Pointless coming to the end of its natural life ?

humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
Forum Member
✭✭
I think so. Format getting a tad boring now

Comments

• Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I was about to disagree, but thats one convincing argument you have put forward...
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they need to cut the padding out of it
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I miss the "open-ended" questions of the earliest episodes, although I guess they're harder to come up with - and you're more likely to get hard-core "list learner" contestants being able to score an "easy" pointless for coming up with something ridiculously obscure.

(That said, I also kinda miss those lists they did where they threw in the odd "red herring" wrong answer. Wonder why they stopped doing those.)
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the OP: how is that a valid assertion when these are old repeats?
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I miss the "open-ended" questions of the earliest episodes, although I guess they're harder to come up with - and you're more likely to get hard-core "list learner" contestants being able to score an "easy" pointless for coming up with something ridiculously obscure.

(That said, I also kinda miss those lists they did where they threw in the odd "red herring" wrong answer. Wonder why they stopped doing those.)

Probably because of the whiners...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Why are you even talking about this? Seems pretty...
    Forum Member
    Probably because of the whiners...

Did people whine about those rounds particularly? :confused:
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres always too much padding. But i think its done deliberately as people are making tea whilst watching rhe show so they dont have to concentrate on it 100 percent
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've done pretty well with a rather flawed format - it often gets very boring at the end of the show.

I was going to write more, then I realised that the OP said it all.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chase seems to flow much better then Pointless.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Pointless and look forward to new episodes. I like the format, and I like what others refer to as the 'padding'. It's a fun quiz, lots of variety in the questions and generally likable people. It's on at a time when I'm generally moving from work to home mode (I work from home) and somehow it is perfect for that!

I know that people get annoyed with this response - but really - if you think it's "past it's best" then just don't watch it.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    The Chase seems to flow much better then Pointless.

Probably because the Chase is manipulated and edited to hell. It is crazy the amount of times on the Chase that you can guess just by how much time is left on the show, that the Chaser has been told to pad it out and get a few wrong to increase "the drama".
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »

I like the spark between Alexandra and Richard it's a great format that is flexible and not boring, it wins it's slot.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is the sign of the end when they begin doing celebrity specials of any programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because the Chase is manipulated and edited to hell. It is crazy the amount of times on the Chase that you can guess just by how much time is left on the show, that the Chaser has been told to pad it out and get a few wrong to increase "the drama".

Tell that to Beyond Dispute! In the credits every show - independent adjudicators, outside company, nothing to do with ITV. Here's a listing - http://www.4rfv.co.uk/brieflisting.asp?scategory=386&company=39149

These people are hired from outside to ensure everything is above board. What the Chase production team have leeway to edit out is natter, banter, explanations of wrong answers, explanations of the rules, etc. etc.

More to the point, Mark Labbett has a very big mouth! He's said, in as many words, "I had to throw that really easy question because they awarded me a point I shouldn't have received earlier in the show" of the US Chase. So if they were massaging questions, it wouldn't stay massaged for long - he's a very proud man, if he's falsely represented he shouts about it on twitter.
    Probably because they don't ask much of the contestants. Even if you're just guessing you've got a 70% chance of hitting a right answer - I liked working out why the wrong ones were wrong, but there's not much to mull over for the fifteen minutes a round takes if the answers are right in front of you. Just not very televisual!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have ejaculated, I must say it's hard to disagree with the OP's weighty point-by-point treatise on the failings of the show.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't look at the clock when you're viewing! I always record it anyway and skip through the adverts so I've no idea how much time is left.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »

Case closed on that evidence, axe the show now!
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I like the spark between Alexandra and Richard it's a great format that is flexible and not boring, it wins it's slot.

Was Alexandra on the cross dressing special?:D
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prizes are appalling, especially in the charity shows.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

Agreed. The show has changed a lot over the years since I've been watching. They often try out new things, there was even an audio round recently.
    Forum Member
    Agreed. The show has changed a lot over the years since I've been watching. They often try out new things, there was even an audio round recently.

I saw that mentioned but didn't see the episode. How did it work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    I saw that mentioned but didn't see the episode. How did it work?

It was the third round, where the pairs are allowed to confer. Can't remember exactly, but think they asked a question then played short segments from 5 different songs and the contestants tried to choose the most obscure, as usual. Can't see it becoming a regular round, as you had to remember the order the songs were played, in order to pick the correct option.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem Pointless seems to have is overkill - it's shown much too much on BBC1 and you don't know which shows are repeats and which are new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    The only problem Pointless seems to have is overkill - it's shown much too much on BBC1 and you don't know which shows are repeats and which are new.

I can usually tell that they are repeats. The shows currently being aired do full contestant introductions at the start of the show, whereas new episodes have a brief introduction at the start then go more in depth during round 1. Or even easier, you could check your TV guide.

However, I agree about the overkill. They could show something different instead of repeats, as long as it doesn't lose its slot for new episodes.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    "What would YOU do if you won today's jackpot?"