Options

ITV1 HD & STV HD nighttime movies thread

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Starting this thread to pre warn people about any decent (usually older) HD films that get hidden away in the early hours, i.e. in the past, Psycho, Anne of the Thousand Days, Missouri Breaks. The Appaloosa (starring Marlon Brando) which was on last night on STV HD, although not OAR, was a very sharp transfer, screenshots:

Brando one, two, three, four , five , six

Anjanette Comer one, two, three

John Saxon one, two

Emilio Fernández one, two

Rafael Campos?

Two unknown bandits

Landscape/horses one, two , three, four , five

Close ups- silver cross, silver buckle, dirt

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To start with, tonight, STV HD is showing Be Cool (2005) starring John Travolta & Uma Thurman at 03:00-05:00, repeated on Friday morning 01:45-03:45, the first showing may be signed the second not as the audio is marked visual impaired, but usually if it's availiable in HD the signing is usually only on the SD channel. On Thursday morning ITV1 HD is showing The Cowboy Way (1994) starring Woody Harrelson & Kiefer Sutherland from 02:30-04:20 and on Saturday morning Species:The Awakening (2007) from 03:00 - 04:40 starring Ben Cross & Helena Mattson. On Monday morning STV HD is showing The Life of David Gale (2003) starring Kevin Spacey & Kate Winslet from 00:25 - 02:35.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be Cool (2005) last night was in HD as I suspected even though the SD channel was signed, not OAR as per usual & Appaloosa was actually sharper, screenies:

Travolta, Travolta & Thurman, Thurman, Dwayne Johnson, Vince Vaughn 1 & 2, Harvey Keitel 1 & 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No feedback on this:(? I thought it might be worth doing as Freesat has so few HD movies- I realise most people have ignored these last night films in the past as they tended to be signed, but now as ITV has moven to HD on all their main channels, the likelyhood the films will be an upscaled version of the (signed) SD version is much less than previously.
  • Options
    mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, as they are usually not OAR and DOGged to death (so much for the rumour that they were going to dim the DOG :() ITV HD movies are more or less a non-starter for me.

Your grabs do remind me though that STV is much less bad, and is probably acceptable on a commercial station. (Again, just speaking personally.) If there were more OAR screenings, or at least a place where we can find out reliably what the AR is in advance, I'd be more inclined to pay attention.
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a Panasonic BluRay recorder for 3 weeks now & all but one of the ITV filkms have been flagged, so I can't record them to BluRay disc unless I re encode them to SD. How stupid can that be.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mwardy wrote: »
    Personally, as they are usually not OAR and DOGged to death (so much for the rumour that they were going to dim the DOG :() ITV HD movies are more or less a non-starter for me.
    The lack of OAR is annoying, but Appaloosa was still damn sharp as you can see above, not even availiable on blu ray yet. Another point to bear in mind is you get far fewer ad breaks at that time of night.
    Your grabs do remind me though that STV is much less bad, and is probably acceptable on a commercial station. (Again, just speaking personally.) If there were more OAR screenings, or at least a place where we can find out reliably what the AR is in advance, I'd be more inclined to pay attention.
    The STV DOG is definitely much less off putting than the ITV1 DOG, I think there is hope for more OAR as ITV2&4 HD seem to have got hold of new prints recently for the HD launch which will hopefully filter through to ITV1 HD.
    Humid wrote: »
    I've had a Panasonic BluRay recorder for 3 weeks now & all but one of the ITV filkms have been flagged, so I can't record them to BluRay disc unless I re encode them to SD. How stupid can that be.:(
    Can you record in non freesat mode- as I understand it with the Humax the protection is removed then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Can you record in non freesat mode- as I understand it with the Humax the protection is removed then?

Funny you should say that but I was going to try that a little earlier but it was recording. I will try once it has stopped.
  • Options
    slackereconomyslackereconomy Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sacrilege in these parts i know, but i can't stand 2.35. annoying black bars are the reason i abandoned 4:3 in the first place. give me films in 16:9 any day :)
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that but I was going to try that a little earlier but it was recording. I will try once it has stopped.

