Options

Thunderbirds Are Go! 2nd Episode HD Mystery

Robin McInnesRobin McInnes Posts: 87
Forum Member
Is it just me, or has something gone awry with the episode listing of the new Thunderbirds series on ITV?

I Sky-Plussed episode 1 (Ring Of Fire, Part 1) on ITV HD Saturday evening and, despite my innate low expectations of the re-vamp, I quite enjoyed it.

There is an episode 2 (Ring Of Fire, Part 2) scheduled on CITV, on Thursday afternoon I think, but, unless I'm missing something, there is no HD version of CITV on the Sky platform.

Episode 3 (Space Race) is shown with a strange title, 'Scrambled Thunderbirds Are Go!', on Saturday morning at 8.00am on ITV HD, which I've set my Sky+ to record. (I hope it isn't really scrambled...)

But I cannot seem to find an HD broadcast of Ring Of Fire, Part 2 anywhere on my Sky EPG. Has anyone else been more successful at all?

Comments

• Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode on ITV on Saturday evening was actually the first two episodes in one. The repeats on CITV during the week are the two individual parts.

As for Saturday, Scrambled is the name of the the block of programmes on CITV that Thunderbirds Are Go is being aired in - similar to Milkshake! on Channel 5. As there's no Good Morning Britain on ITV on Saturday mornings, ITV simulcast CITV instead.
  • Options
    Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    What stupid scheduling. Premier at teatime sat with publicity then continue the series at 8.00 in the morning in a slot where there will probably be more indents etc on the screen as its a themed Morning slot. Crazy !>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The episode on ITV on Saturday evening was actually the first two episodes in one. The repeats on CITV during the week are the two individual parts.

As for Saturday, Scrambled is the name of the the block of programmes on CITV that Thunderbirds Are Go is being aired in - similar to Milkshake! on Channel 5. As there's no Good Morning Britain on ITV on Saturday mornings, ITV simulcast CITV instead.

Ahh... that explains everything, thanks. (The way the Sky EPG preface the title like that is a bit unnecessary and confusing though.)

I hadn't spotted that the Saturday morning & CITV episodes are only 30 minutes long; I suppose I'd just assumed that, as it was Thunderbirds, each episode would be an hour long as per the original format. It doesn't bode too well for story development though, does it?

I wonder if they don't believe the kids of today have attention spans that long, or if it's just a question of economics? Retrograde step anyway.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recorded the programme but not watched it yet.

First impressions are the thing looks horrendous.

Awful CGI makes none of the characters look like the old ones.

And there are no strings. :mad:
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the citv scrambled ident is transparent

this weekend is the last weekend of scrambled so next saturday your epg will just say thunderbirds are go
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've recorded the programme but not watched it yet.

First impressions are the thing looks horrendous.

And there are no strings. :mad:

I felt exactly the way you do about the re-vamp as you do, until I watched it.

As a long-time Gerry Anderson fan who remembers all his series from first time around in the 1960s I feared the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised. They have at least tried. The sets that the CGI characters are in are genuine physical models, made in much the same way as the originals were. And there are some nicely subtle allusions to the original as well, which will no doubt sail right over the current 'target audience's' heads. (They've even put a lemon squeezer on the wall of the TB1 launch silo, for example.)

Put it this way... There is absolutely no way it could be as good as the original, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Ironically, they made them that way so they did actually look like the old ones. (As stated in the Documentary on the new series.)
  • Options
    David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I'm sure if Michael Grade or Paul Fox were still in charge at ITV they'd be banging on tables to get episode 3 moved to 6pm on Saturday. It's like BBC bringing Dr Who back after 15 years and then showing it on CBeebies on Sunday morning
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't continue with that stupid stupid countdown every single time they launch a vehicle. That was just in the credits. The Thunderbirds don't have a liftoff countdown, it's just "Launching.... Now!" or "I'm flipping the twizzle-ma-bit.... Now!" or "Switching to horizontal flight.... Now!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure if Michael Grade or Paul Fox were still in charge at ITV they'd be banging on tables to get episode 3 moved to 6pm on Saturday.
    Probably not because it's a kids programmes made for kids TV.
    It's like BBC bringing Dr Who back after 15 years and then showing it on CBeebies on Sunday morning
    Unlike, say, Doctor Who.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure if Michael Grade or Paul Fox were still in charge at ITV they'd be banging on tables to get episode 3 moved to 6pm on Saturday. It's like BBC bringing Dr Who back after 15 years and then showing it on CBeebies on Sunday morning

I doubt that they would because the other Gerry Anderson revamp Captain Scarlet was similarly shat all over as they buried it in the Saturday morning TV show Ministry of Mayhem in 2005. They split it up into two bits and even showed the final episode out of order by showing it before the penultimate episode.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm a HUGE lifelong Thunderbirds/Gerry Anderson fan, but I can't get into CGI crap. I'd rather watch the original series any day.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    I hope they don't continue with that stupid stupid countdown every single time they launch a vehicle. That was just in the credits. The Thunderbirds don't have a liftoff countdown, it's just "Launching.... Now!" or "I'm flipping the twizzle-ma-bit.... Now!" or "Switching to horizontal flight.... Now!"

Without repeating the countdown, it wouldn't be Thunderbirds! Also the loading sequence and the take off sequence were regularly reused on the original.
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm into all things GA and have most on DVD (apart from Terrahawks and Space Precinct).

I like the new Thuderbirds (not as good as the original), but please, they have updated the theme but it's not a patch on the original. They should have stayed with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a HUGE lifelong Thunderbirds/Gerry Anderson fan, but I can't get into CGI crap. I'd rather watch the original series any day.
    Well it's not aimed at people your age so that's probably no big loss.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ocox wrote: »
    I'm into all things GA and have most on DVD (apart from Terrahawks and Space Precinct).

I like the new Thuderbirds (not as good as the original), but please, they have updated the theme but it's not a patch on the original. They should have stayed with it.
    They had no choice, the original theme is too long for the OP.
  • Options
    Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    They had no choice, the original theme is too long for the OP.
    They could have edited it, the way the makers of the Hawaii Five-O reboot did with that classic theme.