Bill Roache: Sex abuse is payback

12346»

Comments

• grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    No, I don't think it's being closed minded. I always respect the opinions of people who have thought things through, whichever conclusion they have come to. :)

I think you can change your mind throughout life. I've never been an atheist - at best an agnostic tending towards belief (or as you would put it being swayed by wanting to believe!)

Well, we all have our preconceptions, regardless of our point of view - it's part of the human condition. As long as we try to be open and honest with ourselves as well as with others, I think we're moving in the right direction. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Bill is talking twaddle and must be an age issue, nobody in there right mind would think that logic he spouts is credible.

Bet Kevin Webster actor will be using ken now for an character witness for his trial :p
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief, I've never read such hysteria over some (largely misquoted) statements.

William Roache is not excusing paedophiles, he is saying that the abuse of children is not the same as celebs having sex with underage, sexually precocious teenagers. If all the pop stars who had had sex with a star struck 15-year-old were prosecuted, the jails would be full of aging rockers! He is also not saying that it is right for celebs to have sex with underage groupies, he's just saying it's a different scenario.

His beliefs are not because he has lost his wife or has turned 80 (how patronising!). He believes in reincarnation and karma and millions of people share those beliefs.

I've quoted the above because, Black Velvet, you are reading a thread dominated by a group of militant atheists. They always turn up in these discussions. I'm not saying they are wrong - what I am saying is, that like the rest of us, they don't know for certain what happens before or after we die.

I've read widely on reincarnation and it makes a lot of sense and, no, I haven't lost my marbles any more than Bill Roache has. I just like to keep an open mind on these things.

However, he should be more careful what he says in public. It will only get misquoted, then jumped on by people who just take what he has said at face value and then jump all over him.

It's all very well to say all that, but if you say that child abuse is punishment for sins committed in a previous life (and that is very clearly what Bill said; there was no room for doubt), then you are telling child abuse victims that it's their own fault - something many, if not most, are already prone to irrationally feel. Regardless of any arguments about reincarnation, I stand by what I've said; I find that loathesome.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all very well to say all that, but if you say that child abuse is punishment for sins committed in a previous life (and that is very clearly what Bill said; there was no room for doubt), then you are telling child abuse victims that it's their own fault - something many, if not most, are already prone to irrationally feel. Regardless of any arguments about reincarnation, I stand by what I've said; I find that loathesome.

He seemed reluctant to say it and I guess that's because it's an extremely complicated topic (karma) and just cannot be summed up in a sentence. So therefore I agree that what he said was very ill advised.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is he on the front page of The Star today? The headline makes out like he has said something wrong again but from the article online I couldn't see anything new.

PJ
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Why is he on the front page of The Star today? The headline makes out like he has said something wrong again but from the article online I couldn't see anything new.

PJ

GIYF.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/306743/KEN-IN-NEW-RAPE-STORM/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although Ken Barlow is a legend of Corrie, I think it's time Bill was encouraged to retire with a big exit storyline. Possibly involving karma.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seemed reluctant to say it and I guess that's because it's an extremely complicated topic (karma) and just cannot be summed up in a sentence. So therefore I agree that what he said was very ill advised.
    Extremely complicated? The fact that there's no credible scientific evidence whatsoever for karma is perfectly simple.

Calculating the number of leprechauns a unicorn could eat is equally tricky and equally futile. We live in an amazing world, so why waste your time on imaginary poppycock?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His Karma is to play Ken Barlow in a soap for more than 50 years.
    He must have been evil in a former life.
    (I nearly said played a boring old fart, but I don't want to be sued.)