Options

EE broadband speed

lovethejoblovethejob Posts: 40
Forum Member
Hi, I switched to EE phone and broadband on the 8th April and have been getting a constant speed of around 8MB/s. Then for the last 4 weeks my speed has been stuck below 3MB/s>:(. I know 8MB/s isn't lighting quick but it's the quickest I've ever had with any provider. 3MB/s is the worst I've ever had. It also disconnects two, three sometimes four times a day. It has disconnected during typing this.

I had made several calls to EE with the outcome not helping and being told there is a fault in my area which is being looked at. A fault for 4 weeks, can't find any fault reports when searching cause there isn't any!!!!

I want to know is this a common practise by EE or am I just unlucky?

Wish I could just cancel and walk away.

Comments

• Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    lovethejob wrote: »
    Hi, I switched to EE phone and broadband on the 8th April and have been getting a constant speed of around 8MB/s. Then for the last 4 weeks my speed has been stuck below 3MB/s>:(. I know 8MB/s isn't lighting quick but it's the quickest I've ever had with any provider. 3MB/s is the worst I've ever had. It also disconnects two, three sometimes four times a day. It has disconnected during typing this.

I had made several calls to EE with the outcome not helping and being told there is a fault in my area which is being looked at. A fault for 4 weeks, can't find any fault reports when searching cause there isn't any!!!!

So with EE you're on the BT Wholesale broadband network. What was your previous provider? Sky or TalkTalk?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was TalkTalk but only got 5-6 Meg with them.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if anything have you done so far to trace where any fault may be occurring?

For example have you tried plugging the router into the test socket on the master socket? Have you tried swapping filters? Have you tried disconnecting everything bar the router? If you have extension sockets have you checked the cabling for damage? Have you ensured everything plugged into the line is using a filter and that those filters are in good working order?

If you have not done any tests at all then if EE do send out someone to look at the line and they discover it is something to do with your internal wiring causing the fault you could be looking at a three figure charge for the call out, plus the cost of having whatever is causing the fault sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is straight into the master socket with no extensions. Had tried different filters, even another router. It is plugged straight into the master socket then into the pc which is only 4 foot away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is straight into the master socket with no extensions. Had tried different filters, even another router. It is plugged straight into the master socket then into the pc which is only 4 foot away.

Do you mean there are no extension phone sockets wired into the back of the master socket or no extension cables being used to connect the router to the master socket? Or both :)

If you do have other phone sockets in the house then the cabling to them and/or whatever is plugged into them can have an impact on broadband performance. For example a broken cable can cause all sorts of noise and interference to appear on the line.

To eliminate your house wiring as the cause it is wise to use the test socket on the master. That is assuming you have a NTE5 type master with the two part front plate. If you do, remove the lower section and that will reveal the test socket normally hidden from view. Plug into that and see if it makes a difference.

If it makes no difference and the master socket is wired correctly then chances are you have a line fault. That will be up to EE to sort out. If however the fault clears then the problem is with your internal wiring. That will be up to you to sort out.

Even if you don't have any extension phone sockets it might be worth doing the test socket test. Just in case it is a dodgy front plate causing the problem. The removable front plate has a plug that mates with the test socket when fitted. This is then connected on to the socket on the front plate. It is possible for that connection to break or for the contacts on either the plug or socket to go dodgy.

But anyway, plugging into the test socket is a standard test that most service providers ask you to perform. So worth doing as it can help confirm it's a a line fault. If nothing else it gives you a bit more ammunition to throw EE's way to get a resolution.

And another thing. Do you have a phone plugged into the filter with the router? Do you notice any crackles or noise on the phone? And does it make any difference if the phone is unplugged? Again it is a case of eliminating your kit as much as possible from the equation.

If nothing else eliminating your kit as the cause may well save you having to pay for the call out to fix the fault, assuming you can beat up EE enough to actually do something. Which may be easier said than done. :(
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you have an NTE5 style master socket (with a split about 1/3 of the way down), unscrew the faceplate and plug your filter/router directly into the test socket, which is behind the faceplate as shown here:

http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Testing-connection-from-the-BT-Master-test-telephone-socket?Keywords=bt

Then please post your line stats:
    Sync speed
    SNR
    Attenuation

Can be found in the router's config pages, depends on model.

Run a speed test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and post the results.

Ensure that you run the speedtest via LAN with no other devices connected.

Click on further diagnostics after the test completes and post your IP Profile.

Connect a phone into the filter and then:

Dial 17070 from your landline, select the option for a quiet line test and check that there's no crackling or hissing on the line; it should be silent. If there is a crackle, ring your telephone provider (usually BT) and report it as a line fault rather than a broadband fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Took the front plate off, tried with and without the phone plugged in. Exactly the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took the front plate off, tried with and without the phone plugged in. Exactly the same.

In that case keep beating up EE to get it sorted. Tell them you have used the test socket and get the same problem. That might persuade them that you have a line fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Down Speed 3069kbps Up Speed 1200kbps
    Noise Margin Up 5.6 dB down 8.7 dB
    Line Attenuation Up 20.1 dB down 37.0 dB

Bt wholesale Speed Down 2.72 Up 1.02 Ping 60.13

Will try the quiet line test when the kids are quiet.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't know what the minimum SNR rate is on TalkTalk but I do know on BT Wholesale it is 3Db You're at 9Db at the moment (6Db is the default so all EE customers will initially start on that).

