Options

Is Men Behaving Badly the best comedy of all time?

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I assumed you meant the arrogant, egotistical, tubby bloke whose name escapes me. His fans are very protective, and anyone who isn't ecstatic about him is clearly deranged or moronic.

However, the last paragraph suggests you meant someone else.

Do you mean the guy who name starts with R and ends with Icky Gervais?

To get back to the OP's question the simple answer is that MBB isn't even remotely the best comedy of all time
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    What better than "Mad about Alice"?
    Or Gimme, Gimme, Gimme?! :o
  • Options
    martinemj44martinemj44 Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Got to be top ten

Best episodes....

camping
    The rave
    tony coming back from his travel abroad
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, but Father Ted is miles better in terms of standing the test of time.
  • Options
    PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    What about Nighty Night? That's my favourite comedy of all time. I belly laugh every time.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Puddin wrote: »
    What about Nighty Night? That's my favourite comedy of all time. I belly laugh every time.

First series, brilliant, Rapidly downhill in the second.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I assumed you meant the arrogant, egotistical, tubby bloke whose name escapes me. His fans are very protective, and anyone who isn't ecstatic about him is clearly deranged or moronic.

However, the last paragraph suggests you meant someone else.

No, it was a comedy programme sharing the same initials as the one this thread is about and I wandered in on some neutral sounding title and posted my honest opinion about it feeling old-fashioned and etc, then got absolutely scythed. :)

I read back and several others had done the same before me so the annoyed guy was obviously a bit sick of his favourite programme getting slated. Since then I've thought that there are two types of discussions about programmes - an objective "tell me your opinion, no matter what or how extreme it is", and "I love this show, so lets reminisce about how good it is". It pays to know which type of thread it is.

PS - My last paragraph should have been further up - I meant it to be about Men Behaving Badly. I'm terrible at that. I have a further thought and end up putting it in at the wrong place! :)
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »

Is Men Behaving Badly the best comedy of all time?

Answer... No it wasn`t
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    One of my favourite things ever was Gary sleeping with the neighbour and shaking her hand as a thank you the next morning.

My favourite scenes all involved Gary away from the other three main characters. That time he climbed through the farmer's window for ****, say. Or when he strolled down to the late-night chemist in his slippers and dressing gown. In the days before social media - before mobiles, even - there was something very calming and peaceful about that scene.

By the by, I felt the same way about Game On: I liked Chaplin's 'bored' scenes the best. I just like navel-gazing comedy, I guess. Fawlty's quieter moments, or Keith Pratt's holidays. And always Errol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO5Ca_qBSXE
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men Behaving Badly has suffered in the longevity stakes by being too intrinsically linked with the mid '90s laddism scene.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Hardly best comedy of all time, but very good, and arguably managed to sustain the same level of humour and quality (for good or bad) right up to the end, considering how many episodes there were, which very few sitcoms seem able to do. Many people seem to forget - if they ever knew about - series one with Harry Enfield, which I still have a lot of affection for.

OT slightly, but have there been many other sitcoms that were resurrected on a different channel and went on to be successful?

Great show and as someone has said didn't noticeably run out of steam way sooner than it ended. I can watch repeats and still laugh out loud, but I do need quite a decent break in between. Don't want to be so familiar with it that I can't stand to look at it.

Id love to see the first series with Harry Enfield, I didn't watch it at the time and I've never seen it repeated.

Someone mentioned Friends, sorry but as good as it is, MBB in no way outdoes it. It does beat Goodnight Sweetheart but I'm enjoying that at the moment as well.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Do you mean the guy who name starts with R and ends with Icky Gervais?...................

That could well be the name.
    No, it was a comedy programme sharing the same initials as the one this thread is about and I wandered in on some neutral sounding title and posted my honest opinion about it feeling old-fashioned and etc, then got absolutely scythed. :)

I read back and several others had done the same before me so the annoyed guy was obviously a bit sick of his favourite programme getting slated. ...................

I remember a thread or two about this MBB where the main feeling was that anyone who didn't like it was entitled to their opinion. However, there was one poster who was posting repetitively about how awful it was. I think constantly saying the same thing got on some peoples' nerves, rather than what he was saying.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 127,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it was great but not one of the greatest
  • Options
    adrieldantasadrieldantas Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    No, but it was a very good show.
  • Options
    MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goodol ls wrote: »
    This thread is designed to recount your memories and quotes of the greatest comedy of all time. It made Friends look like the weakling that it was.

Tony-"You Mazda" Literally lol

You'd have been better calling the thread Men Behaving Badly Appreciation thread to avoid the negative posts . I thought it was decent , above average as far as British sitcoms went . None of them hold a candle to the American comedy series who rule the world for some reason .
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    No. End thread.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    No. End thread.

Ditto!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I used to watch but I can't remember much about it all except the two were trying to get off with the girl next door.Couldn't have really impressed me then or I coud be going sealion.
  • Options
    pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    preferred Game On.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was very very funny.

Most memorable scenes : the hide n seek trick on Tony. And Tony pulling his tooth out with the door :):)

Awesome :)
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pulling?
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pulling?

Yeah. And a bit of string.
  • Options
    DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best comedy of all time? Sorry, not even close in my opinion. Funny - yes, best - no,
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Fawlty Towers, Alan Partridge, Father Ted, One foot are all better by a country mile.