Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    still got the flu so listened on the radio, although my mate who did watch tells me that we should have had a pen and that their goal at the end was Flappy's fault. Arsene Knows.....how to stuff it up.

jan Molby on the radio said AW hasn't learned from the european away games where he rested players that the bench en masse aren't good enough. As Molby said, they couldn't beat Braga!
    Chelsea scratched a win last night against Bolton (much better side than Wigan) and Carlo knew he had no choice but to pick his 1st team - much older than ours too - as the bench isn't good enough.
    Diaby won't leave for as long as AW is at Arsenal. He loves him
  • CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no need to weigh up Diaby's future at the club just because of a calf strain, he's not played properly for a long time and injuries like that are common in his situation.

Wenger should never have started him so soon after the Chelsea game, he may have only played 20 minutes but he hadn't played before since September so he was already asking too much of him.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    CarlosVela wrote: »
    There's no need to weigh up Diaby's future at the club just because of a calf strain, he's not played properly for a long time and injuries like that are common in his situation.

Wenger should never have started him so soon after the Chelsea game, he may have only played 20 minutes but he hadn't played before since September so he was already asking too much of him.

That's fine if you want a player who hardly plays. The fact that he did start would suggest that he was fully fit. He is unable to put in a decent run of games and it will need looking at come the summer. He is of no use to anyone in a footballing sense if he's unable to play due to persistent injuries.
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has probably been mentioned before on the thread, but I'm starting to wonder about the competence (for want of a better word) of our backroom/physio staff. I'm sure I don't remember this many long-term injuries when Gary Lewin was our physio.

How the hell can a calf strain rule someone out for 'some weeks'? I just don't get it. Tendon or ligament damage, yeah ok, but a calf strain? All our players seem to be made of candyfloss these days!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    That's fine if you want a player who hardly plays. The fact that he did start would suggest that he was fully fit. He is unable to put in a decent run of games and it will need looking at come the summer. He is of no use to anyone in a footballing sense if he's unable to play due to persistent injuries.

That criteria could be used for 90% of the current squad and it's ridiculous.

He's made 7 starts this season, 4 more than Vermaelen and 1 less than Walcott, i guess we should look at getting rid of them too because of persistent injuries?

Diaby was one of the most amount of starts for us last season, more than Nasri, Clichy and Arshavin, and made more appearances than Fabregas and Song. I guess we should get rid of those guys too because of persistent injuries, right?
    flyingv wrote: »
    This has probably been mentioned before on the thread, but I'm starting to wonder about the competence (for want of a better word) of our backroom/physio staff. I'm sure I don't remember this many long-term injuries when Gary Lewin was our physio.

How the hell can a calf strain rule someone out for 'some weeks'? I just don't get it. Tendon or ligament damage, yeah ok, but a calf strain? All our players seem to be made of candyfloss these days!

I think Wenger adds a week just to be safe now, it's crazy.

But i totally agree with your sentiments regarding the medical staff, there are clear problems there that need to be addressed.
    Forum Member
    That criteria could be used for 90% of the current squad and it's ridiculous.

He's made 7 starts this season, 4 more than Vermaelen and 1 less than Walcott, i guess we should look at getting rid of them too because of persistent injuries?

Diaby was one of the most amount of starts for us last season, more than Nasri, Clichy and Arshavin, and made more appearances than Fabregas and Song. I guess we should get rid of those guys too because of persistent injuries, right?

Verm has suffered an impact injury and that is taking a while to heal. I would not call him an injury prone player. Walcott has had some unlucky injuries but not sure I would call him injury prone either.

I am looking at Diaby's time at Arsenal as a whole, not just this season. He was terribly unlucky when his ankle was shattered but that was a while ago now. I just think he is one of the players that will come under scrutiny about his long term future at this club. I believe also there is an issue still about his ankle, though not sure if it was the broken one or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Verm has suffered an impact injury and that is taking a while to heal. I would not call him an injury prone player. Walcott has had some unlucky injuries but not sure I would call him injury prone either.

I am looking at Diaby's time at Arsenal as a whole, not just this season. He was terribly unlucky when his ankle was shattered but that was a while ago now. I just think he is one of the players that will come under scrutiny about his long term future at this club. I believe also there is an issue still about his ankle, though not sure if it was the broken one or not.

I did mention Diaby's record for us last season, and even in the 08-09 season he had more appearances for us than Fabregas and Walcott and only one less than Adebayor. Certainly not a player who deserves to be scrutinised when other players don't have better health records than him.