I'm away from home at the moment so can't confirm it but if my memory serves me well,I am sure I tried recording in non Freesat mode in the past and it worked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sacrilege in these parts i know, but i can't stand 2.35. annoying black bars are the reason i abandoned 4:3 in the first place. give me films in 16:9 any day :)

Well, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'd rather see what the director intended. Mouseover toggles between the two images:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5159779/two_shot.htm

And the bottom line on this issue for me is that if you don't like the black bars, the vast majority of TVs these days have a zoom function which allows you to get rid of them (obviously at the cost of losing picture information). So, showing 2.35 films at OAR allows everyone to see them as they want, but 16:9 cutouts don't. Therefore OAR is the best solution IMO.

But as I say, I don't want to hijack the thread, so there are probably better places to continue this if anyone wants to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome to the future. No wonder that when the BBC was explaining the 'advantages' of putting DRM on the EPG and all that it would thus 'allow', the first thing they usually said was that it only applied to HD--as if that won't be a major reception method as time goes by.

ITV don't *have* to do this. It's in the spec to allow blu ray recordings, but they obviously have decided to lock them out. The viewer has no recourse.

I can understand why the BBC were a bit twitchy about justifying DRM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrykl wrote: »
    I'm away from home at the moment so can't confirm it but if my memory serves me well,I am sure I tried recording in non Freesat mode in the past and it worked.
    Welcome to the future. No wonder that when the BBC was explaining the 'advantages' of putting DRM on the EPG and all that it would thus 'allow', the first thing they usually said was that it only applied to HD--as if that won't be a major reception method as time goes by.

ITV don't *have* to do this. It's in the spec to allow blu ray recordings, but they obviously have decided to lock them out. The viewer has no recourse.

I can understand why the BBC were a bit twitchy about justifying DRM.

I have set it up to record the film 'The Cowboy Way' this morning. The problem is if it gives the flag 'once only' I won't really won't know untill I have made a few recordings of films & they also have a once only flag. Having said that if I were to record say 4 hours of ITV HD with an hour or so before & after it would probably not know I was recording the film & of course I would just edit out everything apart from the film.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have set it up to record the film 'The Cowboy Way' this morning. The problem is if it gives the flag 'once only' I won't really won't know untill I have made a few recordings of films & they also have a once only flag. Having said that if I were to record say 4 hours of ITV HD with an hour or so before & after it would probably not know I was recording the film & of course I would just edit out everything apart from the film.:D
    Well, glad this thread is useful for someone:D, I didn't realise they could flag programmes individually, thought it was just ITV1 HD as a whole. If you can get round it by padding on the beginning/end makes you wonder why they bother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Well, glad this thread is useful for someone:D, I didn't realise they could flag programmes individually, thought it was just ITV1 HD as a whole. If you can get round it by padding on the beginning/end makes you wonder why they bother.

As it was the first time I tried the 'other channels' to record I gave a 10 minute before & after & named the programme. But it was flagged, so I can't take even one copy of a DOG filled, advert filled & probably cut to pieces OLD film. this really is silly. I will try a couple of hours ether side next time.& NOT name the programme.

Back on to the thread. I think it is a really good idea & as more people take up PVRs & the thingy :rolleyes: I have, it should gain more interest. You could also put BBC films that are later in the evening as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it was the first time I tried the 'other channels' to record I gave a 10 minute before & after & named the programme. But it was flagged, so I can't take even one copy of a DOG filled, advert filled & probably cut to pieces OLD film. this really is silly. I will try a couple of hours ether side next time.& NOT name the programme.
    How annoying, let us know if anything works to get round it:(, as a last resort if you have a PC you could get a satellite USB box (£40-£70) and it will record without restrictions.
    Back on to the thread. I think it is a really good idea & as more people take up PVRs & the thingy :rolleyes: I have, it should gain more interest. You could also put BBC films that are later in the evening as well.
    Thanks for the encouragement:), re: BBC unfortunately none of the BBC One films have been in HD yet, I did notice yesterday BBC HD simulcasted a BBC THREE film, which I think they do about once a week now so I will mention these when they come up EDIT: starting now:D (also looks like more than one a week now:o):

