Options

Baby Showers

Comments

• Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Showers can be held both before and after the birth. Sentiment stands, why go then moan about it afterwards :) incidentally my DIL s was arranged by her friend who is an American.

Why not if she wants to? People moan about having to go to weddings, or the office party, or school sports day or whatever. Sometimes duty or manners oblige us to do things we don't want to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not if she wants to? People moan about having to go to weddings, or the office party, or school sports day or whatever. Sometimes duty or manners oblige us to do things we don't want to.

Indeed, and having to sit through "awwwws" and "ahhhhs" and chocolate nappies...... sorry, but I bought a bloody expensive present and I deserve my moan, hence the thread! And more will be expected when the baby's born.....

I did make reference to a less contrived pre-baby gathering though. Which I think is the way it should be done.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's bloody cheeky to expect presents for a baby that hasn't yet been born. This is one US import that needs nipping in the bud and stopping ASAP, as I've noticed more and more baby shower photos appearing on my Facebook feed over the last year or so. My cousin had a baby recently and didn't have one, thank goodness.

I take it these people who have them don't expect gifts when the baby actually arrives then?....
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, and having to sit through "awwwws" and "ahhhhs" and chocolate nappies...... sorry, but I bought a bloody expensive present and I deserve my moan, hence the thread! And more will be expected when the baby's born.....

I did make reference to a less contrived pre-baby gathering though. Which I think is the way it should be done.

I must have misunderstood what a shower is. I thought if it was pre baby it was for all the friends of mum to be to shower her with gifts and baby advice and not baby gifts. A sort of hen night:confused:
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I must have misunderstood what a shower is. I thought if it was pre baby it was for all the friends of mum to be to shower her with gifts and baby advice and not baby gifts. A sort of hen night:confused:

I think that was how they originally began, I'm not sure if people even brought gifts, I think they just brought home made cakes and things like that. But now it's escalated into a sort of pre christening, with expensive presents and wine and fancy canapes (and chocolates in nappies :o). And so, of course, you have the usual brigade using it as a show off, upstaging each other, going OTT event.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently another custom creeping into England is 'Gender Parties'. The guests are all invited, the parents cut into a cake, and the inside is either blue or pink revealing the sex of the unborn baby to an audience who are no doubt holding their breath with anticipation. Sounds totally daft to me.

Jesus Christ, can it get any worse?! :cry:
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Apparently another custom creeping into England is 'Gender Parties'. The guests are all invited, the parents cut into a cake, and the inside is either blue or pink revealing the sex of the unborn baby to an audience who are no doubt holding their breath with anticipation. Sounds totally daft to me.

OK now that's just tacky. What's wrong with a few simple phonecalls/texts or emails to family and friends to tell them it's a boy or girl? Some people just need any excuse to have a tacky party and pissup >:( Why the sudden need to have a party for everything? Software launch parties I can cope with (remember the Windows 7 launch parties?), but this kind of thing is just crass and a waste of time.
    I've had the misfortune of seeing "Nappy Cakes" pop up on my Facebook feed - they appear to be a pile of nappies in the form of a cake. Thank god my two were born in the nineties when none of this madness existed.

That's disgusting :o Have people gone mad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK now that's just tacky. What's wrong with a few simple phonecalls/texts or emails to family and friends to tell them it's a boy or girl? Some people just need any excuse to have a tacky party and pissup >:( Why the sudden need to have a party for everything? Software launch parties I can cope with (remember the Windows 7 launch parties?), but this kind of thing is just crass and a waste of time.

Lest we forget Susan Boyle's album party, promoted with the most unfortunate hashtag of #susanalbumparty :D
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Never been to one, not known anyone who has had one.

Same here, not something that's common at all in my part of the country. Most people I know just had a Christening or similar once the baby was born.
    topcat3 wrote: »
    Favours are not American.

Neither is the bridesmaids entering before the bride or the male members of the wedding party all wearing the same suits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been to one and it was a very sweet little tea-party and a nice opportunity to see my friend in clothes untainted by baby-puke for the last time :)

I have been invited to others but generally don't understand the concept. I provide baby presents when they arrive. It's a good excuse to visit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's nothing disgusting about a nappy cake as most of them are made of real (ie cloth resusable) nappies which are better for the environment and cheaper in the long run. It's not a cake made out of used disposables :D
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not a baby shower fan but I'm not sure why you think it's disgusting to arrange brand new reusable nappies into the shape of a cake... Its just a decorative way of giving them to the new mum as a gift as opposed to handing over a box of nappies.

http://shannonbanks.blogs.com/my_uk_life/WindowsLiveWriter/emma's%20cake.jpg
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Most nappy cakes I've seen weren't made of nappies. Just various baby items like bibs, socks, mittens etc. Quite sweet really.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Lest we forget Susan Boyle's album party, promoted with the most unfortunate hashtag of #susanalbumparty :D

