Cats versus dogs

Comments

• elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    We once had one that refused to use the cat flap, she was renamed Lady Muck. :)

my cat refuses to use a cat flap, she would instead climb up a tree, jump from the branch on to a balcony, jump from the blacony on to the window ledge and climb through a small top window into my bedroom. It was a bit of a nasty surprise when she did it with half eaten mice or actual live mice.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    What's your number I've got one near me, have you tried STFU!

See? There's everywhere!

It's not like I live on a sink estate or anything - this one is in one of the huge detatched houses (worth about £1.5M) that back on to our slighlty more humble abodes. The have a huge garden, so it's not like it's confined or anything - but it they leave it out it just barks and barks until you would think it would loose it's "voice" (they never seem to).

Luckily I'm not next door, otherwise I think I'd get an air rifle ;)
  • daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I'm glad you posted that. I was beginning to get a little concerned.

.......:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure who decided that cats were easier to look after, but I don't buy it. Dogs eat inside and shit outside, cats eat outside and shit inside. I know which way around I'd rather have it.

In any case, why bother getting a pet if you don't want to look after it? Look out the window and pretend one of the birds is your pet, it's free and you'll never have to look after it (unless your neighbours cat decides to kill it and drag it to their back door). :D
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    See? There's everywhere!

It's not like I live on a sink estate or anything - this one is in one of the huge detatched houses (worth about £1.5M) that back on to our slighlty more humble abodes. The have a huge garden, so it's not like it's confined or anything - but it they leave it out it just barks and barks until you would think it would loose it's "voice" (they never seem to).

Luckily I'm not next door, otherwise I think I'd get an air rifle ;)

My couple are definitely nouveau riche. She has a mouth like a sewer and a foghorn combined. They smoke like chimneys, argue, drink at all hours, play their music loud with the door open all night but live in a glorious detached house costing £1,000 pcm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    but live in a glorious detached house costing £1,000 pcm.

Send 'em round here. That'll sort it. They'd get a 1 or just possibly a 2 bed flat for that money, so doggy would have to go ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jy1541 wrote: »
    cats eat outside and shit inside.
    :confused:

No, no, no - that's one of those back-to-front cats. Get a normal one and it will eat/excrete in the traditional inside/outside method.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Send 'em round here. That'll sort it. They'd get a 1 or just possibly a 2 bed flat for that money, so doggy would have to go ;)

I live in South Wales mun. Can get a mansion for peanuts down here. :D
  • well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Yes, I'm fully aware of that.

Keeping a cat on a lead is cruel? Why not a dog?

Keeping dogs confined houses and gardens is fine? Why not cats?

We keep our dogs confined to the rear garden and woe betide any cats that wander in because if the dogs don't get to them our son will and he's a pretty good shot with a catapult.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    If my cat ever poos in someone else's garden, I take away his Playstation rights and force him to listen to old Jason Donovan records on loop.

Good one.

But on a serious note, if your cat was being a pest by going into someone else's garden and they asked you to do something about it, would you offer to pay for one or some of the various methods that might be employed in deterring your cat from said persons garden? Or would you just shrug your shoulders and say you can't help it?

Question open to all cat owners.
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats are for women and gays, Dogs are for tramps, people who keep have dogs usually smell.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    well2do wrote: »
    We keep our dogs confined to the rear garden and woe betide any cats that wander in because if the dogs don't get to them our son will and he's a pretty good shot with a catapult.

So your Son likes to torture and/or kill animals then? Have you considered taking him to a shrink?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats are for women and gays, Dogs are for tramps, people who keep have dogs usually smell.

And these are for people like you.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Perfection wrote: »
    So your fully aware of cats being 'free spirits' but then go on to ask the above questions :confused:

Can't remember hearing about any cats killing or seriously injuring a human. No doubt someone will find one case, this is DS afterall.
    I'm fully aware of the legal position. I can still ask the same questions.

I can't remember posting anything about cats killing or seriously injuring a human so I'm not sure what that has to do with me.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm..... I was made quite ill by a cat. I used to volunteer at a local rescue and was helping out worm a load of feral cats taken out of a house belonging to an elderly person. I was scratched and bitten quite badly by one cat, it caught a vein, bled like hell and became infected, I still have the scars!

I still like cats though, dogs too. I live in a small flat, therefore I have a small dog. If I didn't live so near a busy road where cats are frequently squashed, I'd have a cat too :p

Since taking on a terrier, I've never had any trouble from neighbourhood cats, even the this year's blackbird chicks survived :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who pissed in your Cheerios, this morning:D
  • JackieboJackiebo Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Cats are evil. Dogs are loyal.

I completely agree with the BIB. In fact, it's the reason why I'd take cats over dogs any day. I don't mind dogs, but cats have their own agenda. It's why they fascinate me, and dogs don't.

Our youngest cat (9 months) treats me with utter contempt! He looks at me like he's thinking 'What the **** is that?'. He only speaks to me if he wants a treat. Actually, that's wrong, he only shouts at me if he wants a treat. His shouting sounds to me like, 'You - slave. Food. Now!' and I comply because I know he is my better.

