Options

Suarez bites back?

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. I cannot understand how they can be so deluded. It really does reflect very badly on them, IMO.

I fear our public, politicians, players and especially press would be equally deluded in defence of an England player as gifted as Suarez in a similar scenario.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    We are suppose to be intelligent.

lol

Mythica wrote: »
    Inhuman? Are you being serious? Surely you're on a wind up? This 'human' should never play football again.

The 'human' response isn't automatically to call for his head and ban him forever at all, intelligence tends to come with the ability to form your own opinion (and of course not fall for 'I feel sorry for you, are you not a human?' shite)

Incidentally, three strikes and out isn't human nature, it's baseball.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    I fear our public, politicians, players and especially press would be equally deluded in defence of an England player as gifted as Suarez in a similar scenario.

I don't think so Bosox

There are times in which you cannot defend the indefensible, you have to draw a line in the sand and agree that there is something very sadly wrong with somebody who displays and continues to display unacceptable behaviour or traits.

Uruguay, Suarez, the team and his lawyer are pathetic in their attempts to blame this ban on bad blood from Italy and England and their press, we all know full well that the actions of Suarez went viral immediately and calls for action came from 'the four corners of the earth'.

Until Suarez admits a problem he will never resolve it and people defending him are not helping him one iota!
  • Options
    General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Chiellini should also be punished for having such a hard and unyielding shoulder. Suarez was holding his mouth in agony after the incident. The shoulder clearly committed a very cynical foul on Suarez's teeth.
  • Options
    NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I don't think so Bosox

There are times in which you cannot defend the indefensible, you have to draw a line in the sand and agree that there is something very sadly wrong with somebody who displays and continues to display unacceptable behaviour or traits.

Uruguay, Suarez, the team and his lawyer are pathetic in their attempts to blame this ban on bad blood from Italy and England and their press, we all know full well that the actions of Suarez went viral immediately and calls for action came from 'the four corners of the earth'.

Until Suarez admits a problem he will never resolve it and people defending him are not helping him one iota!

Not just Italy and England; his lawyer has also implicated Brazil and others in a conspiracy against Suarez,

A siege mentality has settled over the Uruguayan camp, who believe that Suárez is being unfairly targeted. "You shouldn't forget that we're rivals of many and we can be for the hosts [Brazil] in the future. This does not go against what might have happened, but there's no doubt that Suárez is a stone in the shoe for many," said Suárez's lawyer Alejandro Balbi before the punishment was announced.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/26/luis-suarez-americas
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

When Beckham stuck his leg out and got sent off in 1998 I remember he was pilloried in the press, quite rightly too.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I don't think so Bosox

I agree. As much as I despise the majority of our politicians and the hierarchy at the FA, I don't believe they would be defending an Engilish player in similar circumstances.
    It's especially sad because the absurd comments from Suarez and the Uruguayan authorities have destroyed any remaining sympathy the public may have had for the player.
    If Suarez had been contrite and apologetic, he would have stiil received a ban. But at least there would have been a future for him as a player in the PL. Now I'm not so sure, trying to convince the rest of the world that he has been the victim of some kind of witch-hunt shows he is even more deluded than we thought.
    I can understand Liverpool fans wanting him back, he's a great player and I would feel the same if he was with Chelsea. But looking at the bigger picture, I can't see a future for him in the Premier League any more.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Beckham stuck his leg out and got sent off in 1998 I remember he was pilloried in the press, quite rightly too.

I said 'as gifted as Suarez'. Beckham had done very little in his England career to that point. He was just a 'stupid boy'. Suarez has won tournaments for Uruguay, he's delivered huge joy to their people.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did this biting all start with Suarez ?

You just don't walk onto a football pitch and sink your teeth into an opponent ?

If that Italian hadn't been wearing a shirt Suarez would probably taken a big chunk of his flesh .

He definitely needs medical help before he's let loose on the playing field again .
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you really believe that?

If so, you're a part of the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    When did this biting all start with Suarez ?

You just don't walk onto a football pitch and sink your teeth into an opponent ?

If that Italian hadn't been wearing a shirt Suarez would probably taken a big chunk of his flesh .

He definitely needs medical help before he's let loose on the playing field again .

Have you seen those pictures of him and Chiellini from last year? If Chiellini hadn't turned around and confronted him he might have done it then, too. Obviously we'll never know for sure, but it's so odd.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/3832/2014-world-cup/2014/06/25/4912931/did-suarez-try-to-bite-chiellini-before
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours that Uruguay may boycott their next match. Don't think they'll follow through with that but the hysteria of the anti-English defensivesness and ludicrous claims of photoshopping from some parts of the Uruguayian media make me wonder.....

I actually think Uruguay, for their attitude and Ramirez's pathetic attempts to cover up Chiellini's wounds, should be expelled and, if they are still in Brazil, Italy be allowed to take their place in the last 16.

Chile were banned from the World Cup when their keeper faked injury to get a qualifier they were losing in Brazil abandoned. A flare landed several feet away, and the team doctor came along with some fake blood and the keeper carried off. TV evidence damned them, and the side were thrown out of the following competition.

