The Amazing Spider-Man - 4th July 2012 - Official Thread

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caz06 wrote: »
    i will robably give it a watch, but this is just a clear example of milking a franchise for what its worth, their was nothing wrong with sams spiderman films, i mean fair enough if he didnt want to come back or none of the actors/acresses didn't then i'd of given it a few more years at least before another reboot.
    Sony couldn't wait "a few more years" because the film rights would have reverted to Marvel if they didn't bring out a Spider-Man film before the deadline.
    I really hope this film fails as i am sick of all this rebooting films that aint even a decade old ...Whats wrong with making it as a sequel with a couple of cast changes ?

Loved the Raimi Trilogy and have no intention of ever watching this travesty of a film.

When this bombs at the box office as it very likely will judging by most forums/etc ive read i hope hollywood gets the picture that reboots aint always needed.

Frankly it looks really shit anyway crap actors poor direction and an awful looking spidey costume
    Maybe it was in Raimi's contract that he would direct any sequels to his films? This would have forced Sony to reboot when it became obvious that Sam couldn't/wouldn't get "Spider-Man 4" into production in time to stop the rights reverting to Marvel.

People forget that Spider-Man is a massive asset to Sony. They won't be giving the film rights back to Marvel anytime soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Just seen it. Not bad but then not brilliant either.
    If you've not seen the previous trilogy and aren't all that familiar with the Spidey origin storyline then it'll probably be well received. If like me, you grew up reading the comics and have seen the previous 3 then you do find yourself thinking "yeah yeah yeah - hurry up and shoot the old guy so we can get on with the rest of the story" at times.

No Sarah Jane, no daily bugle and IMO a missed opportunity to play with the Parker/Flash characters at school to fill that void left by JJJ at the Bugle. FX were nice but not nice enough to make this a must see Spidey flick.

One for the DVD rental rather than forking out at the cinema if you ask me.
    If you grew up reading the comics then shouldn't you know Gwen Stacy was Peter Parkers first love before "Sarah" Jane came along. Also, shouldn't you know her name is Mary Jane?
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been to see it today. I really enjoyed it, I thought Andrew Garfield was great, and rather cute too :o. I have to say that I prefer the Toby Maguire version overall. I just think it works better as a film in terms of plot (talking about spiderman 1 here). I am still looking forward to future installments, i'm quite happy to like both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Saw it this afternoon and thought it was great, easily the best of the Spiderman films imo. Andrew Garfield makes a much, much, much better Peter Parker/Spiderman than Tobey Maguire did, and as has been noted in just about every review, his chemistry with Emma Stone really sells the romantic angle of the movie, after only one film i can safely say that i feel more attached to these reboot characters than i did with any of the characters in any of the Raimi films. Not that the Raimi films are bad or anything, i enjoyed them (yes, even SM3, emo dancing aside...), but this felt more like Spiderman to me.

It was great in IMAX 3D too, the POV and swinging shots looked superb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Saw it this afternoon and thought it was great, easily the best of the Spiderman films imo. Andrew Garfield makes a much, much, much better Peter Parker/Spiderman than Tobey Maguire did, and as has been noted in just about every review, his chemistry with Emma Stone really sells the romantic angle of the movie, after only one film i can safely say that i feel more attached to these reboot characters than i did with any of the characters in any of the Raimi films. Not that the Raimi films are bad or anything, i enjoyed them (yes, even SM3, emo dancing aside...), but this felt more like Spiderman to me.

It was great in IMAX 3D too, the POV and swinging shots looked superb.

On that note, did you notice after Peter was swinging around the city, he landed on the chair exactly the same way as Tobey did during the dancing scene.
    I just loved how andrew just went whatever and walked off :cool: it was a clever little nod.

On the topic of the movie, I bloody loved it, I thought the chemistry between ES and AG was awesome. And they're both great actors and they fit the characters perfectly :)

The downside is I do think it's a little too long to watch again in the cinemas, but i cant wait till it comes to DVD.
    And I definitely prefer it to Raimi's trilogy, even though I absolutely loved Spiderman 2 :D
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Just seen it. Not bad but then not brilliant either.
    If you've not seen the previous trilogy and aren't all that familiar with the Spidey origin storyline then it'll probably be well received. If like me, you grew up reading the comics and have seen the previous 3 then you do find yourself thinking "yeah yeah yeah - hurry up and shoot the old guy so we can get on with the rest of the story" at times.

No Sarah Jane, no daily bugle and IMO a missed opportunity to play with the Parker/Flash characters at school to fill that void left by JJJ at the Bugle. FX were nice but not nice enough to make this a must see Spidey flick.

One for the DVD rental rather than forking out at the cinema if you ask me.
    They filled JJJ void with Captain Stacey he was the "Get that menace" guy I don't see how Flash would have filled the role of JJJ better since in the comics Flash is always a huge admirer of Spider-man (even though he bullies Peter Parker).

I did like that they made Flash less bullish with the whole he lost someone and that is why he bullies angle.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    Sarah Jane? Mary Jane?

whoops :o

I was a bit tired when I posted
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing it and thought it was pretty poor,although the lad playing Peter Parker was very good & Rhys Ifans was brilliant in it I just didn't like the story and thought it was way over long
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't too bad I suppose but it did drag somewhat near the end of the film

Am curious about
    the post credits scene and the hint at who may be the sequel's bad guy, I'm going for Electro or Green Goblin
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Amazing Spiderman scenes cut from final edit.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a391628/amazing-spider-man-cuts-include-lizard-family-first-person-swinging.html

For anyone who's seen the film did it look like there were scenes or parts of the movie that didn't make much sense and/or felt like they had been cut or edited, etc? Just curious considering the above article.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be off to a great start in the US.
    'Amazing Spider-Man' Sets Tuesday Record

by Ray Subers
    The Amazing Spider-Man

July 4, 2012

Any concerns that audiences wouldn't turn out for another Spider-Man origin story were put to rest on Tuesday, as The Amazing Spider-Man earned a nearly-amazing $35 million in its opening day. That's the highest Tuesday gross ever ahead of the first Transformers movie, which debuted on the exact same day back in 2007.

Transformers did burn off some demand with shows from late Monday shows, though, and adding those grosses ($8.8 million) to its Tuesday gross ($27.9 million) puts it slightly ahead of Spider-Man. Also, The Amazing Spider-Man had the lowest opening day yet in the franchise behind Spider-Man 3 ($59.8 million), Spider-Man 2 ($40.4 million) and the original Spider-Man ($39.4 million).

Spider-Man 2 is the best apples-to-apples comparison, since it opened on the Wednesday leading up to the Fourth of July while the other two movies debuted on the first Friday of May. Through its first six days, that movie wound up earning $180.1 million; if The Amazing Spider-Man follows the same pattern, it will gross at least $150 million by Sunday.

Because of studio closures, there's incomplete data further down the chart. Ted dipped down to second place with an estimated $8.4 million, which brings its five-day total to $71.5 million. It's still noticeably above The Hangover ($59.2 million), and it will easily pass $100 million by Saturday at the latest.

Meanwhile, Magic Mike was actually up nine percent from Monday to Tuesday, and added $5.45 million for a new total of $49.6 million. This day-to-day increase indicates that the movie will have more staying power than its front-loaded opening weekend suggested, and a $100 million total is definitely still in play.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3480
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw this last night

its different but also similar at the same time to raimis movies

now bare in mind that i think raimis trilogy is good but not great so i had no problem with a reboot,i felt it was cast well and entertaining throughout,the night sequences were well shot and looked pretty epic

i wasnt a fan of the new yorker cheese returning from the original trilogy but oh well, to be fair the crane sequence did look class

lizard was a good bad guy at the action scenes were excellent

my only gripe is that spidy wasnt cocky enough, he had cinema ins tiches when he caught the car theif yet after that spidy wasnt as vocal as i would like,but yeh i prefer this spidy to toby maguires

overall 8/10, look foward to the next one.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night and loved it especially as a Spidey fan. Garfield's Peter is much closer to the original Lee/Ditko version and I thought the supporting cast was superb. There was the odd mis-step and cheesiness with cranes that reminded me of the Raimi original.
    The biggest criticism I have of the film is that Spidey had his masked off half the time. I'm surprised that there isn't a single person in New York now who doesn't know who Spider-man is.

As much as I enjoyed Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben I didn't really get any emotional reaction compared to Sam Raimi's version.
    I think that's an exaggeration; I think there's only one instance in the high school where the unmasking made no sense and where people could easily have seen his face.

I was more emotionally engaged with this Uncle Ben than the last too; a great performance by Sheen and combined with what happens before with Ben's lecture including Peter's father view on life and the actions that he takes that bear out this view too made the death mean more for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I can clearly why the film deserved to be a standalone venture seperate from the equally superb 'Avengers Assemble'. Great cast and I've just worked out what films I've seen the stunning Emma Stone in before this.

Hopefully now civilisation will never have to endure the Toby Maguire Spider-Man era ever again.

I shall now freeze myself in anticipation for TDKR. The wait is killing me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man should make a cameo in the next Avengers movie but nothing more than that. We’ve all established that once the pen pushers get their rights sorted out this could happen and all the directors have said they’d love for it to. Even Andrew basically said he’d do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen the movie. I prefer sam raimi's spiderman. I felt the amazing spiderman was much darker and less humorous than the original spiderman movie. I missed John Jonah Jameson and Peter's best friend Harry. I missed the Daily Bugle. I still feel that the Sam Raimi film is much more memorable and iconic and will be the film that sticks into people's mind when they think of spiderman. The upside down kiss was very iconic. The Green goblin is a better villain. The first spiderman will always have a special place in my heart because it is the first time spiderman was brought to life in a movie. It is a better standalone movie than the amazing spiderman.

I don't really care about Peter's first love. Mary Jane is Peter's true love. It is alway Peter and MJ.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they could add mary jane at a later date possibly

emma stone makes a good gwen, better than in raimis films imo

i agree original film is more iconic but this trilogy will be lvoed too,possibly more.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much, much preferred Garfield to Maguire, who I really never bought as Spidey in Raimi's trilogy. It was much better than I expected and I look forward to any sequels.
  • bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would I be right in thinking that the sequel for this film is going to be out in 2016 after the number was alluded to so clearly when Gwen gave Peter her address?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it tonight and thought it was very poor tbh.

The first half meandered along like a mediocre episode of Dawsons Creek, complete with adults trying to play teenagers in a wholly unrealistic manner. The second half, when the action kicked in, was even less engaging, ironically, and the cgi was, quite frankly, embarrassing, especially in the case of the Lizard, it was just dire!

It was also evident that this film has been hacked to pieces and reassembled quite late in the day: compare and contrast the trailer and the film and it's evident they have changed the whole focal point of the storyline, to the extent the post credit coda barely even seems to fit. And as editing goes, it was a bit of poor effort at covering this up.

The only real redeeming feature was that Garfield, when playing Parker, was quite engaging (less so as spider man though), and also I quite enjoyed the low key performances of the ever reliable Field and Sheen.

The only other positive I can really take away from this turkey of a film is that it makes me appreciate how truly expectational a film of this genre that The Avengers really was....now THAT was a film worthy of being called Amazing.

3/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The Amazing Spiderman scenes cut from final edit.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a391628/amazing-spider-man-cuts-include-lizard-family-first-person-swinging.html

For anyone who's seen the film did it look like there were scenes or parts of the movie that didn't make much sense and/or felt like they had been cut or edited, etc? Just curious considering the above article.

Yes, this just reinforces what i said in my review, it was so obvious this film was hacked to pieces and put back together in a bit of a rush.
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd not seen a Spiderman film before this one, but have to say it was brilliant! Very entertaining, suprisingly very funny. It was perfectly cast and i felt the time totally flew by! Saw it with a friend who had seen the previous three spiderman films and she said it was much better the those. Really enjoyable film.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything about this movie met my expectations. It was just so bloody lazy.
    I don't mean the acting. I don't mean the directing. I don't mean the effects. On its own, this film is... okay. It's not great. It's certainly no Avengers and nowhere near Dark Knight, but I'd say it comfortably sits alongside the likes of Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk, and it is nowhere near the dregs of Ang Lee's Hulk.
    But this film does not come alone. It comes with the Raimi films fresh in our minds. Spiderman 1 and 2 are not perfect movies, but they make much more of an impact than this one. A reboot was always going to be a risky venture, but it was not impossible. Trouble is.. the movie was too bloody safe.
    It was the same old origin story we'd already seen. They change several aspects of the film to try and hide this, but at the end of the day its about a bloke who gets bitten by a spider, at first revels in his power and goes a little off the wall, sees his uncle die and chooses to dedicate his life to fight crime. Then, a villain comes along who he has to defeat.
    Most of the things the film actually tries to do differently seem to have been shoved aside, with some producer out there firmly just insisting on a re-use of the things that worked with Raimi. The intriguing revenge plot with the star tattoo is just forgotten about. The disappearing parents are never explained. The Lizard could have been quite good, but I couldn't help feeling he was picked as the bad guy because the best ones had already been seen very recently (Green Goblin, Doc Oct, Venom (though that last one maybe we can forget about)). And the CGI for the Lizard was terrible.

Things do work in this movie, though. Andrew Garfield is a terrific Peter, despite me feeling ironically he was a little too good looking for the role at first. But dude: STOP TAKING OFF YOUR MASK! Yes, I know you have a lead actor who is pretty attractive. But Spider-Man's mask is as much a part of him as his Spider powers! Look at Batman Begins. Christian Bale is an attractive man. Is he taking his mask off every five seconds?
    The cast is brilliant as a whole, and some of the effects, despite looking pretty mediocre in the trailer, are terrific. On the whole, this film had potential to be sooo much better, if only it had been a little braver. The little springlings of that betterness are there to be seen throughout the flick. It's just a shame they couldn't have been developed further.
    And, was I the only one hoping that greedy producers had actually become decent human beings, and that Samuel L Jackson was going to show up at the end, stating that, I dunno, we have a Thanos situation and we need a Spider-Man!!
    In all. Better origin story. Inferior movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Most of the things the film actually tries to do differently seem to have been shoved aside, with some producer out there firmly just insisting on a re-use of the things that worked with Raimi. The intriguing revenge plot with the star tattoo is just forgotten about. The disappearing parents are never explained.

Exactly. Craptastic editing from someone.
  • bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the biggest thing working against this film is that we are only a decade past from the last spider-man origin story. Because of this closeness, it has to try so much harder to do the same things differently. The weighting of Uncle Ben's death was only saved by Martin Sheen doing such an amazing (heh) job as Uncle Ben up to that point. It's hard to build up such an emotional scene when we've only recently been on the same journey. I suspect that if the death wasn't such an instrumental aspect of the spider-man mythos, the film may have done something differently, like it did with the inclusion of Gwen Stacy at the expense of Mary Jane, and the exclusion of the Daily Bugle and shunting Norman Osborne to name-drop territory. I'd imagine their inclusion in ASM2, when we've all hopefully forgotten the Raimi films, all but certain.

However, I don't think it is a bad film. Far from it. I think Andrew Garfield is a far superior spider-man/Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire and the action scenes, in particular the increased emphasis and originality of the webbing during the fighting. People have been critical of the Lizard as a villain but this film has just continued the trend of poor villains in origin films.

All in all, If this film had been done in 2022 instead of 2012 or if the Raimi films had not been made I can't help but feel amazing spider-man would be getting far more praise. Unfortunately Sony are so desperate to hang onto it'd cash cow it has produced a film that just feels slightly unnecessary and left me feeling like this is just a time killer until we get The Dark Knight Rises in a few weeks. The almost perfect superhero film that is The Avengers probably doesn't help this movie as it really has pushed the bar in terms of superhero films.

Overall I liked this film but I feel that it was given to us at the wrong time.