Options

Landline broadband

EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody dispensed with their BT landline telephone and broadband in favour of mobile phones and MiFi using 4G, if so what are their experiences.

With the latest BT increases, it would seem possible to economically do away with BT completely.

Comments

• Options
    aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I got rid of my BT landline and internet nearly a year ago. My village now has wireless broadband provided from wireless masts and no phone line needed. The download speed of my internet connection with BT was 0.25 mb on a good day with no hope for many years of any improvement. Now I have download speeds averaging 10mb and upload 5mb which is fine for my usage.
    It costs a bit more than BT internet but is so worth it and I actually pay less as I don't have the land line to pay for. I have a £10 month mobile contract which gives me unlimited txts and enough minutes and don't miss BT at all!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got rid of my landline around two years ago, we got a Wireless system in the city, which give me a better quality broadband connection than what ADSL did.

Things are a bit different now that FTTC is here and I know I can get FTTC and landline for just above the price I am paying now and would get another 15Mb/s on top of the ten I got now.

But if you are going wireless then you need to look at the pros and cons, it may all seem nice and no line rental, but depending on what is available in your area wireless wise, you may be paying more for less.

But so far for the two years I have been with my provider the price have not gone up, line rental gone up a few times since then. so I will be staying put unless I got a reason to change.
  • Options
    arteseaartesea Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    4G through the standard networks is expensive and limited, however there are some city/town based providers along with some wifi ones which are becoming reasonable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So from the replies it doesn't look like anybody has dropped their landline in favour of mobile phone plus MiFi on 4G.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earake wrote: »
    So from the replies it doesn't look like anybody has dropped their landline in favour of mobile phone plus MiFi on 4G.

That would be expensive unless you only use it now and again. as artesea said there are some providers that uses the 4G network for broadband, but it depends on where you live.

I use VoIP, landline well and truly disconnected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you can get Relish then they appear to be pretty good at £20 a month (not read any recent reviews though) https://www1.relish.net/athome
    Personally I have TalkTalk Fibre (40/2) it comes in at under £30 a month and the phone is only used for inbound calls as both the wife and I have unlimited calls on our mobiles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artesea wrote: »
    If you can get Relish then they appear to be pretty good at £20 a month (not read any recent reviews though) https://www1.relish.net/athome

OK if you're in the London area !

With unlimited or near unlimited mobile packages, 4G or EE's 4G+ MiFi will soon become a viable replacement for a landline phone+broadband service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With unlimited or near unlimited mobile packages, 4G or EE's 4G+ MiFi will soon become a viable replacement for a landline phone+broadband service.
    But there aren't any near unlimited mobile 4G packages. EE currently offer a whole 3GB on their MiFi tariffs for £15 and Three stop at 15GB for £20.10.

TalkTalk offer unlimited ADSL for under £20 (assuming you never use the phone line part of the service), and for an extra £10 they throw in fibre. So as a minimum I would want 100GB with 4G speeds at for no more than £30.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member

What would worry me most about 4G is that it's inherently a shared connection. It may be very fast now with the limited take-up, but will it still be fast in 3-4 years when lots of users are trying to share the only 4G cell in your town/village at 8pm in the evening? I can see it being useful on the move, but outside of big cities I wouldn't expect it to be a good full-time domestic option unless the 4G suppliers build a lot of infrastructure. That will have an inevitable effect on the price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @artesea >>>>> sorry didn't make myself very clear there, I meant calls and texts on one contract and the MiFi on a separate one.

@SteveMcK >>>>>> "5G" will probably be here by 2020.
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not yet, but a few years back, in a different property, I had 3G only for about a year.

I used a 3G dongle on the end of a USB cable, connected to a laptop with ICS turned on, connected to a router in bridge mode to share the 3G over wifi.

So much easier now, with MiFIs!

I took out a fixed broadband connection later on as I needed a higher limit and more permanent connection for work.
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    What would worry me most about 4G is that it's inherently a shared connection. It may be very fast now with the limited take-up, but will it still be fast in 3-4 years when lots of users are trying to share the only 4G cell in your town/village at 8pm in the evening? I can see it being useful on the move, but outside of big cities I wouldn't expect it to be a good full-time domestic option unless the 4G suppliers build a lot of infrastructure. That will have an inevitable effect on the price.

I can get just under 30 Mbps down on EE in the day, three out of five bars - but it can go down to 3 Mbps in the evening. Still better than my BT line!