"Actually, I make my own"

Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
Forum Member
✭✭
On a Food and Drink forum what is it about that statement that causes so many posters to be ridiculed?
I've posted on other "Food" forums where the majority of contributions are personal recipe sharing or advice seeking for making particular dishes.
On F&D here it seems that anyone who suggests making it themselves is seen as a food snob.
I've even read comments in GD about the "hostility" on F&D toward anyone who dare mention the matter.
Am I wrong?

Comments

• Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, it's more about people barging in to offer that as advice when it's just not what the OP was looking for at all.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the thread sometimes people are discussing fast food, I don't usually contribute as I cook from scratch and think it would be unwanted to just pop in and say I cook it myself even if I offered a recipe it would not be what the thread was about. If someone asks for a recipe it would be just as wrong to say just go to burger king theirs is better !!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Depends on the thread sometimes people are discussing fast food, I don't usually contribute as I cook from scratch and think it would be unwanted to just pop in and say I cook it myself even if I offered a recipe it would not be what the thread was about. If someone asks for a recipe it would be just as wrong to say just go to burger king theirs is better !!

Exactly.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thought exactly.

If someone asks, for e.g., 'What's your favourite Dominos?', then chiming in with 'Actually, I make my own', is completely irrelevant and is posted purely to be superior. It's like asking 'What's your favourite pop band?' and someone saying 'Actually, I listen to classical'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    My thought exactly.

If someone asks, for e.g., 'What's your favourite Dominos?', then chiming in with 'Actually, I make my own', is completely irrelevant and is posted purely to be superior. It's like asking 'What's your favourite pop band?' and someone saying 'Actually, I listen to classical'.

Not necessarily.

I moved somewhere that the nearest Dominos, McDs, BK etc is 12 miles - so sometimes I contribute to fast food threads saying I make my own and my success in achieving a decent approximation purely because I miss my junk food and its the only way I can contribute! :cry:

Though I appreciate some people *do* do it to be superior, not everyone does. And I myself like to see those 'make your own' ideas popping up anyway, whether the OP does or not. They're useful to me.

I don't really get the big deal about it - it's like inverted snobbery :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps that would warrant a thread of it's own rather than putting it in a thread about fast food, I am sure plenty of people would be interested and that wouldn't upset the fast food fans.
    Forum Member

Would it be wrong to give your input and advise buying pre-made puff pastry, or dim sum, or whatever?

If someone seems genuinely unaware that a pre-made product is more than likely going to far better than anything they can make at home, or doesn't appear to realise how complex, time-consuming expensive it is to make from scratch...

It's not just about the OP's benefit and wishes - it might help anybody reading the thread so I think all contributions should be welcome myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be wrong to give your input and advise buying pre-made puff pastry, or dim sum, or whatever?

If someone seems genuinely unaware that a pre-made product is more than likely going to far better than anything they can make at home, or doesn't appear to realise how complex, time-consuming expensive it is to make from scratch...

It's not just about the OP's benefit and wishes - it might help anybody reading the thread so I think all contributions should be welcome myself.

Again I think it depends on the thread it should be possible from the OP and the subsequent discussion if people want to know about other possibilities or if they just want to simply talk about fish and chip shops or nandos or whatever.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Mostly because it's either extremely off topic or downright ridiculous.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because some people annoyingly presume people who like fast food or who take a shortcut now and then are plebs who think Iceland sausages are the height of fine cuisine.

Nobody likes a clever dick.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Because some people annoyingly presume people who like fast food or who take a shortcut now and then are plebs who think Iceland sausages are the height of fine cuisine.

Nobody likes a clever dick.

Some things in Iceland, I have bought for work such as their vegetarian burgers which for £1 for a packet of four I cannot possibly make myself at that price.

I enjoy cooking and do make an effort to make everything I possibly can from scratch but there are times infrequently where I find some products ready made which are very tasty and a lot cheaper. However, it does take a lot to impress me and those vegetable burgers certainly have.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,676
    Forum Member
    I think it's the way in which it's done that offends people. There's a world of difference between saying 'I make my own because I enjoy it, I prefer the taste and it's suprisingly easy' and effectively saying 'you should make your own because the shop bought is rubbish and full of crap and I feel superior to you and seem to feel I have a right to patronise and judge you for your food choices', which is the way some posters come across when they are posting about making their own on here.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mostly because it's either extremely off topic or downright ridiculous.

What is, Walter?
    Any suggestion of "making your own"?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    What is, Walter?
    Any suggestion of "making your own"?