Although re-reading your post you've said that you've been with EE for a few months now so I'd guess you were on an SNR of 3Db when you had 8Mb. So you've gone from
    3Db to 9Db for some reason. It certainly sounds possible you have a line fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi thanks for providing that info. Makes it a little clearer.

The line is under-performing. You should see ~9400kbps sync with an attenuation of 37dB and the noise margin at 8.7dB.

nb. It's likely that the equipment at the exchange has increased your SNR due to the repeated disconnections, if the problem is fixed, it should return to ~6dB and your speed could increase further, up to 11mbps).

This is not an EE problem as such, it's an Openreach one, as they do not control the speed that your router manages to sync at.

Hopefully there is a crackle on the line, BT are usually pretty quick at fixing that. Otherwise you'll need to call EE and demand an Engineer visit.

One other place to look is the BT Wholesale DSL checker which will provide estimates for the line.

http://dslchecker.bt.com

If they are estimating a much higher speed than 3mbps on there, then you have some leverage with EE when trying to provoke them to do something.

Out of interest - are BT acknowledging a fault in your area/exchange on their website?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I don't know what the minimum SNR rate is on TalkTalk but I do know on BT Wholesale it is 3Db You're at 9Db at the moment (6Db is the default so all EE customers will initially start on that).

Although re-reading your post you've said that you've been with EE for a few months now so I'd guess you were on an SNR of 3Db when you had 8Mb. So you've gone from
    3Db to 9Db for some reason. It certainly sounds possible you have a line fault.

Even 9db gives 9400-12800kbps (I'm assuming the OP is on ADSL2+ due to the high upload speed). The higher SNR is probably due to DLM in the exchange trying to stabilise the line as it keeps dropping.

It's a clear cut line fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rang up to cancel. told them not worth having. Got put through to tech support and he did a line check, front plate off again, swapped the filter and another line test. Told to give it 48 hours and speed should be back up. He said he couldn't manually reset it as it has been an unstable line. Don't disconnect the router and if the speed isn't back after 48 hours to ring back to do a manual reset. Fingers and toes crossed. Will be looking to get fibre next year!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »

If they are estimating a much higher speed than 3mbps on there, then you have some leverage with EE when trying to provoke them to do something.

Out of interest - are BT acknowledging a fault in your area/exchange on their website?

Estimated speed is 7.5mbps.

No faults in my area.

Told if there can't get my speed I can leave for FREE!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your router actually sync-ing any faster?

Otherwise they've just bought 2 days of time. A profile reset won't help as your profile is correct for the sync speed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Even 9db gives 9400-12800kbps (I'm assuming the OP is on ADSL2+ due to the high upload speed). The higher SNR is probably due to DLM in the exchange trying to stabilise the line as it keeps dropping.

It's a clear cut line fault.

Well obviously DLM is the reason for the SNR increase. I agree it's a line fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is your router actually sync-ing any faster?

Otherwise they've just bought 2 days of time. A profile reset won't help as your profile is correct for the sync speed.

I don't hold much hope but have to jump through the hoops and play along to get it cancelled when there can't give me what there should.

By the way the speed is still the same at the minute.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hold much hope but have to jump through the hoops and play along to get it cancelled when there can't give me what there should.

By the way the speed is still the same at the minute.:cry:

The big problem is that you appear to have a line fault. That won't magically disappear if/when you change providers. So if you do change to another provider you could easily find yourself in exactly the same position as now.

And have to jump through even more hoops to get the line fault fixed.

The only possible way the fault may be fixed by changing providers is if you have a LLU deal with EE and the fault is in the exchange in the hook up to EE's kit. Changing provider in that instance would involve some rewiring in the exchange which might just fix the problem.

However if the fault is between the exchange and your home the fault is likely to persist. So unless whoever you go with sends Openreach out to test your line end to end there is a real possibility the fault may go unfixed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The big problem is that you appear to have a line fault. That won't magically disappear if/when you change providers. So if you do change to another provider you could easily find yourself in exactly the same position as now.

The only possible way the fault may be fixed by changing providers is if you have a LLU deal with EE and the fault is in the exchange in the hook up to EE's kit. Changing provider in that instance would involve some rewiring in the exchange which might just fix the problem.

However if the fault is between the exchange and your home the fault is likely to persist. So unless whoever you go with sends Openreach out to test your line end to end there is a real possibility the fault may go unfixed.

Thanks for the info, the line is only just over a year old, had to get a new for talktalk last year. I will be back onto them tomorrow night need the line fixed.
  • Options
    pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be worth making a complaint about EE through ISPA.

http://www.ispa.org.uk/

I've used them a couple of times when I was given the run around and my complaints were being ignored by my isp, and each time I received apologetic phone calls and swift action within a couple of days of the complaint.
    It's irrelevant that openreach is responsible for line faults, EE is the end provider and is responsible to you. If you change providers and have the same line fault you'll be back to square one so you may as well go through the complaints procedure with ISPA for EE and get it sorted once and for all.
  • Options
    Forum Member

EE don't have any LLU kit it's all been decommissioned you should know this ;)

EE has been on BT Wholesale for at least 18 months now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE don't have any LLU kit it's all been decommissioned you should know this ;)
    Why should I know this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why should I know this?

Because I guessed what your job is, I could be wrong of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I guessed what your job is, I could be wrong of course.

Well if you think it is any way related to telecoms you are wrong. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Openreach are coming tomorrow afternoon and hopefully that will be that