Robin Williams Has Died (Merged)

Comments

• BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad RIP Robin - loved you from Mork and Mindy and loved all your films. Loved Toys, Jack, so many others. the ending of Dead Poets Society is equal in my eyes as to the ending of Cinema Paradiso. Two most moving film endings I have ever seen :( You will be missed
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laddergoat wrote: »
    Robin Williams was one of, if not the, favourite actor of mine. I am totally guttered by this death. Jumanji, Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam. Too many great roles to mention.

And as someone who's experience depression first hand as my mother has it is totally gutting to see this vile illness has claimed another victim.

One that rarely does is 'The World According to Garp'. Which is odd because it's a real gem and the only John Irving book imo that was ever successfully adapted for screen, both cast-wise and tone. Robin brought 'Garp' brilliantly, quirkily and extremely touchingly to life.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad truth is two of the men he admired most died young. Lenny Bruce and Bill Hicks. Only Pryor lived to a fair old age. He also clearly was affected when George Carlin died. he did an interview where he said "I'm the last of the late and great comedians and I am not even that great compared to them. If they hadn't lived and inspired me, I wouldn't have a job and a livelihood."

The truth is comedians are some of the smartest but least satisified people around because they find humour in the horror of life, and profit from it because others find it humourous rather than equally horrific.

It is endemic of comics. Sad but true.

BIB is about right. I think Robbie Williams was a big friend of John Belushi,another drug/drink/depression casualty. Williams cleaned up his act after Belushi went but I am not surprised by the way he went,just the length of time. If you went through the 790s and 80s when he was breaking through,and remember his image then,this is no surprise.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Another clever, talented man dies before their time. Did not like all RW films etc but he was a peer, in being one of the greatest comedy/actor geniuses'. I was only watching Night At The Museum last night, can't believe it very sad, thoughts to his wife and family.
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people will just see him as a funny guy but in fact he was a absolutely fantastic actor .
    such a shame more cannot be done to help those with mental illness . often overlooked as something to just "get over"
    when in fact it can be as devastating as any terminal illness .
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news, I grew up watching Mork and Mindy. He made me laugh and cry. A brilliant man and a sad loss.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still in shock :(:(:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    How tiresome. See my earlier comments.

you made an ill-thought-out comment so deal with the flak or at least stop trying to defend it.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They`ve been playing the clip from one of his movies where he says direct to camera:

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

Chilling.

Seen that clip this morning. Very harrowing to watch. A plea for those needing help to get it and to think first.

I thought it was him saying that during an interview rather than from a film.

So tragic and many of his films were part of my childhood. Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, Flubber. Even from a few years ago, one his lesser known films RV: Runaway Vacation. What a talent Robin Williams was.
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fri, Aug 15 · 12:50-15:00 · Film4
    August Rush

A musical prodigy runs away from a children's home to track down his parents, who are unaware of their son's existence.

However, when he arrives at his destination, Evan is befriended by a mysterious stranger who may not have the youngster's best interests in mind.

Drama, starring Freddie Highmore, Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Terrence Howard and Robin Williams as Maxwell 'Wizard' Wallace

Mon, Aug 18 · 00:05-02:10 · Channel 4
    Good Morning, Vietnam

A fast-talking US Army disc jockey is sent to entertain the GIs in 1960s Saigon, but he enrages the military top brass by blasting the airwaves with his irreverent and controversial view of the conflict in South-East Asia.

Comic drama, starring Robin Williams as Airman Adrian Cronauer, with Forest Whitaker and Bruno Kirby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP to a Legend. I feel like we have lost someone we grew up with.

A touching tribute from Michelle Rodrigez on her FB page:

Michelle Rodriguez

12 hrs · Edited ·

Robin Williams' name etched throughout my mind made me cry, laugh and think you'll be missed. I hope it wasn't a hope lost situation cause if it was a part of me just died... Sometimes people symbolize more than what they think they are. Love you. R.I.P.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still shocked at this announcement :( the depression must of got to much for him to handle and he wanted out by committing sucide poor guy
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to be morbid, but what do they mean by asphyxia? Was it a garage, car, hosepipe job or just hanging?

No idea, but not really for us to know.

So sad. :(
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just heard Alexi Sayle on Radio 5 saying how Robin was a big influence in him, which I was a bit surprised by at first.

He inspired so many comedians, Eddie Izzard is one I heard about and conversely Robin enjoyed Eddie's humour and came to watch one of his shows in LA. I know what you mean about Alexi Sayle, he had a slower, and lower, almost droney delivery, where as Robin's pitch was high, fast and frenetic by comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's because I struggle with depression and drink problems myself, but the more and more I think about his death the more it's upsetting me.

Robin Williams brought so much joy to so many people, such a tragic loss. I hope his mind is at peace now. RIP Robin x
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked to hear.

RIP Robin Williams

Some of his best work for me were Mork &Mindy, The Fisher King and Good Morning Vietnam.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Shocked to hear.

RIP Robin Williams

Some of his best work for me were Mork &Mindy, The Fisher King and Good Morning Vietnam.

Mork And Mindy Episode 1 Pilot

Mork on Happy Days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Mork & