Anyone familiar with ADVENT Monza laptops?

user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and this one from PC World looks pretty good.

However I'm not familiar with the brand. It is reliable or are their any bugs in it? It's really cheap for what it offers but is that a good or bad thing?

All feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: Kill it with fire!!

Seriously.. keep away from PC World and advent laptops, cheap and nasty things!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't know about bugs but if I found any in any computer I bought I would call the pest control in :p I've never bought an Advent computer but I've played around with them and I know a few people who have them and I don't think they're all that great. They just ooze el cheapo. That's just my personal opinion though, but check it out before buying. Aren't Advent PC World's own brand or something? :eek:
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mpmc17 wrote: »

Thanks. I thought there must be something wrong with it for it to be so cheap.

Any suggestions on reliable brands?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about bugs but if I found any in any computer I bought I would call the pest control in :p I've never bought an Advent computer but I've played around with them and I know a few people who have them and I don't think they're all that great. They just ooze el cheapo. That's just my personal opinion though, but check it out before buying. Aren't Advent PC World's own brand or something? :eek:
    Lmao :D
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I thought there must be something wrong with it for it to be so cheap.

Any suggestions on reliable brands?

Acer and Samsung are pretty reliable brands and from what I've seen their laptops are quite good. My dad has an Acer laptop and he has no problems with it. Not too sure about HP although some of their machines look ok to me. I probably would have got either a Samsung or HP if I hadn't bought a Mac.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Acer and Samsung are pretty reliable brands and from what I've seen their laptops are quite good. My dad has an Acer laptop and he has no problems with it. Not too sure about HP although some of their machines look ok to me. I probably would have got either a Samsung or HP if I hadn't bought a Mac.
    Thanks. I currently have a Compaq but wouldn't get another.
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I currently have a Compaq but wouldn't get another.

Are they really bad these days? I remember in the late 90s Compaq used to be a good brand. Shame they're not any more :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    mpmc17 wrote: »

Three years I have had an Advent, paid £220.00 for it and have NEVER had one problem, I edit video`s, use Broadcast software to edit video, it has good hardware inside ie; DVD/CD writer, Dual Core 2mhz, if I ever buy another laptop it will be an ADVENT. So I will ignore the poster who I quoted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they really bad these days? I remember in the late 90s Compaq used to be a good brand. Shame they're not any more :(
    Mine hasn't been great. There were problems with the screen and a friend had to take it apart to fix some lose wires. The battery stopped working pretty quickly. It also crashes a lot. Like if I watch something on full screen for about an hour it starts to over heat and I have to switch it off. It also crashes if I try to use facebook chat :rolleyes:

It's fine for basic stuff such as googling, posting on DS, looking at Youtube etc but I need something reliable so that I can run AutoCAD, Adobe and other programs without having to limit my time to about an hour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heikoworld wrote: »
    Three years I have had an Advent, paid £220.00 for it and have NEVER had one problem, I edit video`s, use Broadcast software to edit video, it has good hardware inside ie; DVD/CD writer, Dual Core 2mhz, if I ever buy another laptop it will be an ADVENT. So I will ignore the poster who I quoted.
    Sorry, didn't see your post there. Now I'm torn. The price is fabulous but I can't help thinking that because it's cheap, there must be something wrong with it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heikoworld wrote: »

I've had to deal with quite a few advent laptops, yes the hardware is okay inside (on some models) but the chassis isn't that great.

I'm glad you've never had an issue with your machine, think yourself lucky you've never had to deal with PC world 'technical support'.

I find it rather strange that the above poster has chose to ignore me due to a difference of opinion (Yes I may have been a bit narky).

I'm sure many forum members will agree with me that PC World (Or any DSG group store) isn't exactly a great place to purchase any PC equipment from.

But and I will say this, You take a chance no matter where you purchase.
    Sorry, didn't see your post there. Now I'm torn. The price is fabulous but I can't help thinking that because it's cheap, there must be something wrong with it!

Cheap doesn't always mean bad, but you know the old saying 'You get what you pay for'.

Don't be one sided and base your choice on just a few peoples opinions (including mine), Check out reviews online not only about the laptop you want to buy but also after sales support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found some reviews for the advent here, seem mixed but okay.

Damn edit limit!
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    For the price it should be fine - if it's got the specs you are looking for then I don't think you would have a problem with it as long as you are not the sort to throw your laptop about! LOL
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have kids or are a bit clumsy, don't buy a cheap notebook. It will break in no time.

On the same basis, avoid really cheap HP/Compaq and Dell. A mid range Toshiba, Acer or Dell is a good bet.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advent are PC World's own brand. They aren't the best laptops in terms of quality, but there will be some models that don't have problems. I think that most Advents are other laptops in their own chassis. For example my girl friend's Advent netbook is basically a MSI Wind U140.

Acer, Samsung, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Fujitsu and Sony are good brands.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on the whole avoid advents. tend to skimp on physical construction. hence fall to bits during normal use. literally.

some models might be ok. eg a few netbooks in currys were rebadged msi wind.
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Acer, Samsung, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Fujitsu and Sony are good brands.

I agree with some of these, but I had a Fujitsu laptop before and the screen went on it. I personally reckon Sony laptops are overpriced for what they are.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASUS are the 2nd most reliable (after Apple).
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, Advent is PC World's own brand.

Over the years I have had two of them, and they were both absolutely fine.

Remember, at PC World it is always worth humming and ha-ing and asking for a freebie with the PC - they have a little freedom to chuck in some software to clinch it. Don't buy any extra insurance, it is not worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the input guys :)
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    ASUS are the 2nd most reliable (after Apple).

So Apple are the most reliable? That's good to know :D I'll remember that next time I'm trying to get someone to switch.