why is parks and recreation on bbc4

Comments

• Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it. Even in SD. You can see where 2012 got its inspiration from.

I think fans of that excellent UK series would get the spirit of Parks and Recreation which is all about ordinary people trying to do good things in the face of apathy and bureaucracy.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Ratings from last night:

Episode 1 - 371k (2%)
    Episode 2 - 293k (1.8%)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I loved it. Even in SD. You can see where 2012 got its inspiration from.

I think fans of that excellent UK series would get the spirit of Parks and Recreation which is all about ordinary people trying to do good things in the face of apathy and bureaucracy.

2012 was shit. If it's anything seriously like that, I may drop out now (I watch too much TV I should probably get vicious)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2012 was shit. If it's anything seriously like that, I may drop out now (I watch too much TV I should probably get vicious)

Don't drop out before getting to season 2, it does get better, I know everyone might be saying that but it does, plus season 1 is only 6 episodes so its not a long wait:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Ratings from last night:

Episode 1 - 371k (2%)
    Episode 2 - 293k (1.8%)

I don't have much experience with ratings but I'm hoping those numbers are good
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    So does this continue to be a fairly safe Office a-like (US office)? First couple of eps left me a bit cold.

The first season is a bit slow, but season two is where it really started to become a great show. That's what makes it a hard show to recommend to people, because many won't stick with it long enough to come to appreciate it. You can't just skip the first season either, because it's such a character driven show, you need to be familiar with them.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this, for the first time on iplayer. I thought the first 2 episodes they had, were great.
    Forum Member
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    Don't drop out before getting to season 2, it does get better, I know everyone might be saying that but it does, plus season 1 is only 6 episodes so its not a long wait:)

Assuming they roll directly into season 2, which they probably won't...

EDIT: Looks like BBC Four will air both fairly close together. Both season 1 and 2 are schedule for DVD release by Fabulous Films on June 3rd...

http://fabulousfilms.com/products/123 (S1)
    http://fabulousfilms.com/products/124 (S2)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Finally! This is the reason I wanted it to get picked up over here, not to get more people watching it (because let's be honest not many are going to stick with the first series, sadly) but because I can finally own this great series on dvd. Roll on June 3rd! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched but I was underwhelmed...may be it isn't for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    I watched but I was underwhelmed...may be it isn't for me.

It depends on which comedy you like Parks and Rec is very character driven like The Office.
    Again if you can stick with it till season 2 and see if it improves it might grow on you:)
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Yup, after watching the first ep I deleted the second ep and the series link. I find nothing remotely funny about awkward, inept folk, they're just annoying. One of the reasons why I found The Office to be a total laugh-free zone too.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    Yup, after watching the first ep I deleted the second ep and the series link. I find nothing remotely funny about awkward, inept folk, they're just annoying. One of the reasons why I found The Office to be a total laugh-free zone too.

Regards

Mark

See, I don't get this.

With every single show I always give the first season a free pass. Sometimes it takes a little while extra to click with you, takes you sometime to grow into the characters or takes some time for the show to get good. If I just watched a pilot and gave up on a show straight away I'd probably watch about 2 tv shows in total.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2012 was shit.

If you mean Twenty-Twelve, no it wasn't.
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    If you mean Twenty-Twelve, no it wasn't.

It wasn't funny at all.... I watched an episode not a single laugh (and I couldn't even work out what was supposed to be funny about it)...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See, I don't get this.

With every single show I always give the first season a free pass. Sometimes it takes a little while extra to click with you, takes you sometime to grow into the characters or takes some time for the show to get good. If I just watched a pilot and gave up on a show straight away I'd probably watch about 2 tv shows in total.

I agree, I give 1 hr shows a 4 episode trial and sitcoms around 5-6 episodes (seeing as they have half the time to tell their story).

I guess those of us who have seen the show can only say it gets better from season 2. Im just hoping theres an audience when s2 eventually starts in 3 weeks time haha
  • mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regards

Mark

who says regards then their name in a post? seriously?

no wonder you dont like parks you probably didnt get it
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    mizhog wrote: »
    who says regards then their name in a post?
    I do?
    seriously?
    Yup, seriously.
    no wonder you dont like parks you probably didnt get it
    Well, could be, ya never know. I expect I'll die young now, or summat. Still, one person's wonderous comedy is another person's purile drivel an' all that. What an insanely eclectic world we live in, eh?.

Regards

Mark
  • Stephen AStephen A Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trust me, this gets way better as you go through the series. I almost gave up during series 1 but I am so glad I didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulfam1 wrote: »
    It depends on which comedy you like Parks and Rec is very character driven like The Office.
    Again if you can stick with it till season 2 and see if it improves it might grow on you:)

I liked the office. If both shows were foods the Office would be like a savoury dish with layers of complex adult tastes. P&R to me is blander and the taste, not as sharp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, this is brilliant.

An ex-pat friend of mine has been raving about this for ages.

Surely, if anyone here on DS works, they can identify with all of the characters
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Assuming they roll directly into season 2, which they probably won't...

EDIT: Looks like BBC Four will air both fairly close together. Both season 1 and 2 are schedule for DVD release by Fabulous Films on June 3rd...

http://fabulousfilms.com/products/123 (S1)
    http://fabulousfilms.com/products/124 (S2)

Thank you for this information.

Literally the only reason why i wanted any channel to pick it up was to see a R2 DVD release.

And BBC Four did state somewhere it was showing seasons 1 & 2 back to back.
    Forum Member

Regards

Mark

If you don't like the office ( UK or US ) then i wouldn't even bother with this show.

To others thinking the first episode was just ok, i can't stress enough how much better this show gets. Probably the only good thing about the show being picked up so late is that you can say it gets better with some confidence. It's showing season 1 and 2 back to back so hopefully some loyal following will stay with it.
    Forum Member
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    I liked the office. If both shows were foods the Office would be like a savoury dish with layers of complex adult tastes. P&R to me is blander and the taste, not as sharp.

I thought the same until season 2 kicks in. Though The Office UK just trumps them both easily.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    dixie13 wrote: »
    I thought the same until season 2 kicks in. Though The Office UK just trumps them both easily.

The UK Office doesn't trump either of them, actually. Comic characters can be dislikeable, but David Brent was so dislikeable he was wearying to watch, especially in the second series.