Bruce Almighty (2003) starring Jim Carrey & Jennifer Aniston is on BBC HD, Saturday 19:25 - 21:00 (BBC THREE simulcast)

premiere of Macbeth (2010) starring Patrick Stewart & Kate Fleetwood is on BBC HD Sunday 19:30 - 22:00 (BBC FOUR simulcast) (Patrick was on Midweek on R4 yesterday discussing this, listen here).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick update, the repeat showing of Be Cool on STV HD is no longer scheduled for tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't quite fulfill my original criteria of a post midnight start, but ITV1 HD does have a film starting later than usual tonight Taking Lives (2004) starring Angelina Jolie & Ethan Hawke 23:05 - 01:00, followed by Species:The Awakening (2007) starring Ben Cross & Helena Mattson at 03:00 - 04:40.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly changing the purpose of the thread, but seeing as most users won't know about it, STV HD are showing Octopussy (1983) in HD starring Roger Moore and Maud Adams, 13:05 - 15:30.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight ITV1 HD has two HD films Falling Down(1993) starring Michael Douglas and Robert Duval from 22:35 - 00:40 and End of Days (1999) starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Gabriel Byrne from 02:40 - 04:40.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 HD showing 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) tonight starring Paul Walker & Tyrese Gibson 22:35 - 00:30, STV HD is showing End of Days (1999) starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Gabriel Byrne from 02:40 - 04:40, according to DVDFever this was in 2.35:1 on ITV1 HD last night so show be on STV HD also.

Picture was pretty good on Falling Down last night although not OAR:

Robert Duvall one, two, three

Michael Douglas one, two, three, four

Street scene one, two, exhaust, police motorcyclist
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, bit of a boob, End of Days was indeed signed last night, so sorry if anyone recorded it unnecessarily. It seems ITV/STV may not mark programmes as upscaled when the SD version is signed, but I now think the absence of HD means upscaled so I'll follow that plan from now on:D.

BBC One HD is showing Severance (2006) starring Toby Stephens & Danny Dyer tonight from 23:30 - 01:00.

ITV1 HD is showing Mad Max Beyond: Thunderdome (1985) starring Mel Gibson and Tina Turner tonight from 23:05 - 01:00 and On Deadly Ground (1994) starring Steven Seagal and Michael Caine 03:05 - 04:45.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member

I have a Panasonic Freeview BD recorder, I recorded Briget Jones and Species The Awakening last weekend and successfully transferred them (high speed) to BD disc in HD mode after converting from DR to HG. They both had (as all ITV/C4 programmes do) the copy once flag on them. Maybe it allowed me to do it because it's freeview??

When you convert a programme to HG mode what size is it?

BBC HD programmes are about 5600MB for a 58/59 minute show on Freeview. This allows me to get 4 hours on a 25GB BD disc, if the Freesat version is higher quality (bigger size) that might be the reason why you can't copy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD wrote: »
    I have a Panasonic Freeview BD recorder, I recorded Briget Jones and Species The Awakening last weekend and successfully transferred them (high speed) to BD disc in HD mode after converting from DR to HG. They both had (as all ITV/C4 programmes do) the copy once flag on them. Maybe it allowed me to do it because it's freeview??

When you convert a programme to HG mode what size is it?

BBC HD programmes are about 5600MB for a 58/59 minute show on Freeview. This allows me to get 4 hours on a 25GB BD disc, if the Freesat version is higher quality (bigger size) that might be the reason why you can't copy?

Good films but I already have them so did'nt record them. All bar one film I have tried on ITV had a 'No Copy' flag. In other words they could only be copied in SD. Even a John Candy film could not be coppied in HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 HD is showing Intolerable Cruelty (2002) starring George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones tonight at 23:05-00:55

STV HD is showing Species: The Awakening (2007) starring Helena Mattsson and Ben Cross (shown on ITV1 HD last week) from 00:10 - 02:00

BBC HD is showing Sylvia (2003) starring Gwyneth Paltrow as the American poet Sylvia Plath with Daniel Craig as her husband & fellow poet Ted Hughes from 23:30 - 01:15
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC HD is showing Billy Elliot (2000) starring Jamie Bell & Julie Walters from 21:15 - 23:00.

ITV1 HD is showing The Dukes of Hazzard (2005) starring Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott from 22:35 - 00:35.

STV HD is showing Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (2005) from 22:35 - 00:05.