I do make my own.;-)

Mostly it's on threads when people say, 'Who does the best takeaway pizza' and someone randomly says 'I make my own, its' cheaper and faster'.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I've probably been guilty of this but food is one of those things people are evangelical about. I understand it can come over as condescending or snooty but when you find a better, cheaper or simple way to do things yourself you just want to share it with other food enthusiasts.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a Food and Drink forum what is it about that statement that causes so many posters to be ridiculed?
    I've posted on other "Food" forums where the majority of contributions are personal recipe sharing or advice seeking for making particular dishes.
    On F&D here it seems that anyone who suggests making it themselves is seen as a food snob.
    I've even read comments in GD about the "hostility" on F&D toward anyone who dare mention the matter.
    Am I wrong?

I don't think you are wrong.

I like DS as a whole, but Food and Drink doesn't meet the expectations of someone who actually likes to make things from scratch. It's littered with silly game threads and topics about crisps and fast food restaurants.

I've shared a few recipes on the forum over the years, but finding a new one among all the dross just doesn't happen and it is easier to go elsewhere. Perhaps we should petition for a sub-sub forum for recipe swapping? If we had that, then my visits to F&D would become a daily habit, rather than a bi-monthly.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty much what Walter says.

If someone just wants a frivolous chat about which Pizza you normally get if you have a Dominoes, then irrespective of whether one can make a better pizza at home or not, it simply isn't pertinent to the thread topic.

By all means post homemade recipes, but preferably in a separate thread and let those who just want to compare notes on takeaway choices do just that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem is anytime in GD a food is mentioned eg which brand of pizza do you prefer ? they move it to food and drink. Several threads about halal slaughter were moved here too. Also happens in the pet forum anything like how can we kill the rats in our cellar etc gets moved to pets where really it just upsets the rat owners !
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    If someone just said they make their own- fine
    It's the "it's cheaper, so easy- and you know what's in it!" That annoys me

Or advising that it's cheaper if your on a budget, then it's something you need to cook for hours which disregards the amount of people who use energy keys so have to pay for fuel whilst cooking

Plus occasionally most people enjoy NOT cooking from scratch and having take out.

I notice people saying it outside of food and drink in threads too
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

It's on a par with `eat less, move more` in diet threads on the scale of annoyingness
    Forum Member

Or advising that it's cheaper if your on a budget, then it's something you need to cook for hours which disregards the amount of people who use energy keys so have to pay for fuel whilst cooking

Plus occasionally most people enjoy NOT cooking from scratch and having take out.

I notice people saying it outside of food and drink in threads too

I'm all self-conscious now :cry: Like I said earlier, moving somewhere miles form the nearest takeout has led to me 1) getting pretty good at recreating them at home and 2) really enjoying talking about my old fave takeouts.

For example, someone once mentioned loving a doner kebab but hating the thought of all the shite in them - so I told them how I'd made my own and actually made it the fatty, greasy, unhealthy delight (that could be popped in the microwave with no prep no less) but without the rat ears in....

It's how I can contribute to those threads, and I like to talk about those foods I miss so much too :( I don't mean it pompously!

And it works the other way too - if someone asked for a puff pastry receipe, or dim sum, etc I'd probably pop on and say 'don't bother - buy it' , because cost, time, and results from my experience has brought me to the conclusion that that might suit people better in X circumstance.

I think I've seen more unwarranted crappy responses about this kind of thing than I have actual pompous input, to be honest.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of second-guessing going on here, a lot of presuming people can detect the motivations behind what other people post. Wouldn't it be better not to jump to conclusions ?

This can be quite a schizophrenic forum -- you have those with a real interest in cooking adventurous food alongside those who only like to talk about fast food, and that's not to mention the What Did You Eat Today residents, most of whom seem to be to have borderline eating disorders (and who eat such TERRIBLE meals, in my opinion). But hey ho, it's a big wide world and there should be space for everyone.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Gaditano wrote: »
    There's a lot of second-guessing going on here, a lot of presuming people can detect the motivations behind what other people post. Wouldn't it be better not to jump to conclusions ?

This can be quite a schizophrenic forum -- you have those with a real interest in cooking adventurous food alongside those who only like to talk about fast food, and that's not to mention the What Did You Eat Today residents, most of whom seem to be to have borderline eating disorders (and who eat such TERRIBLE meals, in my opinion). But hey ho, it's a big wide world and there should be space for everyone.

What did you eat today is fascinating

Though I think people skip things and don't post them
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did you eat today is fascinating

Though I think people skip things and don't post them

Fascinating in a can't-take-your-eyes-off-a-car-crash way!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Gaditano wrote: »

Yes I agree. I like reading this forum because of the widely different topics on food, I enjoy reading peoples recipes/tips and I also enjoy reading subjects such as 'Favourite Pringle Flavour' - being a food lover I just like the variety of subjects about food.

If someone should post on a thread that they make their own or questions why another poster should make their own it really doesn't bother me - I think I am too laid back to get cross with someone on an internet forum, although in some instances I think some people post occasionally 'why not make your own its cheaper etc' as a bit of an in-joke on here.:)

I also enjoy reading the 'what did you eat today' thread - its fascinating stuff :p