Options

All That Glitters - new Grace Dent column

Bella TrixBella Trix Posts: 7,278
Forum Member
Enjoy!

:D
Jayne proceeds to describe herself: "I'm fun-loving, energetic, bubbly, outgoing, scary, sexy…I give a good argument!" This is a great example of how scouring the lonely hearts ads can go very awry; if you read Jayne's account of herself, you wouldn't expect to turn up outside the cinema, clutching a rose, to find an eerie hybrid of Lizzie Bardsley, Waynetta Slob and Attila the Hun.

PMSL :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh, she needs to change that picture - she's mardy looking.

It's funny how she thinks Jayne has an ego though. Maybe it's because I see Jayne as the female David Brent that i don't view her delusional idea of herself as this hilarious entertainer as being about 'ego' at all. I just think 'good on her'. I dont really understand the mind of someone who wants to see people like her/Brent get their ego thwarted. Dont they realise why they're like that in the first place? Cant condone bullying, sorry. That would tear her to pieces. She's funny. She has to stay because that double act line was class. I love when people second-guess how the BB audience perceives them...and get it wrong.

Having said that - is she really delusional? She gets alot of sex in Slough right and i imagine she has a lot of friends? So why should she think of herself as being anything less than she does? Of course if she pulls she'll think she's attractive. Again, good on her.
    you can't simply mix and match bits of kabbalah, Buddhism, Judaism and bits of the Tufty Club Handbook to make your own Church of Michael

er...yes you can.
    Michael wasn't gay, I'd find a lot of his rantings homophobic.
    I like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the revulsion directed towards Jayne :D

She's spot on about Richard too, I admit I'm feeling a bit ambivalent toward him following last night's show, but he is genuinely funny (unlike Jayne).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Scratching Her Camels Toe! Hahahaaaaa Larf!
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me laugh when stupid people inform me they hate Richard as "he's the biggest game player in there". Because Big Brother is a game. Like there's any other reason to be cooped up in a glasshouse with a bunch of simpletons in 36-degree heat with no food, no hot water, no newspapers, no music and the daily toil of chatting to Mikey.

In a nutshell. Can this woman read an autocue? She should be presenting BBLB.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And this bit:

makes me laugh when stupid people inform me they hate Richard as "he's the biggest game player in there". Because Big Brother is a game. Like there's any other reason to be cooped up in a glasshouse with a bunch of simpletons in 36-degree heat with no food, no hot water, no newspapers, no music and the daily toil of chatting to Mikey.

:D:D:D

Edit: Oops beaten to it by the lovely Clover. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayemee wrote:
    I love the revulsion directed towards Jayne :D

She's spot on about Richard too, I admit I'm feeling a bit ambivalent toward him following last night's show, but he is genuinely funny (unlike Jayne).

Last night's show was designed to make you feel that way! Blatant editing.
    And Russell begging us to keep Jayne in too! I was shocked at the skinny fella.

Dent is spot on. Richard is awful and slimy in many ways, but he adds a touch of humour and kindness to the house.
  • Options
    sleeptalkersleeptalker Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant, as usual. :)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Enjoy!

:D

PMSL :D

Everyone should read this; this is exactly why I am a Richard fan.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see how he'd fare if anyone had the gumption to inform him that you can't simply mix and match bits of kabbalah, Buddhism, Judaism and bits of the Tufty Club Handbook to make your own Church of Michael, then bash everyone about the head with your scriptures in a bid to win £100,000. That's not very spiritual.

Genius, and spot on :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clover wrote:
    In a nutshell. Can this woman read an autocue? She should be presenting BBLB.
    Beat me to the quote as well! I think a lot of people need to be reminded they're all in it to win it. ;)
  • Options
    fruitbatfruitbat Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff, thanks OP.

FB
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's a shame if I do go," sweats Jayne in the diary room in her damp leggings, "

LMAO :D *shudder*
  • Options
    LegbaLegba Posts: 2,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved her comments about Jayne. :D

Thanks, miss granger.

:)
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Fantastic piece!
  • Options
    mrhahawiffymrhahawiffy Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me LOL every day and today was no exception! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her column is so refreshing and she makes a lot of points that I wouldnt dare to say in fear of getting my head bitten off. Particularly about the fact that people are in it to win and it is a gameshow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I mention I lurvee Grace Dent?!

I'll be sad if Richard leaves tonight. He's an annoying git at times; smug, repetitive, loves to press people's buttons and watch them explode, but one of the only housemates with a modicum of intellect and spark.

I like the way he's kept his eye on the prize, kept his marbles (mostly) and been able to eloquently nail how he feels about people in the diary room. "I'd like to check behind Imogen's ears to find the drill holes," said Richard once, "to see where they performed the lobotomy." This week Imogen wandered from the bathroom moaning: "I've 'ad to 'ave a cold shower. It's freezing." "Oh, don't worry, they're good for you," said Richard, deadpan, "Good for cellulite."

It makes me laugh when stupid people inform me they hate Richard as "he's the biggest game player in there". Because Big Brother is a game. Like there's any other reason to be cooped up in a glasshouse with a bunch of simpletons in 36-degree heat with no food, no hot water, no newspapers, no music and the daily toil of chatting to Mikey.

I'd like to see the back of Jayne as she makes me despair about the state of Britain. Jayne's loud, assertive and belligerent, trampling over everyone in her path. You can't fully knock her down; but I like seeing egos like Jayne's temporarily knocked down, even though it's just for five seconds until she pops back up like an evil Weeble.

Lol :D

So farewell, Rich, if you've signed your own death warrant by displeasing Michael. Remember: he is love, love is God; ergo, Michael is God. Good luck, Dickie, you've made me smirk a lot over the last 60,000 words. And if I see you on Old Compton Street, unlike Michael, I won't just walk on by.

Nooo! Richard hasn't gone yet! Don't say that! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is briiliant, so truthful and well written
    I too aren't a Richard fan but find him very funny and find Michael a complete weirdo. He should definatley be running a cult church, it would suit him
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love her columns, she's always spot-on with her views of the housemates.
  • Options
    ludovicaludovica Posts: 25,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "You can't fully knock her down; but I like seeing egos like Jayne's temporarily knocked down, even though it's just for five seconds until she pops back up like an evil Weeble."
    <choking on me baguette!!:D:D>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,770
    Forum Member
    I love her column. "Who is she?" Where has she been hiding all my life. What a brilliant column. I only discovered her by going to the link from here a few weeks ago. All the quotes above I love. :D:):D

One thing I disagree about is Michael not being homophobic because he's gay! I think he does hate gays ergo he hates himself! :(

Hopefully Richard is not going anywhere he is staying to annoy Mikey, Imogen & Michael and to get ready for Ash to come and say how she really is pleased he didn't go! He can watch Glyn turn his evil eye further on to Mikey. Spirol will Spiral out of control and Jennie will decide Richard is a father figure and fight his corner. :D:D

Next week I think they will all be up. :eek: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ludovica wrote:
    "You can't fully knock her down; but I like seeing egos like Jayne's temporarily knocked down, even though it's just for five seconds until she pops back up like an evil Weeble."
    <choking on me baguette!!:D:D>

I know, loved that!

The quote not you choking! :D
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent column, as usual, and spot on about Richard.
  • Options
    MorticiaMorticia Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    fab column, good read. It made me smile.