of TV comedy were of a lanky man and a fat woman. When I look back I think it was Charles Hawtry and Hilda Baker but it seems a strange pairing.

But thanks to google I found they did star together in 2 series...Our House (with Hattie Jacques, Bernerd Bresslaw and Joan Sims!!!) and Best of Friends. I think they were written by Carry On writer Norman Hudis. I'd love to see these old programs. Anyone remember these??

Interstingly, Hawtrey and Baker did not get on during 'Best of Friends'. However, Hawtrey did appear in the 1972 'This is Your Life' tribute to Baker, so maybe they'd made up by then.

It was the filming of the final (1962) series of 'Our House' that meant Hawtrey, Hattie and Joan Sims couldn't appear in 'Carry On Cruising' as the filming dates clashed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry on Camping is full of great scenes and one-liners.

My favourite is when they are waiting to enter the nudist camp.
    The sign says
    ALL ASSES MUST BE SHOWN.
    Sid asks where the farmer/owner is.
    ''He's gone for a pee''
    And then he comes back and nails in the P (to make PASSES)

great gag
  • Options
    7 Network7 Network Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently watching the commentary versions of the films in release order, on DVD. I must say some are far more entertaining than others, but the worst so far must be for Carry on Up the Khyber, Peter Rogers comes across as a little difficult. Looking forward to the commentary on Camping though, as it is my favourite of the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carry on Camping is full of great scenes and one-liners.

My favourite is when they are waiting to enter the nudist camp.
    The sign says
    ALL ASSES MUST BE SHOWN.
    Sid asks where the farmer/owner is.
    ''He's gone for a pee''
    And then he comes back and nails in the P (to make PASSES)

great gag

"No, no, Barbara, dear - tent up first, bunk up later:D
  • Options
    dolly12345dolly12345 Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so pleased you mention Carry On Spying as one of your favourites, dolly. It is definitely among my favourite Carry On films too.

It was shown on Film 4 several months ago - and I think it was the first time it had been on UK terrestrial television for many years.

You also refer to Carry On At Your Convenience. It was shown on BBC 2 on 7.5.2011. You might have watched it then. Many people posted to the Carry On At Your Convenience thread here to say how much they like the film.

I just love the charming mysterious quality to 'Spying' its the first Carry on i remember watching :)

I have the full 30 disc boxset my partner bought me as a birthday present! I often have them on of a daytime while im working :) Definatly a comforting quality to them, they never fail to make me smile
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's just my dirty mind, ;)but I think one line that sums up the fun of the Carry On's comes near to the opening of Carry On Girls (1973) when the elderly Joan Hickson says to Jack Douglas "I want you to come over the promenade with me and take my knickers down!"

(The randy admiral Peter Butterworth had hung a pair of red flannel bloomers to a flagpole)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you know there was a plan for a Carry On Texas??

It was going to be a spoof on Dallas but Lorimar wanted too much for the rights to spoof it so the idea was dropped.

The cast were on TV-AM to discuss it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfafM4n8Dhk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7 Network wrote: »
    I'm currently watching the commentary versions of the films in release order, on DVD. I must say some are far more entertaining than others, but the worst so far must be for Carry on Up the Khyber, Peter Rogers comes across as a little difficult. Looking forward to the commentary on Camping though, as it is my favourite of the series.

I think the stern headmasterly Mr Rogers was all part of the act - he was the paterfamilis of the team, and even the generally waspish Kenneth Williams, tends to overlook some of PRs remarks to him (he refers to one occassion - on Doctor, I think, where KW has to juggle with props and keeps getting both dialogue and props wrong, and after several takes PR said loudly to the director Gerald Thomas "you'd better print that last one - it's not going to get any better". KW mentioned quite a few of Peter Rogers bon mots, but rarely in a bitter way

If one of his other producers had said something like that to him there would have been ructions. I remember a BBC radio producer once saying how frightened they could be working with KW if you upset him. I think PR was famously "careful" over money - again he told KW that if he wanted a car to transport him to the set he would have to pay for it - and he deducted it out of his salary, but then again, I suppose all producers, like government ministers, don't get to where they are without being ruthless in one way or another
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Any particular scene in the film you remember? :D

Quite a few - when they arrived, the suitcases falling off the roof, the exercise scene, the scene where one group put up a tent in the field... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Everytime somebody mentions going to Spain on holiday , i always think of Ells Bells. Im dying to go into a chip shop & ask for 'chippins & bins'

:D
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 3 faves are

Carry On Screaming
    Carry on Spying
    Carry On Up the Khyber

Though I can't resist an "ooooooh Matron" :D
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to the the Carry On films and Carry on television series appreciation thread :).

This thread is for fans of the hugely popular Carry On films and the Carry On series of television programmes :cool:
    - including the Carry On Christmas television specials - to read and to post comments to.

Whenever I read or hear about a Carry On film being shown on television I will post to this thread with details of the broadcast date and time and what channel the film will be on.

If you are a Carry On fan :cool: please post here and visit this thread regularly. Thank you.

count me in:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Drink?"
    -No thank you. I tried it once and didn't like it

"Oh, cigarette?"
    -No thank you I tried it once and didn't like it.

"Funny"
    -Not at all. My daughter is just the same

"Your only child, I presume"
  • Options
    ewing23ewing23 Posts: 7,669
    Forum Member
    Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond: Tell Major Shorthouse to call me an elephant.
    Lady Joan Ruff-Diamond: He needn't bother I'll do it. You're an elephant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A big grin when I saw this, well done Terry, and all the best with the appreciation thread.

My Fave is Carry on Henry, I watched Hattie of BBC4 the other week and thought it was really interesting. Ruth Jones was excellent in my opinion.