Sky installer told me that I didn't require a phone line connected...

12345679»

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    the mass population will not agree when the alternative is Ethernet cable running everywhere which is a lot heavier than phone cable, not to mention visible.

indeed, however it's still a messy solution.
    the booster requires constant power, which in this day and age we are being told to reduce power consumption, not add to it.

a booster is also another thing that will need technical support when it goes wrong.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    indeed, however it's still a messy solution.
    the booster requires constant power, which in this day and age we are being told to reduce power consumption, not add to it.

a booster is also another thing that will need technical support when it goes wrong.

But how many people do you think will actually require a booster? Probably not a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    But how many people do you think will actually require a booster? Probably not a lot.

that's really hard to tell as it depends on the individual house.
    the wifi range on the sky SR101 was pretty poor when i tested it (compared to an AEBS in the same spot) - and that was in a flat with non-brick internal walls.

the majority of folk will know very little about wifi configuration (and they don't want to have to know about it either). they want it just to work.

with sky clearly pushing the wifi inter-connectivity it is only going to massively increase in the amount of technical support calls, and i wonder if the sky CS is really up to that job.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

with sky clearly pushing the wifi inter-connectivity it is only going to massively increase in the amount of technical support calls, and i wonder if the sky CS is really up to that job.

I think in the real world there will hardly be the need for them. Maybe three storey houses and the odd enormous mansion. But on the whole it'll hardly increase calls that much.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    I think in the real world there will hardly be the need for them. Maybe three storey houses and the odd enormous mansion. But on the whole it'll hardly increase calls that much.

You've obviously never done technical support for WiFi with non-technical customers :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've obviously never done technical support for WiFi with non-technical customers :D

What's that got to do with it. My point was and in my experience hardly anyone will need one in the first place.
    Obviously it will generate extra calls thats a given but it will hardly cripple the company. Same could be said for the arrival of sky plus features, new HD EPG and pretty much everything sky have every released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member

With a tendency for the Wireless modem/router to be on an outside wall (where the telephone point is often provided) often at a low level the wireless coverage in many houses will be less than ideal.

I live in a fairly large three bedroom bungalow with egg box walls and wireless struggles to cover the whole house. With a repeater positioned around the middle of the house (not the SKY device) the whole house and the back garden is covered.

In practice the vast majority of punters will probably not be aware of the device or its capabilities and those that are probably not aware of its suitability or otherwise.

SKY support will probably have some "interesting" calls from customers! Will the punters realise the the "booster" doesnt "boost" it is a repeater and needs to be sited at a position it can pick up a decent signal from the primary WiFi device (or connected by ethernet) and should, ideally, be sited at a high level (on top of a wardrobe etc is good) to get the best coverage.

Use of inSSIDer or similar software is very useful to get really good coverage but will the average user do this? I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's that got to do with it. My point was and in my experience hardly anyone will need one in the first place.
    Obviously it will generate extra calls thats a given but it will hardly cripple the company. Same could be said for the arrival of sky plus features, new HD EPG and pretty much everything sky have every released.

if everyone is using the supplied sky router then they might need one, as i found the wifi range to be quite poor on it.
    the drop off rate was significant from only a short distance away in a house with plasterboard walls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if everyone is using the supplied sky router then they might need one, as i found the wifi range to be quite poor on it.
    the drop off rate was significant from only a short distance away in a house with plasterboard walls.

I think in most cases wifi range is similar but instead bad signal is usually from t he devices connecting to it. Iphones for example are pretty bad for wifi compared to my Samsung S3
    And my Sky router gives out better wifi than my Virgin Media superhub but only ever so slightly.
    The main reason for the release of this device is primarily to lengthen the range so all sky boxes can be connected to the internet. So in reality we really only need better wifi in the places of a sky box.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member

I never said it would 'cripple the company', but they are going to get a high percentage of support calls from users with both the WiFi extender, and existing WiFi users.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think in most cases wifi range is similar but instead bad signal is usually from the devices connecting to it. Iphones for example are pretty bad for wifi compared to my Samsung S3
    And my Sky router gives out better wifi than my Virgin Media superhub but only ever so slightly.
    The main reason for the release of this device is primarily to lengthen the range so all sky boxes can be connected to the internet. So in reality we really only need better wifi in the places of a sky box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in most cases wifi range is similar but instead bad signal is usually from the devices connecting to it. Iphones for example are pretty bad for wifi compared to my Samsung S3

no need to repeat yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I am a new Sky customer. Complete package + 2 multiscreen subs as well. I extended the phone line to the relevant places myself a week before my installation date since I had a load of spare CAT6 from my office move.

Have to say, I am glad I did, because the Sky engineer that put the boxes, dish and coax in, wasn't going to do it. But he did make the point of plugging the boxes into the phone line.

Still, he was a friendly bloke who didn't mess about and got the job done in no time at all, all working perfectly. When he told me about how many jobs he was expected to do that day and the distance they were apart.

I'm not a sympathetic person but I'd rather not do that job, seems like a hard days graft and loads of driving.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_rocker wrote: »
    I am a new Sky customer. Complete package + 2 multiscreen subs as well. I extended the phone line to the relevant places myself a week before my installation date since I had a load of spare CAT6 from my office move.

Have to say, I am glad I did, because the Sky engineer that put the boxes, dish and coax in, wasn't going to do it. But he did make the point of plugging the boxes into the phone line.

Still, he was a friendly bloke who didn't mess about and got the job done in no time at all, all working perfectly. When he told me about how many jobs he was expected to do that day and the distance they were apart.

I'm not a sympathetic person but I'd rather not do that job, seems like a hard days graft and loads of driving.

How do you know he wasn't going to do it?

Also, if it was after the 18th December (you don't say when), then he isn't required to do it. If he was required to do it, and didn't, it would have made no difference to you, as a quick call if there was a problem would have sorted it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know he wasn't going to do it?

Also, if it was after the 18th December (you don't say when), then he isn't required to do it. If he was required to do it, and didn't, it would have made no difference to you, as a quick call if there was a problem would have sorted it.

actually if the customer requests it then they are still required to do it. it's just that it is no longer a mandatory part of the install.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually if the customer requests it then they are still required to do it. it's just that it is no longer a mandatory part of the install.

Either way, the customer did not need to run it himself, at his own time and cost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I got my second letter the other day telling me I needed to connect boxes to phone line. I explained that a Sky installer did my installation when I moved house a few weeks ago and he didn't mention or go near the phone lines.

Sky employee told me to connect the main box to the telephone line, contact them when I do it and they will do a callback, when I do that they will exempt the multi room box in my daughters room.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A lot depends on whether foil-backed plasterboard has been used or not.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Rizzler78 wrote: »
    I got my second letter the other day telling me I needed to connect boxes to phone line. I explained that a Sky installer did my installation when I moved house a few weeks ago and he didn't mention or go near the phone lines.

Sky employee told me to connect the main box to the telephone line, contact them when I do it and they will do a callback, when I do that they will exempt the multi room box in my daughters room.

Contact Sky back and explain to them that if they want the box connecting to a phone line, they are welcome to send an installer round to finish off the job they seem to think wasn't finished.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my multiscreen 2tb box fitted on Monday and love it. The installation was a breeze even though he had to drill some holes and used his ladder a fair few times. It was a 40 minute job but he made it really neat and tidy and absolutely no phone line necessary:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I had my multiscreen 2tb box fitted on Monday and love it. The installation was a breeze even though he had to drill some holes and used his ladder a fair few times. It was a 40 minute job but he made it really neat and tidy and absolutely no phone line necessary:)

that's because phone line connections are no longer required for new multiscreen installs.