Options

Breaking up all weekend?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
I noticed this yesterday, channels glitching and breaking up, happens on all channels from BBC to Sky Sports, I checked signal and quality and all are fine so I am thinking the only thing it could be is the weather. Anyone else having problems this weekend?

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I noticed this yesterday, channels glitching and breaking up, happens on all channels from BBC to Sky Sports, I checked signal and quality and all are fine so I am thinking the only thing it could be is the weather. Anyone else having problems this weekend?
    Did you check the signal readings while you were actually tuned to a channel that was breaking up?
    If you're not recording a different channel to the one you're watching, one signal reading will be the default transponder, which could be fine while other frequencies are not.
    :)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    My satellite signal (UK, West Country) has been fine over the weekend. Could it perhaps be a dish that's been blown out of alignment by the recent high winds?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am having this problem too. I have had a Sky dish for 9yrs and we do live on a hill with a lot of wind. I have never had a problem with the signal due to high winds.

But in the last month or more every single night we are affected. We assumed that a bush around our front gate could have been buggering up the signal, so my husband cut it down. The last two evenings have been unwatchable and we have resorted to Digital TV. The amount of recordings I have made where it says 'part recorded due to signal lost'.

Its really getting on my nerves.
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I am having this problem too. I have had a Sky dish for 9yrs and we do live on a hill with a lot of wind. I have never had a problem with the signal due to high winds.

But in the last month or more every single night we are affected. We assumed that a bush around our front gate could have been buggering up the signal, so my husband cut it down. The last two evenings have been unwatchable and we have resorted to Digital TV. The amount of recordings I have made where it says 'part recorded due to signal lost'.

Its really getting on my nerves.

if the slightest bit of picture break up occurs when the weather is still and calm then that usually means there is a fault with something. Ring sky and get it fixed. Why sit with a faulty system?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought I would update this. Thisis the best signal I can get. I went up today with a meter and set it myself but still glitching occurs. I then swapped boxes, I put in an Openbox Satellite receiver, it happened on it as well. I then though right might be the F plugs, so I redid them, also moved them to different ports on the LNB and still this damn glitching occurs. I am beat but one things for sure I'll cancel before I pay Sky £65 call out fee.

I wouldn't call it breaking up due to bad signal its like glitching caused by some sort of interference, almost like an F Plug wasn't wired correctly and part of the copper threading is touching the inner core of the shotgun cable but its not that either.

One thing I did notice is the LNB arm is quite wobbly, there is not option to tighten it as its riveted on.
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I would update this. Thisis the best signal I can get. I went up today with a meter and set it myself but still glitching occurs. I then swapped boxes, I put in an Openbox Satellite receiver, it happened on it as well. I then though right might be the F plugs, so I redid them, also moved them to different ports on the LNB and still this damn glitching occurs. I am beat but one things for sure I'll cancel before I pay Sky £65 call out fee.

I wouldn't call it breaking up due to bad signal its like glitching caused by some sort of interference, almost like an F Plug wasn't wired correctly and part of the copper threading is touching the inner core of the shotgun cable but its not that either.

One thing I did notice is the LNB arm is quite wobbly, there is not option to tighten it as its riveted on.

If copper was touching the centre you would have no signal at all. Is the dish pointing at a tree or bigger building. You might get a high reading but it could be higher if somewhere else on the building maybe. Google mobile phone mast locations and see if the dish on your house is pointing towards or on the same side as a transmitter or point to point mast.
    And itnterference would manifest the same on screen faults as picture breaking up from poor signal quality It wouldn't be different like you describe.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I wish I had signal quality readings as good as the ones on your screenshot!
    You certainly shouldn't be getting poor signal breakup with readings like that.
    Was the screenshot taken while one of the channels breaking up was tuned in?
    It does sound like interference from something that's causing it rather than lack of signal.
    Does it happen at any particular times of day?
    :)
  • Options
    davesulldavesull Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see any point cancelling because if it's signal problem freesat would be just the same. £65 isn't bad for a full check and replacement of any faulty parts (your dish with the wobbly LNB arm for example!) but if you wanted you could always try getting a private quote from a local installer first.

The point is why put up with it - you know there's something wrong and cancelling is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.