Did that really happen? :p
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I'm not a baby shower fan but I'm not sure why you think it's disgusting to arrange brand new reusable nappies into the shape of a cake... Its just a decorative way of giving them to the new mum as a gift as opposed to handing over a box of nappies.

http://shannonbanks.blogs.com/my_uk_life/WindowsLiveWriter/emma's%20cake.jpg

I actually thought it was a cake for eating and that someone made it from icing to look like a pile of nappies. I don't really know a lot about that kinda stuff though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did that really happen? :p

I actually thought it was a cake for eating and that someone made it from icing to look like a pile of nappies. I don't really know a lot about that kinda stuff though :D

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23susanalbumparty

Oh yes! Nothing wrong with nappy cakes, but it's the "guess the melted bar of chocolate that you have to eat out of a nappy" game that I find repulsive. And I LOVE melted chocolate too. And for those who don't believe me.....

http://www.ehow.com/how_5100268_play-diaper-baby-shower-game.html
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from Ireland and when I was a child the bride always walked up the aisle first. It's only recently that some weddings now have the bridesmaids go first.

Are you in the north or south though? In my area it's been bridesmaids first for as long as I remember (certainly 20 years at least).
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gift lists are greedy regardless of the occasion. What's wrong with a Morphy Richards toaster for a wedding, why do I feel pressure to buy a canteen of cutlery or 500 threat count Egyptian cotton duvet sets? People should be grateful and lower their expectations.Baby showers are a con. Buy a couple of rompers and a rattle when the baby is here, and chuck in a bottle of relaxing bath oil for mum. That'll do. Don't get me started on hen/stag dos!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you in the north or south though? In my area it's been bridesmaids first for as long as I remember (certainly 20 years at least).

I'm in the North of England and it's always been bridesmaids first around here, although there's a large population of people with Irish ancestry so maybe that's a factor :D
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to 2 a couple of years ago, they were for colleagues and to be fair they'd been organised by their mums rather than my colleagues.

They were okay but not really my idea of a good night out. I did take a present to each, but once the babies were born I jut sent a card as they had already had the presents and I think it's a bit much to have to buy twice.

I don't really like the idea of buying for a baby before its born, I feel it's tempting fate.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, its just to buy the things the baby needs. Its a purely gift giving occassion. The mother would register beforehand.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the idea of baby showers at all. "Hey everyone! I'm inviting you to come round to my house and shower me with gifts at 2pm". So cheeky! The invite makes it worse - as if it's a privilege to be asked. Not that she would like your company or for a might out, like a hen party, just for you to come and bring her a present, and fawn over her for the afternoon.

I wouldn't go to one out of principle, but I might get her an unasked-for-gift, and give it to her when I choose to.
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I hosted a baby shower for my daughter when she was expecting her twins. We didn't do anything tacky, just about 30 women at my house having a laugh. I made it clear that presents weren't compulsory, and if one was bought then there was no need to buy again after the birth.

A friend who owns a restaurant provided the food and I got in some drinks. I also bought a keepsake book that all her friends signed with a personal message. It was a great afternoon and most importantly it was a chance for my daughter to see everyone and have fun.

Just as well, her waters broke 3 days later 10 weeks early and she spent the next 5 weeks at their bedside in ICU.

These things are as good or as tacky as you make them, they don't have to be cringeworthy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else find some women's baby obsessions weird? I can understand mums being proud of their children and I also understand people being happy for someone that is having a child. But it doesn't seem to just be that anymore, Facebook especially is showing so many mums that are obsessed with their own babies and other people's babies to the point it has become extremely weird and I think that these mums have something wrong with them.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    Does anyone else find some women's baby obsessions weird? I can understand mums being proud of their children and I also understand people being happy for someone that is having a child. But it doesn't seem to just be that anymore, Facebook especially is showing so many mums that are obsessed with their own babies and other people's babies to the point it has become extremely weird and I think that these mums have something wrong with them.
    Yes I do...

It's almost as if they are living their lives through their babies/children. I think it's extremely unhealthy as an adult to allow your entire life to revolve around the children. I also think they are exactly the sort who will suffer from empty nest syndrome when those children eventually leave home.
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had my 3 kids I made a list of what I needed and bought it myself. So no baby shower. Then when the baby was born my OH came to the hospital with cards, teddy, chocs and a balloon from himself which was fab, but I didnt get or want cards or presents from other people, not even relatives, they came over to admire the baby once i was out of hospital but i dont recall gifts or cards (which was/is fine by me) . We didnt bother with a christening party or event, so no expense there and I made the midwife in the hospital laugh when she handed me the form for my "birth plan" because I wrote on it, "Get it over with as quickly as possible, escape and go home, crack open a a bottle of champaigne and celebrate"