Options

50 Mhz or 60 Mhz

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've played quite a few games now that ask what setting you want for your TV. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 50 Mhz and 60 Mhz??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I've played quite a few games now that ask what setting you want for your TV. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 50 Mhz and 60 Mhz??

Basically, 60Mhz allows you to play games in full screen without the black bars associated with 50Mhz. 60Mhz provides a faster frame rate and overall, a more enjoyable playing experience. Your TV has to be 60Mhz compatible though. Most games have a test option so you'll know if you have compatible equipment.
  • Options
    Clacton CrewClacton Crew Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most of the games i have dont do a 60hz option but it does work on my tv. i think more games should have this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm a fan of PAL60 mode - the only game I have that seems to support it is FIFA 2004 on XBOX and the picture kinda seemed 'glarish'... Also the issue about the boarders is not relevent with the XBOX - it fills the 720x576 resolution of PAL TV pictures pretty much to the edges, just like a DVD for example.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Can't say I'm a fan of PAL60 mode - the only game I have that seems to support it is FIFA 2004 on XBOX and the picture kinda seemed 'glarish'... Also the issue about the boarders is not relevent with the XBOX - it fills the 720x576 resolution of PAL TV pictures pretty much to the edges, just like a DVD for example.

I agree that it isn't particularly relevant to XBox. 60Mhz used to be great for Dreamcast games though. There was noticable difference between, for example, Crazy Taxi in 50 and in 60. When given the option I always opt for 60Mhz but it's personal preference I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    It's not 50mhz or 60mhz, it's 50hz or 60hz..

Dunedin
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    i always use 60hz option, cause on the tv i use, it really does make the games look smoother, especially on games like Tekken 4, Jak and Daxter (and Jak II) and Burnout 2 !