Options

Jamies dad speaks out

Comments

• Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get that the 20-year anniversary is coming up, but why is everyone suddenly being interviewed left and right? What is the news angle?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    julie88 wrote: »
    I get that the 20-year anniversary is coming up, but why is everyone suddenly being interviewed left and right? What is the news angle?

The angle is that they're going to milk it for paper sales. There is no reason to revisit this. There is no missing person, or perp on the run. No new offense (recently anyway). The sentence has been carried out, it's over. Whatever justice is to be had has been had. It's just a morbid endless goingover of the same facts, and the same laments over and over and over again.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    _drak wrote: »
    The angle is that they're going to milk it for paper sales. There is no reason to revisit this. There is no missing person, or perp on the run. No new offense (recently anyway). The sentence has been carried out, it's over. Whatever justice is to be had has been had. It's just a morbid endless goingover of the same facts, and the same laments over and over and over again.

Yeah, remembering a two-year-old murder victim and his family who never had any kind of justice; what a waste of time. :rolleyes:

It just so happens that James' mum wants her son to be remembered.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I notice that theres another interview with Ralph on the DM website. Usual idiots are out in force in the comments. One even blames David Cameron for the fact they did not get enough support counciling, whilst the latter fact is probably true. Cameron was not even an MP 20 years ago.

and one calling Thompson and Venables Peadophiles, again that's not true, they were many things but not that when aged 10.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I notice that theres another interview with Ralph on the DM website. Usual idiots are out in force in the comments. One even blames David Cameron for the fact they did not get enough support counciling, whilst the latter fact is probably true. Cameron was not even an MP 20 years ago.

and one calling Thompson and Venables Peadophiles, again that's not true, they were many things but not that when aged 10.

But thats the in word at the moment, whether its wrong doesn't matter as long as some idiot can use it they will.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    julie88 wrote: »
    Presumably because Ralph Bulger has co-written a book, My James, out this Thursday. It was mentioned at the bottom of the page in the OP's link. Makes sense to release it around the anniversary.
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    They were two 10 year old boys from rubbish families with no hope of a decent childhood. What they did was awful but come on people it was 20 years ago, is it not time to let this drop. One is back inside and the other from what we are led to to believe is actually on the right track and behaving himself and proof that rehabilitation can work.

And before anyone says "what if it was your child". Well firstly my child wouldn't have left my side they wouldn't have had the chance that is what reins/child harnesses are for. But that is neither here nor there People can change. All this talk of handing out the death penalty to two 10 year old boys or letting them live in basic conditions is disgusting we don't live in a society like that thankfully. Luckily in this country we believe in rehabilitation.

I remember this well and all the hysteria surrounding the trial was shocking, baying mobs of adults shouting abuse, banging on the side of the prison vans, throwing stones. These were grown ups maybe they should have a long hard look at themselves and their own behaviour.

I am in no way defending Thompson and Venables but people really need to get a grip and move on. Other child murders have happened and those that committed them get far less abuse thrown at them, Denise Fergus always comes out on TV every time something happens you can guarantee it and to be honest the hatred and bitterness that she understandably has can't be doing her or her family any good.

This, basically.

I'm sick of hearing about it too, along with all the shrieking idiots yelling 'STRING EM UP'.

I wouldn't judge the child's mother. I certainly understand why she'd feel vengeful. Everyone else needs to get a grip though, and the notion that 10-year-olds can fully understand the implications of their actions is ridiculous. I often cringe when I look back at some of the things I did and said when I was 10, (or older) that I'd never do now. We need to raise the criminal age of responsibility to 12, or even 14, like in many continental countries.

Someone else mentioned that in many countries on the continent they wouldn't have even been charged with a crime. That's certainly an eye-opener, along with the response in Norway when a pair of 6-year-olds committed murder. I think the Vikings are just a more civilised people than we are however.

There's probably a surprising number of people out there who think just like you and I and a few others on this thread think on the matter, the problem is whenever it comes up, it's always the 'HANG THE FOOKERS' idiots who screech the loudest and monopolise the 'debate.' I'd certainly think twice before saying this in person when out and about in Liverpool.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Yeah, remembering a two-year-old murder victim and his family who never had any kind of justice; what a waste of time. :rolleyes:

Any kind of justice? You mean they released the two boys without so much as a trial... blimey,

Jamie Bulger RIP.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Any kind of justice? You mean they released the two boys without so much as a trial... blimey,

Jamie Bulger RIP.

They didn't spend a single day in prison. You think that is justice for torturing and murdering a two-year-old toddler?

Despite the bullshit people are attributing to James' mum, she is actually quite reasonable. She didn't expect a whole life sentence, the death penalty or anything of the sort. She wanted a lengthy sentence that reflected the seriousness of the crime.

The Home Secretary increased their sentence to 15 years, which seems entirely reasonable given what they did. Had they served that sentence they would still only have been 25 when released. This was something most people were quite happy with, but the good old European court let them go free after just 8 years - none of them spent in prison.

While everyone else fancies themselves as some kind of amateur psychologist, too preoccupied with the killers to give any thought to the victims of this sickening crime, my thoughts and compassion are firmly with James' family.

His name is James by the way. He was never known as Jamie.
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Howard acted illegally when he increased the tariff. The law he broke was not some namby pamby European law but British Law (the 1933 children's and young people's act).

And Denise Fergus's original aim WAS life in prison. That was the petition she handed to Howard and before the tariff was reduced, she always said she was going to make sure they were never released.

And Drunken Scouser - I think you'd be surprised to find out how many people in Liverpool think like you. The people who shout the loudest are not always the majority - I know a good many people in Liverpool who were utterly disgusted at the scenes outside Sefton Magistrates Court twenty years ago.
  • Options
    julie88julie88 Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I thought so. All this media hype comes across as extremely distasteful to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I do think that people calling for the death penalty for two ten year boys is very wrong. However, why do we care so much for the murderers rights and seem to ignore victims and their families.

My family had lost a son (horrifically ) in the 1970's (before i was born) and the media were just as hysterical, they were constantly on the phone, banging on doors, harassing siblings. It broke the parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The media give up once it becomes evident that they will get no story. In Scandinavia, victims are treated with real care but it is a separate process to the way offenders are treated (and if you think offenders are treated leniantly here, they are treated far more so in Scandinavian countries). There needs to be a separate process for victims which takes care of their needs. The problem we have here is that people think this should mean they get to decide what should happen to offenders - this is counterproductive because all it does is keep the victim fused in a way to the person that harmed them.

The other thing which is distasteful (in my opinion) is how victimhood has almost become a career. Not just in this case but generally (even down to the number of claims for damages/personal injury) I blame things like Oprah for this. Frank Furedi has written quite a bit about this and what a negative impact this has on society (when Mary Bell killed the idea that her victims' families would get themselves PR agents would have been preposterous).
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Denise has ever been able to get closure over what happened. It doesn't really sit comfortably with me the way she goes to the media over the smallest little thing, surely she's only dragging it all up for herself again, causing herself unnessecary pain?

I can't think of any other parent or a murdered child who appears on television or in the press as much as she has over the years. It's not healthy IMO, and I'm not sure what she's trying to achieve anymore?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She appears on TV because she has had awful advice from that loathesome PR agent of hers (who continues to make money from the case - including the school pictures of Thompson and Venables for which he still owns the rights). Why on earth would he advise her differently? James Bulger's murder has been his bread and butter for years.

And of course, there is also the money.
  • Options
    MCC243MCC243 Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I don't think Denise has ever been able to get closure over what happened. It doesn't really sit comfortably with me the way she goes to the media over the smallest little thing, surely she's only dragging it all up for herself again, causing herself unnessecary pain?

I can't think of any other parent or a murdered child who appears on television or in the press as much as she has over the years. It's not healthy IMO, and I'm not sure what she's trying to achieve anymore?

She's still consumed by hate, plan and simple. The age of the perpetrators and the fact that because of their age they weren't treated as severely as an adult would be in those circumstances, is obviously a huge frustration to her. Will she ever find peace? I doubt it.

