Options

Foyle's War

Comments

• Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's become stereotypical. The writer's made them into caricatures.... a bit like TinTin :D

Shame really because I like Foyle's War.

I think you are taking Foyles War far too seriously, just chill out and try to remember it's a drama for our entertainment and not a biographical history of post war Britain...after all we have other programmes for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode appears to be a ridiculously over the top portrayal of racism and anti-Semitism in the UK. No doubt written by some left wing propagandist in order to try and create the impression that those who oppose mass immigration and are patriotic are violent racist thugs.

I find it staggering that the media gets away with this nonsense really. It is historically inaccurate and is quite frankly representative of nothing other than the biased left wing agenda of ITV and the mainstream media generally.
    There were some pretty nasty incidents after the bombing of the King David hotel and a lot of resentment for the troops left overseas after the war had ended.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine that Guy Spencer's party was based on Oswald Mosley's post-war Union Movement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Movement
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnan wrote: »
    I thought it was more a misguided attempt to discredit UKIP.

BNukiP don't need a TV show to discredit them. That bunch of racist, homophobic thugs can manage that all by themselves. I despise them and anyone who votes for them.

But this was a good and timely episode.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to be in the minority, but I love this new series. The plots are great, as is the acting. As for the latest story - I think it should be compulsive viewing to all those who slag off the NHS and let them see what life was like before it existed!!!!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    It seems that nothing changes. I didn't realise that things were that bad in those days.

They weren't.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame next week is the last ever episode, though it probably is the right time to end things. They're past the war and there's only so many stories to tell.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im gutted,been a fan since the beginning ohwell at least there is 28 fantastic episodes to enjoy on dvd for years to come
  • Options
    sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed the last 2 episodes. I think I did prefer last nights though as it felt more coherent and cohesive.

I enjoy the post-war/Cold War episodes from a history geek point of view. I do think that moving it from Hastings somehow made it lose some of its heart. This is partly deliberate as Foyle is away from home and thrust into the 'darkness' of post-war intelligence services. So it isn't really possible to show his home life in the same way as you can Sam's. It is still really great drama though and one of my favourite TV series of all time.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mklass wrote: »
    Unfortunately this programme cannot sustain my interest even for one hour!, never mind two!............

I have to agree with you here!.......I loved Foyles War and watched all of the series through the war but!.. Oh I am finding this a bit heavy going since the war ended and he went to work for the Home Office?...... Not too keen on Sam being married to the councillor either and being pregnant!... how is her part going to stay in the job/series? I am wondering!, I always thought she would eventually marry Foyles son so I am disappointed at her storyline completely!................

As to the storylines with the Russians and the Cold War!............. it does start in as complicated and takes quite a bit into the storyline before thinfs 'click' and you know what's going on!..... Or is that just me and you?. alinton!.......:D

A nice uncomplicated easy to watch series!,,,,, gone very complicated!.....

You are struggling. He;'s an MP, not a councillor. I am enjoying it. I have yet to watch episode 2.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnan wrote: »
    I thought it was more a misguided attempt to discredit UKIP.

That would be pointless.

UKIP discredit themselves simply by being UKIP. :D
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode appears to be a ridiculously over the top portrayal of racism and anti-Semitism in the UK. No doubt written by some left wing propagandist in order to try and create the impression that those who oppose mass immigration and are patriotic are violent racist thugs.

I find it staggering that the media gets away with this nonsense really. It is historically inaccurate and is quite frankly representative of nothing other than the biased left wing agenda of ITV and the mainstream media generally.

I don't know how old you are?, CigaretteSmoker, but I can tell you as someone who was born an 1947 and was a teenager in the 60's that is exactly how it was in those days!........... Have you never heard of Enoch Powell?, The Black immigrants were classed as a separate race to the 'white' English!........... if a white girl went out with a black man she was sneered at and insulted just walking along the road with him! The boarding houses and places like that would state on the windows or doors 'No Blacks'....And appallingly after all they had been through in the War, the Jewish people were looked on as money grabbing people and they used to live in certain boroughs and areas altogether!, I lived in a London borough and can honestly say 'where I lived there were no Jews at all!'........ Same as Gay people!, although not dealt with in this episode!, if it was suspected that someone was gay they would be beat up for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time!..................

That is exactly how it was in those days!.................... its a world apart from how we live and intergrate now!, but that's the facts of it!...................
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    BNukiP don't need a TV show to discredit them. That bunch of racist, homophobic thugs can manage that all by themselves. I despise them and anyone who votes for them.

But this was a good and timely episode.
    Agree on all points.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Same as Gay people!, although not dealt with in this episode!, if it was suspected that someone was gay they would be beat up for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time!..................