I'm not saying ban Uruguay from 2018, but that precedent could have been used to expel them from this competition, as Suarez actions, and the Uruguayans defence of them, was far worse than the Chilean fiasco.

EDIT: Just read up on it, it wasn't fake blood, the keeper cut himself. But it was a lifetime ban for him, a 2-0 statutory loss and Chile banned from the NEXT WC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Rojas

Using that as a precedent, I really don't think a lifetime ban for Suarez and a 2-0 win awarded to Italy would have been harsh at all, given it's his third offence, and his team were complicit in him not getting sent off, and also the FA has not admitted any responsibility for their player at all. I am surprised the Italians haven't put in an official protest to get this result annulled.

If that sounds harsh on Liverpool, order the Uruguayan FA to pay up the rest of his contract as well. If they refuse, then use the Chile precedent to threaten a 4 year ban.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't recall the world going crazy when Defoe bit Macherano .
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen those pictures of him and Chiellini from last year? If Chiellini hadn't turned around and confronted him he might have done it then, too. Obviously we'll never know for sure, but it's so odd.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/3832/2014-world-cup/2014/06/25/4912931/did-suarez-try-to-bite-chiellini-before

Why isnt Chiellini under intense scrutiny for his part in this incident and the previous one last year , he's clearly been pushing and provoking Suarez to his limit , hoping he'd snap .
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    It is only the English media getting in such a state about this whole situation though. I mean hearing people like Danny mills pontificating about suarez considering his chequered past is absurd. The people of Brazil find it funny, the people of Italy are not talking about suarez trying to bite their senior defender, but asking why their team flopped so badly and who the next manager will be. The Spanish press are all talking about what this means for his price.

Let me say I'm a Liverpool supporter and despite the above I do think now is the time to part company with his as long as the fee is the rightfully accepted amount according to his exceptional football talent. I don't want him gone for some moral outrage, because quite frankly on Saturday afternoon that doesn't matter to me, and it doesn't matter to suarez because he has had the boos and jeers before and has explicitly said it actually turns him on to be better.

I actually want him gone purely for Liverpool's interest in getting rid of a guy who always misses games and gives the manager a headache, and getting a lovely chunk of cash back to revamp the team.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Why isnt Chiellini under intense scrutiny for his part in this incident and the previous one last year , he's clearly been pushing and provoking Suarez to his limit , hoping he'd snap .

because theres nothing against the rules in winding someone up who you know has a dodgy temperament
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall the world going crazy when Defoe bit Macherano .

The world didn't go crazy when Suarez bit the PSV player.

One time is violent conduct, a few match ban. Second time a longer ban. Third time, and evidence that he tried it before with the same player? It suggests that, unless he is stopped, he is going to keep doing it and repeated bans of this nature aren't going to stop him. It shows that his sorrys don't mean anything. I really don't think he deserves a FOURTH chance.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    It is only the English media getting in such a state about this whole situation though. .

that's really not correct tbh

there have been links in this thread to news agencies all over the world reporting the story

I follow American sports and use a couple of well known sports blog sites and they have had multiple articles condemning what he did

why should you be surprised that its a big story here tho , he plays for an English club and was one of, if not the, highest profile players in the country last year, winning the PFA player of the year and the football writers player of the year

that's not to mention his previous history whilst he has played in the EPL
  • Options
    kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A ridiculous statement. How can you criticise people for how you think they'd behave in a completely hypothetical situation?

Can you give an example where this has actually happened?
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Uruguay are all behind him then maybe FIFA should ban him from playing domestic football outside of Uruguay. Give Liverpool say 40 million in goodwill and send him packing...let's see how they defend their hero when he ends up biting a young player for no reason..
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is only the English media getting in such a state about this whole situation though.

Yes i'm sure the Italians are telling Chiellini to get over it.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Chiellini should also be punished for having such a hard and unyielding shoulder. Suarez was holding his mouth in agony after the incident. The shoulder clearly committed a very cynical foul on Suarez's teeth.

There is a precedent too. I think we all remember Materazzi's cynical assault of Zidane when he enticed ZZ into bowing his head so that he could viciously barge him with his chest. And then the play acting that followed and how he spun the story out as though he were the victim.

(Just trying to get into the Uruguayan frame of mind.)
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrutinising Chiellini's part in it is nonsense, and I'm sure Defoe would have made more news if he also did it at the biggest event in football as part of a controversial career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member

Sure, if you call trying to play football provoking. Both times, Suarez grabs him from behind! Also, Chiellini's career doesn't seem to have been marred by a whole series of incidents such as say, hand ball or biting.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is it now for him. He has to be aware that if he tries anything like this again, his career will be over.

Almost certainly not. There`ll always be "one last chance" for Suarez. He clearly doesn`t see any punishment meted out to him as worthy of taking any notice of in terms of modifying his behaviour so it`ll happen again and he`ll receive another ban and he`ll be fined 15% of one month`s wages and the whole thing will repeat until he voluntarily retires when it suits him.