I refuse to criticise her for it as I couldn't say how I'd react in her position and neither could anyone on here (regardless of their current opinion). Losing a child is heartbreaking enough but to lose a child in the manner James Bulger lost his life must be horrific.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She might find peace if people like Chris Johnson, that godawful DJ in Liverpool and the scankiest of the British tabloid press would let this be. Fact is, the case remains a money spinner for them. This isn't due to care for her or the victim, it is simply about money.

The other thing is she has always been told there was an injustice. This is nonsense. They were treated more harshly than they would have been treated in China, Iran, Turkey, Morocco or Nigeria. No-where else in Europe would they have been charged with a crime. Even in Scotland and Ireland where the age of criminal responsibility was the same (Scotland actually 8 for a while), they would have been put through a juvenile system. They were also treated more harshly than they would be in the United States (despite ignorant people thinking different).

Here, they were tried as adults in an adult court and given a life sentence. There was an injustice but not the kind she thinks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    anais32 wrote: »
    She might find peace if people like Chris Johnson, that godawful DJ in Liverpool and the scankiest of the British tabloid press would let this be. Fact is, the case remains a money spinner for them. This isn't due to care for her or the victim, it is simply about money.

The other thing is she has always been told there was an injustice. This is nonsense. They were treated more harshly than they would have been treated in China, Iran, Turkey, Morocco or Nigeria. No-where else in Europe would they have been charged with a crime. Even in Scotland and Ireland where the age of criminal responsibility was the same (Scotland actually 8 for a while), they would have been put through a juvenile system. They were also treated more harshly than they would be in the United States (despite ignorant people thinking different).

Here, they were tried as adults in an adult court and given a life sentence. There was an injustice but not the kind she thinks.

In all the posts you've made on this topic, I could be wrong but I don't recall one were you have sympathised with the true victim of this crime.

For someone who works in a role that requires such tolerance and understanding I find you extremely hypocritical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She appears on TV because she has had awful advice from that loathesome PR agent of hers (who continues to make money from the case - including the school pictures of Thompson and Venables for which he still owns the rights). Why on earth would he advise her differently? James Bulger's murder has been his bread and butter for years.

And of course, there is also the money.

What a horrible man. What kind of person makes money from the murder of a child?
  • Options
    ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a horrible man. What kind of person makes money from the murder of a child?

Every time the school boy pictures of Thompson and Venables are shown Chris Johnson of Mercury Media gets a royalty fee. He also gets a cut of Denise Fergus' deal with the Daily Mail (Denise gets around 100k per each exclusive interview, its good to see her son Michael is going in the family trade)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCC243 wrote: »
    In all the posts you've made on this topic, I could be wrong but I don't recall one were you have sympathised with the true victim of this crime.

For someone who works in a role that requires such tolerance and understanding I find you extremely hypocritical.

The true victim of this crime was James himself. I don't think anything that anais has said has been unsympathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt its that much Clearview but Johnson certainly gets his cut and has been doing for years. (Although Mercury Press has had its problems and had to call in the receivers last year, he managed to set up another company with virtually the same name overnight). An utterly despicable man.

And actually I DO have sympathy for the victim (in this case a wholly innocent two year old whose life was cruelly decimated and whose name keeps getting dragged through the mud year after year and whose legacy, thanks to interested parties may well be one of vengeance and hate).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The true victim of this crime was James himself. I don't think anything that anais has said has been unsympathetic.

I know. But that's not what I said is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt its that much Clearview but Johnson certainly gets his cut and has been doing for years. (Although Mercury Press has had its problems and had to call in the receivers last year, he managed to set up another company with virtually the same name overnight). An utterly despicable man.

And actually I DO have sympathy for the victim (in this case a wholly innocent two year old whose life was cruelly decimated and whose name keeps getting dragged through the mud year after year and whose legacy, thanks to interested parties may well be one of vengeance and hate).

Can't help yourself can you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCC243 wrote: »
    Can't help yourself can you.

No offence, but what's your problem? Stop baiting other posters.