I admit it- I'm a cat slave! I'd post his pic on here, but I'm not sure that I can photograph him, coz I've noticed he doesn't have any reflection!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackiebo wrote: »
    I completely agree with the BIB. In fact, it's the reason why I'd take cats over dogs any day. I don't mind dogs, but cats have their own agenda. It's why they fascinate me, and dogs don't.

Our youngest cat (9 months) treats me with utter contempt! He looks at me like he's thinking 'What the **** is that?'. He only speaks to me if he wants a treat. Actually, that's wrong, he only shouts at me if he wants a treat. His shouting sounds to me like, 'You - slave. Food. Now!' and I comply because I know he is my better.

I admit it- I'm a cat slave! I'd post his pic on here, but I'm not sure that I can photograph him, coz I've noticed he doesn't have any reflection!:)

Can your cat be my surrogate cat in the Ethernet?, love that cat! ... please! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daddy66 wrote: »
    Can your cat be my surrogate cat in the Ethernet?, love that cat! ... please! :)

Certainly, his full name is Ozzie Osbourne, Prince of Darkness, but he will also acknowledge 'Prince' or 'Sir'
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I don't care about other people's dogs but I adore my dog. I don't like cats, they scare me and give me asthma attacks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    I don't care about other people's dogs but I adore my dog. I don't like cats, they scare me and give me asthma attacks.

I know what you mean. I never used to like cats either, and was a bit scared of them, then a neighbour's cat, with the most engaging nature changed my opinion.

A few years later I got my own cats, one of whom was Maisie (i've posted about her in the pet forum previously). Maisie was a cat like no other cat. She had been a feral and just decided that we were larger, deformed, cats. She saw us as her 'tribe'. When my son, who is 19, was born, she just decided that he was her kitten, and would hiss and growl if anyone apart from my husband or I went near him. Most of his baby photos have a wee, very worried looking, cat in the background. He was horrible to her when he was a toddler, but she just put up with it all. She died early last year at aged 22 (we think, she may have been older when we got her). I'll never forget her.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cat; The Beast, he has that cat trait, where he keeps you on your toes, be aloof, independent and annoying.

But he behaves a bit like a dog, in that he loves me loads, and scampers to me when he hears the car or the front door and squeaks.

And if me an the OH are in the kitchen chatting, he will batter through the cat flap for attention, the OH will call him, I will do nothing, but it is me he want's to pick him up for hugs.

I like dogs but they seem to hate my guts;

When I was teeny, the parents had a dog, Sabre, they had to get rid of it because he would try to climb my play pen (remember them:p) snarling to get at me.

When I was an apprentice, a Rotweiler, chased and bit me whilst I was carrying some cables from the van.

Even the family dog, a placid Labrador, would give me evils, even when he got old and feeble and I was helping him out of the car because he didn't want to jump he would growl.

I'll stick with cats:D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Fortunately, not all cat owners are like that.

There are two cats that come into my garden and try to use it as a toilet but when I see them, they get stuff thrown at them. I mentioned it to one neighbour who owns one of the cats and she was not interested. "It's what cats do", and the usual selfish crap that some cat owners come out with.

I've had cats since 1994, and in all that time, not one neighbour has ever complained about them. Nor do I know of any of the neighbourhood cats who've been complained about ~ and there are many.

The vast majority of cats actually either use their own litter tray, or crap in their own garden, rather than a neighbour's. Mine has her own private spot in a thicket of bushes just outside the conservatory.
    elliecat wrote: »
    :D:D dogs are a bit wimpy sometimes especially with cats.

I shall never forget the time a huge bull mastiff wandered into my porch at my previous house having slipped his owner's leash. Big powerful dog, yet when my cat of that time, saw him, she came running down the stairs to either confront him, or see what was going on, as I'd already opened the door. As soon as he saw the cat he cowered in the corner of the porch whining. It was really odd & my cat looked at me as if to say "WTF is the matter with him" :D
    Nickelback wrote: »
    I like both,but i do prefer a cat..

Every Thursday when i go visit my mum, i often see this old chap walking down the street with his two dogs and three cats,walking in harmony it's very amusing!!:D

And i've seen cats run to greet their owners.cats are very misunderstood..:)

Cats are like people. They're all different, with diverse personalities and temperaments. Some are friendly
    and affectionate. Some are aloof and cold.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I've had cats since 1994, and in all that time, not one neighbour has ever complained about them. Nor do I know of any of the neighbourhood cats who've been complained about ~ and there are many.

The vast majority of cats actually either use their own litter tray, or crap in their own garden, rather than a neighbour's. Mine has her own private spot in a thicket of bushes just outside the conservatory.
    Most owners I know don't provide a litter tray. That's what outdoors is for.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackiebo wrote: »

I admit it- I'm a cat slave!

Perfect illustration of the other weird thing about cat owners. They say freaky stuff like this.