What is your blood group?

Comments

• NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister and mum are both O negative, and I was very relieved to find out I was O+ as I didn't want the anti D injection during labour which is supposed to really knack. Like labour doesn't hurt enough.

Impressed with all the donors.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A+ apparently. Bought one of those self test kits. Don't know if they are accurate.

Well generally hospitals don't take the patients word for what blood type they are anyway. They pump in O neg if it's life and death whilst they do their own blood type test. If it's a planed operation they will have time to find out your blood type before.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm A negative - the blood group of higher beings apparently.

I think you might be right there.;)
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I am A+ [ A Positive ]
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter is A neg and asked how likely it was that her expected baby would have a positive blood group as her husband was O neg when she went for her first anti-d jab.

When the nurse said it wasn't possible for the baby to be pos but still wanted her to have the anti-d...when questioned further she looked shifty said is was 'just in case.....', as in just in case the baby wasn't actually her husbands. :eek:
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rhesus negative.

The joys of numerous blood tests when you find out you're pregnant with this blood group, and don't get me started on Anti D injections.

I remember them well :eek:

Rhesus neg obviously, but I don't know what group.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I'm A+

what be you?

I have no idea. I've never asked.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have stock or all blood types but as I posted, they can stick O neg into anyone.

When I last donated they were all over me as yes O neg is quite common, but only me and one other O neg had been in that day and so they treated me like Royalty.

O neg having no factors in it can (and usually is) separated into its component parts and can be given to new born babies without fear of rejection. So they love it when an O neg comes in. Common but the most useful blood in life saving situations.

I thought O negative was roughly 7% of the population ?
    Not massively common if so ?
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm A+, only know because I've had a baby (they tell you when you are preggers as they need to know your blood type)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I'm Scottish. 90% proof. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member

..& Irn Bru!

Mine is 99% strong coffee...

Seriously tho, I thought O+ was the universal donor?
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B Rh -ve.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    My daughter is A neg and asked how likely it was that her expected baby would have a positive blood group as her husband was O neg when she went for her first anti-d jab.

When the nurse said it wasn't possible for the baby to be pos but still wanted her to have the anti-d...when questioned further she looked shifty said is was 'just in case.....', as in just in case the baby wasn't actually her husbands. :eek:

:eek: How terribly rude!
    Forum Member
    Seriously tho, I thought O+ was the universal donor?

I think I'll have to rely on a universal blood group, as I don't know mine, right now.

I'm a bit worried to be honest.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm B+... as is my husband. It's quite rare - only 8% of the population have the same blood group as us, so it's good to know that should one of us need a donation, the other is standing by!

http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I think I'll have to rely on a universal blood group, as I don't know mine, right now.

I'm a bit worried to be honest.

It is O neg. O+ (mine) is just most common which is why they need more!

I've given 72 pints and still don't understand how it works!

You shouldn't worry, they always have the universal one available, or if you are really concerned, either tell your Doc it is worrying you and ask to see the phlebotomist - or give a pint and it will be on your donor card when it arrives.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things to worry about!
    Forum Member
    It is O neg. O+ (mine) is just most common which is why they need more!

I've given 72 pints and still don't understand how it works!

You shouldn't worry, they always have the universal one available, or if you are really concerned, either tell your Doc it is worrying you and ask to see the phlebotomist - or give a pint and it will be on your donor card when it arrives.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things to worry about!

Thanks Scotch for explaining. Much respect to anybody who gives blood. However, I have a major phobia about needles, along with flying, heights etc.
  • aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    A negative . I've given over 60 donations but have just been put on some medication and not sure if they will want mine anymore !
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter if you know your blood group or not. Every hospital patient requiring blood has their blood cross-matched, not just their grouping but to ensure it is compatible with other constituents (eg, certain antibodies) that may be present in recipient and donor blood. Even in emergency scenarios we prefer to give cross-matched blood but there is always O negative blood available if blood needs to be given immediately. However, most of the time it is better and safer to wait for the cross-matched blood which, in emergency situations, can be prepared by the transfusion lab within 30 minutes. We can sustain blood pressure with other fluids until the blood is ready. I work in ITU and am part of the emergency team that attends critical situations (such as cardiac arrests) and I have rarely seen O negative blood given.

No doctor ever takes the patient's word for their blood grouping, there are very strict protocols to be followed and, as I have said, there are other factors in blood so it's not just about the grouping. Even blood that has been prepared as compatible, if not all used immediately and stored in a special fridge, cannot be used after about 72 hours because the patient will likely have developed antibodies to that blood (even though it is the same group) and so will need a fresh blood sample taken and be re cross-matched should they require further transfusions.

I'm not even sure of my own blood group, I don't need to know. I did give blood years ago but I was turned down once for being anaemic and underweight so I never bothered again. I think I'm A neg.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am A+ [ A Positive ]
    Yep - that's me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    B-. I gave blood for the first time in January and I'm going again in May!
    Unsual only 2% of the uk population have it yet there's 3 of us in this tiny thread!
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha!

I'm O+ and hubby is O-
  • guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is A+ a good blood group. That what I'm what does it mean?
  • anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm A+.
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    Is A+ a good blood group. That what I'm what does it mean?

Blood is blood. As long as it looks (rather) red and if you do have minor injuries your blood clots sooner rather than later, then things are working as per intended.

That's enough for me, particularly judging by some of the informative responses on here.