Ella Henderson is the "new Adele"...?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh i do. US had her set out as the next Mariah/Whitney

I also recall Clive davis (who discovered whitney) was suppose to take her under his wing who would apparently get her to record a second album that would be even bigger, a hugely successful world tour and turn her into a hollywood movie actress with a Bodyguard type film role. But when Echo underperformed, he didn't want to know anymore. I do wonder if there is some truth to this. Clive is heavily rumoured at treating some of his artists like crap and dropping them at the first sign of them gaining any control or an underperformance of a single or album. Kelly clarkson will easily vouch for this. But Whitney was the apple of his eye and treated her like a princess regardless.

Clive Davis was clueless about what the public wanted from Leona. He said something like that Leona fans want an album of boring sad slow songs with one or two uptempo numbers, and basically restricted Leona to the layout of her first album.

Actually many Leona fans were a little disappointed with a her first album. Initial fans were ALL about her voice. It was disappointing to hear an album full of dirges without showing off her vocals to the max. Also she had been allowed to emphasize those annoying vocal habits, such as the wobble, and the weak lower register, which may put off casual fans who wanted to hear the spectacular parts of her voice.

As an initial fan, I expected progress with her second album, but when it followed a similar format, I gave up on her ever doing good music and jumped ship.

Basically, Clive Davis noted that Spirit was successful, but then made Leona continue with every bad aspect of that album thinking that these things (boring songs, vocal quirks) were responsible for that success, when in fact they were merely tolerated by many fans.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Ella is more a new Leona ie an artist who has one big single & album but then fades as her label can't do shit unless their a boyband were they'll last longer before fading

Whilst I'll happily agree Syco are SHIT at managing their female stars, Leona didn't fade away after Bleeding Love & Spirit at all. There is so much evidence of that. Besides she's about to come out with her 5th album and is still doing well and shall rise again in popularity now she's with a company who will actually support her properly and not do the stupid shit Syco did.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the trend of saying someone is "the new..." really ridiculous. Why can't people be themselves? Why is having individuality and your own identity so undesirable?

I love Ella's album but she's nothing like Adele. No one is, really.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squatch wrote: »
    Clive Davis was clueless about what the public wanted from Leona. He said something like that Leona fans want an album of boring sad slow songs with one or two uptempo numbers, and basically restricted Leona to the layout of her first album.

Actually many Leona fans were a little disappointed with a her first album. Initial fans were ALL about her voice. It was disappointing to hear an album full of dirges without showing off her vocals to the max. Also she had been allowed to emphasize those annoying vocal habits, such as the wobble, and the weak lower register, which may put off casual fans who wanted to hear the spectacular parts of her voice.

As an initial fan, I expected progress with her second album, but when it followed a similar format, I gave up on her ever doing good music and jumped ship.

Basically, Clive Davis noted that Spirit was successful, but then made Leona continue with every bad aspect of that album thinking that these things (boring songs, vocal quirks) were responsible for that success, when in fact they were merely tolerated by many fans.

I didn't think echo and spirit had any similar format. But i do find the first album a little overated. It's just an album mariah carey could of recorded. I felt with Echo she shifted away from that and did a pop album that sounded more like her.