OneFoot in the Grave. Who else feels sorry for Victor.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
Forum Member
We're all supposed to feel sorry for Margaret because she has to put up with Victor's moaning, but I think Victor has to put up with a lot more from Margaret.
In at least three episodes I can think of she's either accused him or thought he was having an affair, in another she got jelous of a puppet he was mending and put it's head in the microwave and in another episode she accused him of being a flasher. She critisises Victor's hobbies, like when he was writing a script for a competition and when he started up his magic act, and in another episode she decided to go to the seaside without telling anyone, and Victor thought she'd thrown herself into the canal.
So I say poor Victor.

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really feel sorry for him, I just think he's hilarious! :D All seasons and specials on DVDs so that I can watch them all anytime I like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't really feel sorry for him, I just think he's hilarious! :D All seasons and specials on DVDs so that I can watch them all anytime I like.

It's one of my favourite comedies too, but what I mean is we're all supposed to think Margaret's the long suffering one, but when you really think about it, Victor has to put up with a lot more.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Miserable bugger that he was, he also had to put up with Mrs Warboys, Mr Swainley next door, and numerous people who just walked into his house!
    Hilarious series :D I too have the full box-set - I watch episodes very often to have a laugh!
    Patrick & Pippa were favourites of mine as well!
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! Excellent series. This is one of my favourite clips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpEBLQno-hU
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    One Foot In the Grave is very funny. It never gets boring and i still laugh alot at the repeats
    I own most of the Series on DVD but i must get the complete box set at some point.

Shame it ended but of course it could come back if they really wanted it too.

Sadly David Renwick won't write anymore:cry:
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always thought of Margaret as bit of a moaner herself,sometimes she talks to victor like he is a child.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Margaret is the dominatrix in the relationship and poor Victor is the submissive.

The disgusting punishments she dishes out to him are darn right nasty.

Putting Olbas Oil on the lavatory paper knowing Victor always wipes his penis after a pee is down right vile.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    .............Shame it ended but of course it could come back if they really wanted it too.

Didn't victor die in the last episode? It makes another series a bit difficult. Though I suppose they could call it "two feet (and everything else) in the grave".
    Forum Member
    Miserable bugger that he was, he also had to put up with Mrs Warboys, Mr Swainley next door, and numerous people who just walked into his house!
    Hilarious series :D I too have the full box-set - I watch episodes very often to have a laugh!
    Patrick & Pippa were favourites of mine as well!

It seemed all and sundry just walked into their house. :D
    Did they ever lock their doors?
    I think after Victor, I'd have to pick Mr Swainey as my favourite character.
    "I thought it was you. I called round to your house last year and you told me to p*ss off." :D
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was run over - of course I feel sorry for him!
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »

"Beans beans baked beans and spam."
    Very funny clip.
    Forum Member
    Margaret is the dominatrix in the relationship and poor Victor is the submissive.

The disgusting punishments she dishes out to him are darn right nasty.

Putting Olbas Oil on the lavatory paper knowing Victor always wipes his penis after a pee is down right vile.

Agree totally with what you've said. She did that in The Hollow Lady, which is another episode in which she thinks he's having an affair.
    She also threw his Christmas dinner away when he was late coming home from the church hall, and sprinkled water on his trousers when he was asleep, making him think he'd peed himself.
    There's probably more but I can't think of them yet.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She sprinkled miraclegrow on his trousers when he was asleep to see if it would revive things downstairs.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've watched all the episodes on Youtube. In some ways I feel sorry for Margaret having to listen to his moaning but I can understand why he complained so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget how she treated Mrs Warboys in the Hearts of Darkness episode when they wore the same dress the face and attitude, the episode where she stayed with them while her flat was flooded and the episode when Mrs Warboys had the waxwork done the snide comments about it. (Incidentally that waxwork was so underused all the potential and making it for the show and it just ended up in the bin).

Margaret was one of those two faced people who loved and hated people at same time maybe it was an unfulfilled life with Victor and the loss of a child or just stress because when she had the heart attack episode she was nice afterwards but then again that episode was fiddled as they intended to kill her off and changed their minds.

When she was going to leave Victor for Ben it showed she had an unfulfilled life but again she also treated Ben badly too.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,362
    Forum Member
    Stella28 wrote: »
    We're all supposed to feel sorry for Margaret because she has to put up with Victor's moaning, but I think Victor has to put up with a lot more from Margaret.
    In at least three episodes I can think of she's either accused him or thought he was having an affair, in another she got jelous of a puppet he was mending and put it's head in the microwave and in another episode she accused him of being a flasher. She critisises Victor's hobbies, like when he was writing a script for a competition and when he started up his magic act, and in another episode she decided to go to the seaside without telling anyone, and Victor thought she'd thrown herself into the canal.
    So I say poor Victor.

Great!! At last!! Someone agrees with me. :)

Whenever I watch the re-runs on Gold, I always think to myself what a persistent nag Margaret is.

She's always shrieking at him about something and he takes it all in his stride, bless him. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the way they treat their friends poor Ronnie and Mildred.
  • Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always wondered why whenever a character is by the door, the downstairs toilet or on the stairs, the camera is always in the same place near the top of the staircase. Very rarely is it at the bottom or even moving.
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »

That always makes me laugh. Comedy gold :)
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    Great!! At last!! Someone agrees with me. :)

Whenever I watch the re-runs on Gold, I always think to myself what a persistent nag Margaret is.

She's always shrieking at him about something and he takes it all in his stride, bless him. :)

I'm glad you agree!
    I've recently bought some dvds, and watching them again I think Victor is the long suffering one. Like you say, she's always nagging or critisising him, but he never say's anything back, and there's only one episode I can think of where he shouts at her. The one with the neighbourhood watch meeting, and he shouts shut up because she's gossiping with the other residents while he trying to be serious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do. People and life in general have let him down repeatedly. Margaret put it well when she described him (believe it or not :D) as being sensitive. He's overly sensitive to the world around him and acts in a curmudgeonly way as a sort of defence mechanism.

Love the show, love his and Margaret's interaction, the surreal situations he ends up in (only Victor could find a wig in a loaf :D), etc. My hero. :D
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What about the way they treat their friends poor Ronnie and Mildred.

Yes, they were both unkind about them.
    Don't really know why, they seemed harmless enough, just a bit boring.
    Were they friends or relatives?
  • Freddy_LivesFreddy_Lives Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll always watch when it's on TV. I saw the episode the other day when he's waiting at home to be called for jury service. It's just one long monologue from Victor. Never really appreciated it before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, i always felt she treated him quite badly and was actually more miserable than he was and less kind. That said though i do think she loved him in her own way.
    Forum Member
    Ms Katt wrote: »
    I do. People and life in general have let him down repeatedly. Margaret put it well when she described him (believe it or not :D) as being sensitive. He's overly sensitive to the world around him and acts in a curmudgeonly way as a sort of defence mechanism.

Love the show, love his and Margaret's interaction, the surreal situations he ends up in (only Victor could find a wig in a loaf :D), etc. My hero. :D

Completely agree. Victor is very sensitive, and I don't think Margaret was very understanding.
    Yes he moaned, but he had good cause to with everything that seemed to happen to him. :D