Also, RVP's last two injuries have been impact injuries (you can thank Chiellini and Phil Jones for that) but he somehow is labelled injury prone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its really careless of the staff at the club that Diaby was quickly thrown into action and got himself injured again. He should have been eased back into the side as we all knew he'd more than likely end up in the treatment room again. RVP was made to slowly work his way back into the team, which has been benificial to him and us so Diaby should have been made to do the same. Now he's out for who knows how long (never trust the estimates given by the club - 2 weeks always turn to 4 etc) and I know some of you may not care but if he's to have a future here or if we're going to get decent money for him, his injuries will count against him. So much effort and hope to be put into a player who spends a lot of time with the physios rather than his team mates is a massive shame.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did mention Diaby's record for us last season, and even in the 08-09 season he had more appearances for us than Fabregas and Walcott and only one less than Adebayor. Certainly not a player who deserves to be scrutinised when other players don't have better health records than him.

Also, RVP's last two injuries have been impact injuries (you can thank Chiellini and Phil Jones for that) but he somehow is labelled injury prone.

I've always thought of Diaby as an injury prone bambi who goes missing in action regularly. There's no doubt the injury at Sunderland has affected him and IMHO he isn't good enough to play at the highest level. We should look to offload him but I'm sure Wenger will give him a new deal 1st!!:rolleyes:
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Transfer window open again tomorrow and for me it's as simple as if he buys a commanding centre half who can actually defend then we have a reasonable chance of winning the league this season,.
    The French clowns are simply not good enough, Djourou is fine to cover for Vermaelen never ending injury, and then be 'third man'.

Samba will do, please Arsene.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Transfer window open again tomorrow and for me it's as simple as if he buys a commanding centre half who can actually defend then we have a reasonable chance of winning the league this season,.
    The French clowns are simply not good enough, Djourou is fine to cover for Vermaelen never ending injury, and then be 'third man'.

Samba will do, please Arsene.

I'd agree with that but think it's highly doubtful that we'll get anyone. He ignored the Striker issue last Jan, ignored the GK issue for 2 years and won't want to admit he's made a mistake with those 2. They'll be his projects for a good while yet.
    I think it's more likely we'll end up with nobody again, or another short attacking midfielder.
  • naveennaveen Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    I'd agree with that but think it's highly doubtful that we'll get anyone. He ignored the Striker issue last Jan, ignored the GK issue for 2 years and won't want to admit he's made a mistake with those 2. They'll be his projects for a good while yet.
    I think it's more likely we'll end up with nobody again, or another short attacking midfielder.

Samba would help out for the rest of the season, for long term though i would like to see Wenger go for Per Mertesacker from Werder Bremen. Him and Tommy together in the middle would give us a solid base for several years
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know as well as I do that we will NOT buy a centre half unless Vermaelen is ruled out for the season. Almunia and probably Vela will leave but we'll go with what we have I'm afraid. There simply isn't any need to improve the squad when we're guaranteed 3rd or 4th and a carling cup.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dripping in sarcasm there Tel :D
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Both wenger and sir Alex have today said that they will not be making any signings in the transfer window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Alex has a defence so doesn't need to !
    And Arsene hasn't said anything of the kind
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-won-t-rule-out-january-signing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposedly this will be our home shirt for the 2011-12 season

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/images/Arsenal_1112_nike_leaked.jpg

Celebrating the club's 125th anniversary and it will all be red and white, including the badge
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Sir Alex has a defence so doesn't need to !
    And Arsene hasn't said anything of the kind
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-i-won-t-rule-out-january-signing

Sorry, it was just said on talksport so I should really have known better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wenger's always weird around January time and very unpredictable.

Last year he was the same and signed Sol back on a free, but the year before he splashed the cash on Arshavin, but the 2 January's prior he didn't sign anyone but then in 05-06 he bought Adebayor, Diaby and Walcott. So in 5 years he's only spent money in 2 Winter windows, signed a free transfer in 1 and didn't bother in 2 others.

There isn't really a pattern to Wenger in the Winter window but if the numbers prove anything it's that we shouldn't expect much.
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Wenger wants a centre-half he should go for Pedro Geromel - he's brilliant!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be completely gobsmacked if Wenger signs a CB in January. Like others have you have said if Vermaelen is ruled out for the rest of the season and provided that happens early on in the window then that is a distinct possibility. No chance we'll sign a player in another position even if we do sell, Arsene will just promote from within and say that signing a new player would kill JET/Lansbury/Eastmond etc. Not getting hopes up at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Eastmond, barely mentioned these days.
    Surely his days are numbered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vermaelen is due back early January isn't he?

I'd still like us to go for Samba if we do try to buy someone, he'd be available for the Champions League at least
    Forum Member
    Vermaelen is due back early January isn't he?

I'd still like us to go for Samba if we do try to buy someone, he'd be available for the Champions League at least

Pravda...

On December 22, when asked for a time-scale for the Belgian, Arsene Wenger was understandably wary given the centre back has been absent since August 28. "I would rather say late January. He is short on fitness and we have to build it up. That will take three to four weeks. He has started now and the signs are good. But I have been hit so many times with backlash that I am very cautious with Vermaelen.” On December 30, he was ruled out of the game against Birmingham.
This discussion has been closed.