Possible for a Male and Female to just be friends?

Freeview_ViewerFreeview_Viewer Posts: 1,262
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a married man and I have a friend who is a girl. We get on so well but sometimes their are some awkward moments as we get on too well sometimes.

So is it possible?

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Have the 'awkward moments' included a tongue and/or a winky?
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Of course a male and female can be just friends. I (a female) have lots of male friends and we don't let it become awkward between us. I guess if things for you are seeming like you're getting on much 'too well' with this friend then maybe distance yourself from them for a short while.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible for a woman to be friends with a man, but not the other way around.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I have a lot of male friends, I grew up with predominantly male friends. There is so much less drama with lads lol.

So yeah based on my experience, it's completely possible to do so.
  • whodoowhodoo Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I think there is an generation gap in this. Seems to me people in their mid twenties and younger can maintain friendships with the opposite sex much more easily than my age group.

It starts at school, now boys and girls can be friends from an early age, they grow up together,mature together. their best friend at school can be of either sex.

In my day the sexes were taught in the same room but we didn't really mix. Boys had their friends and girls theirs. They only really spent time together as boyfriend and girlfriend.

The young today are far more comfortable and accepting of each other in a way my generation can't really manage.

I'm a bit envious really.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's possible for a woman to be friends with a man, but not the other way around.

Utter nonsense. One of my dearest friends is female.
  • MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whodoo wrote: »
    I think there is an generation gap in this. Seems to me people in their mid twenties and younger can maintain friendships with the opposite sex much more easily than my age group.

Hmmm well I am 32 and have plenty of male friends thanks, I live with one i've known since I was 15 and nothing has ever happened between us. It's entirely possible but if you have awkward moments around this person then I would suggest there is more to it than friendship, as you well know...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utter nonsense. One of my dearest friends is female.

Depends how good looking you are I suppose:D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of male friends, I grew up with predominantly male friends. There is so much less drama with lads lol.

So yeah based on my experience, it's completely possible to do so.

In my experience, it's the women that covet drama themselves that hold this view.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Of course they can. I have lots of male friends that don't want to jump into bed with me and I have never had an awkward moment with any of them.

I have never understood this thing about men and women not being able to be just friends as it has never been a problem for me.
  • BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absolutely my best friend is a female...she is like a sister to me
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    In my experience, it's the women that covet drama themselves that hold this view.

Really? So you think there is more drama and bitching between a group of lads than there is girls?
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have several female friends, but I would happily go to bed with them. Any male that says they wouldn't is lying. I guess we just keep it to ourselves and under control.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it's possible.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Of course they can. I have lots of male friends that don't want to jump into bed with me and I have never had an awkward moment with any of them.

I have never understood this thing about men and women not being able to be just friends as it has never been a problem for me.

I always wonder if it's an age thing ?. Maybe the older you get, the more mature you get and realise that not every member of the opposite sex is to be seen as a potential conquest ?
  • SolidSnakeSolidSnake Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Ofcourse! I have lots of female friends who i wouldn't go to bed with :)
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is possible, though not as common as girls might like to imagine, as in 99% of cases the man will be imagining some sort of sexy-time scenario, however...
    I am a married man

coupled with
    We get on so well but sometimes their are some awkward moments as we get on too well sometimes.

... is a recipe for disaster
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's possible. One of my very best friends is female, we have been very close since we were on the same course at uni 12 years ago. She is now also very good friends with my wife and I am with her husband, and as couples we often do stuff together including holidays. However if were to go away and stay with her alone when her husband was away, there'd be no issue whatsoever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

that is utter rubbish.

I have a number of female friends who are exactly that. friends. I less than no interest in being anymore than friends with them and they with me.

Its completely possible.

what the op is describing though is not friendship. If he thinks they're getting on too well then one or both fancies the other.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is, here in the land of grown-ups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have several female friends, but I would happily go to bed with them. Any male that says they wouldn't is lying. I guess we just keep it to ourselves and under control.

don't judge us all by your low standards. if that's how you feel then you're not really their friend are you?

Friendship is asexual in nature.

Of course there no reason why people in a sexual relationship can't be friends as well but friendship itself is completely asexual.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    If you are married and having 'close moments' with another woman then you really need to stop being around her surely?
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    what the op is describing though is not friendship. If he thinks they're getting on too well then one or both fancies the other.

Yes, in a friendship you need to accept each others boundaries.
    If these "awkward" moments are cropping up then one or both of them are blurring the lines and the boundaries need to be made very clear before "awkwardness" becomes something else!
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

I think this is true up to a point. I think most men wouldn't go to bed with their female friends as they are already in happy relationships themselves and plus they are friends with their friend's husbands as well.

However if both parties were single and the woman suggested a bit of nookie then i think nearly all men would quite happily agree...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Of course it's possible! I have loads of male friends and none of them want to jump into bed with me.