That is exactly how it was in those days!.................... its a world apart from how we live and intergrate now!, but that's the facts of it!...................

Didn't that happen to Foyle's co-worker Valentine in one episode of Series 7?
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    I think you are taking Foyles War far too seriously, just chill out and try to remember it's a drama for our entertainment and not a biographical history of post war Britain...after all we have other programmes for that.

I am enjoying it , but they're trying to shove too many story lines and clichés into one episode.imo....and I don't think we get enough of Foyle anymore.
    It was simpler when he was a just a detective.
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,389
    Forum Member
    Rupert V(Lord Ashfordly) is pompous in this as well isn't he. But Foyle won him round didn't he. I love the looks Michael Kitchen gives at times, they are worth more than a hundred words in my mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rupert V(Lord Ashfordly) is pompous in this as well isn't he. But Foyle won him round didn't he. I love the looks Michael Kitchen gives at times, they are worth more than a hundred words in my mind.

Rupert V always plays pompous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Rupert V always plays pompous

Wouldn't it be good to see him playing someone who isn't so pompous and maybe dropping a few 'H's. Then we could really see his worth as an actor
  • Options
    sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't that happen to Foyle's co-worker Valentine in one episode of Series 7?

Yes, The Eternity Ring (s7 ep1). He was beaten up by the father of a lad who worked in the "Gentleman's Club" that Valentine attended as Valentine was leaving the club. The man who beat him up was an ex-copper who accused him of touching his son.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aren't they just!........ That is the mark of a good actor though isn't it!, Not someone just memorising and saying the words but someone who is completely in the part and living it!................... I really like Michael Kitchen, its a pity we don't see him in more parts!........:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aren't they just!........ That is the mark of a good actor though isn't it!, Not someone just memorising and saying the words but someone who is completely in the part and living it!................... I really like Michael Kitchen, its a pity we don't see him in more parts!........:)

I feel he is such a good actor he can really chose the roles he wants and knows that he will be brilliant in. He also is not the sort that allows himself to be splashed all over the papers and magazines like some of our popular actors. He has that mystery about him that makes him so special. In his younger days he always played the 'sexy, bed hopping sort of character but still kept his private life private. Fair play to him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be good to see him playing someone who isn't so pompous and maybe dropping a few 'H's. Then we could really see his worth as an actor

True, but if being pompous keeps him in work I can't imagine he's that bothered
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how old you are?, CigaretteSmoker, but I can tell you as someone who was born an 1947 and was a teenager in the 60's that is exactly how it was in those days!........... Have you never heard of Enoch Powell?, The Black immigrants were classed as a separate race to the 'white' English!........... if a white girl went out with a black man she was sneered at and insulted just walking along the road with him! The boarding houses and places like that would state on the windows or doors 'No Blacks'....And appallingly after all they had been through in the War, the Jewish people were looked on as money grabbing people and they used to live in certain boroughs and areas altogether!, I lived in a London borough and can honestly say 'where I lived there were no Jews at all!'........ Same as Gay people!, although not dealt with in this episode!, if it was suspected that someone was gay they would be beat up for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time!..................

Agreed..another 1947 baby here. Life was austere (hence the word austerity). Bleak, grey, housing shortages ,rationing ,women forced out of work. I suppose being born in a port I was used to seeing people of African and especially Far Eastern origin but I was not aware of the poor treatment many suffered as I'd been brought up to take people at face value. Probably as many of my family were Irish and Scots Catholics there's a sympathy there. I played on bombsites, Liverpool was just a heap of bricks in many areas, clothes were often hand me downs, food limited ( although we had a large back garden which was virtually an allotment). Having said that I can't ever remember feeling hungry or neglected or deprived although I sat next to children at school who I knew WERE poor...no socks , holes in shoes, dreadful clothes and smelt bloody awful. As to anti- Semitism even in the 1970s a friend of mine and her husband were refused membership of a sports club we had joined. They were well off professionals ( far more so than us) and the only reason we could work out why was because they were Jewish..

PS Those scenes shot in Liverpool show such lovely clean buildings. The three graces were black with soot in the 50s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a shame next week is the last ever episode, though it probably is the right time to end things. They're past the war and there's only so many stories to tell.

Oh No!! I can't believe it:(. Really have enjoyed Foyle since the start. Always thought of him being like another Dad to Sam. I just love the way they work together. What are we going to do without him. I really hope that in time someone has some sense and gets Foyle back on the TV:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True, but if being pompous keeps him in work I can't imagine he's that bothered

Probably not but it still would be nice to see him acting down and not his usually self. Gets a bit boring seeing the same character in a different show. But not everyone feels like me I'm sure, but that's what DS is like everyone can voice their views and opinions