The Tennis Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abby103 wrote: »
    Nadal is back tomorrow!!! :D

He is playing a doubles match with Monaco, and then on Wednesday he will play his first singles match since the epic at Wimbledon. Trying not to have too high expectations but really want to see him do well! Mostly I'm just glad we'll know a lot more about how the knee is doing!

Gosh that Rosol match feels like such a long time ago, I can't believe he's been out 7/8 months. Let's hope he can make a good injury and trouble free comeback.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is playing a doubles match with Monaco, and then on Wednesday he will play his first singles match since the epic at Wimbledon. Trying not to have too high expectations but really want to see him do well! Mostly I'm just glad we'll know a lot more about how the knee is doing!

Surprised to see him playing doubles, but I guess he is after any match play he can get at the minute.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I won't get excited about it until I actually see him on a tennis court... but yay! :) Now what's the betting that he'll actually win the event?!
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be more surprised to see him lose early than I would be to see him win the title.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen Andy's latest interview on the news about greater blood testing in the sport. I was kind of distracted as he is looking good! The shorter hair suits him far better than the mop! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen Andy's latest interview on the news about greater blood testing in the sport. I was kind of distracted as he is looking good! The shorter hair suits him far better than the mop! ;)

I agreed with what he said as well, what's the point of the "this is where I am for 1 hour of the day" system thingy if they aren't actually using it to do blood tests. The ABP seems a good idea in all sports, but then you've actually got to take someone's blood to get that up and running.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vicky2424 wrote: »
    I agreed with what he said as well, what's the point of the "this is where I am for 1 hour of the day" system thingy if they aren't actually using it to do blood tests. The ABP seems a good idea in all sports, but then you've actually got to take someone's blood to get that up and running.
    Agreed. That's just causing inconvenience to players, and generally making a lot of fuss, so creates the illusion of doing something, but isn't particularly effective.

I'm not surprised players get fed-up, and might be wary of additional testing, but I think if they realise that blood testing will be more effective, and that the sport actually needs to do something, they'll be more willing.

I'm not sure of the science behind it, but I wonder if leaning towards more blood tests and the biological passports will reduce the need for the crack of dawn urine tests.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My mother keeps getting Andy mixed up with Djokovic. She thinks they look soo similar - but can't see it myself. Andy's looks have improved but think Novak is abit better looking.

On the subject of Nadal, I'm in too minds about his return. It's great to see him when he plays well - but I suffer from a crippling medical condition myself - and can't believe its worth the injury he is doing to his long term health. He already has 11 slams - isn't that about fourth or so on the all time list? He has won the Grand Slam. I think he won Olympic Gold. There isn't much more for him to achieve. All former tennis players talk of the injuries they suffer long into retirement. I just have a feeling that his will be even worse.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    My mother keeps getting Andy mixed up with Djokovic. She thinks they look soo similar - but can't see it myself. Andy's looks have improved but think Novak is abit better looking.

On the subject of Nadal, I'm in too minds about his return. It's great to see him when he plays well - but I suffer from a crippling medical condition myself - and can't believe its worth the injury he is doing to his long term health. He already has 11 slams - isn't that about fourth or so on the all time list? He has won the Grand Slam. I think he won Olympic Gold. There isn't much more for him to achieve. All former tennis players talk of the injuries they suffer long into retirement. I just have a feeling that his will be even worse.

I agree wiht you. Novak is far better looking if you ask me.

On Nadal. Im delighted he's back, being my fave player but im lowering my initial expectations. I think his love for the game is whats brought him back. I know the situation with Rafa is similar to Aggasi's in the way he has been programmed by people around him. But the difference i feel is Andre hated tennis in the latter stages of his career but Rafa really enjoys it and plays it more for the love than the money. I hope he takes things slowly and eventually he can regain his brilliance as when he's at the top of his game he is imo numero uno or numero deux behind Novak. His uncle Toni has said he'll play with pain until the end of the month as he has to build up muscle strength in his knee but he wouldnt play if the doctors hadnt given the all clear to play. I think if he has a reaccurance in 18 months or 2 years time then he would call it a day. He will have won it all but at the age of 26 he feels like he has more to give, with more slams to come i hope.

But its just great to have the guy back and hopefully he can get back in the top 4 as they are stonger with him than without him. Ferrer isnt a strong number 4. Im looking forward to his comeback and hope all goes well.

Best of luck Rafa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Djokovic has action - man hair :D

ERRANI 2013
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    He's BAAAAAAACK!!!

http://lsh.streamhunter.eu/static/popups/133456951330850.html

and so am I.

Byeeee Revenga :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »
    He's BAAAAAAACK!!!

http://lsh.streamhunter.eu/static/popups/133456951330850.html

and so am I.

Byeeee Revenga :D:D

:D:D:D

Play nicely. After all Rafa is a polite, kind man. :p Just like you're a polite, kind gal.

Now and then. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Play nicely. After all Rafa is a polite, kind man. :p Just like you're a polite, kind gal.

Now and then. ;)

LOL!!!

Hi Tally, hope you are feeling well? :)

Did you watch the doubles match I linked? He looks bloody gorgeous - he also looks very, very fit and bigger than before :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Rafa played alright; obviously he didn't slide much and run down every ball like he use to, but he didn't really have to in this match. He didn't look injured, more 'rusty'. Some of his volleys were crackers though, and his reactions have not suffered at all! I think doubles will be good to get his confidence back, especially playing with Monaco.

Overall, solid performance, and it was just nice to have him back! Looking forward to singles tomorrow and hope he can carry on like this for the rest of the tournament! Bring on the FO :D
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good idea to start off with a doubles match. Far less pressure, and a good opportunity to get used to that tournament vibe, let people take their photos and scrutinize his performance, and play some proper points, but without revealing his whole game.
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just so pleased he's back. I will settle for a couple of matches, and no more Knee problems. Small steps Raffa, small steps!
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    britain's fed cup tie was against bosnia Hercegovina was delayed today because of rain, rather annoying.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    britain's fed cup tie was against bosnia Hercegovina was delayed today because of rain, rather annoying.

Suprised that Anne K is playing singles and not Laura. Maybe her shoulder isn't right yet.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got Wimbledon tickets.

Monday 24th June.

Court 3.

So that will work out at £17 extra (over ground admission) per ticket to avoid having to queue!

Anyone else successful in the ballot yet?
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, haven't heard anything! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jerzy Janowicz: ´Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer? The first one false, the other is full of his self´

I love this guy ... speaks the truth :D:cool:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Jerzy-Janowicz-Novak-Djokovic-and-Roger-Federer-The-first-one-false-the-other-is-full-of-his-self-articolo8330.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I got Wimbledon tickets.

Monday 24th June.

Court 3.

So that will work out at £17 extra (over ground admission) per ticket to avoid having to queue!

Anyone else successful in the ballot yet?

I haven't heard anything.

Anybody know where I can watch Fed Cup?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything.

Anybody know where I can watch Fed Cup?

http://www.streamhunter.eu/tennis-live-streaming-video.html :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarn wrote: »

Thanks I will try that.
    Suprised that no channels are showing it.
This discussion has been closed.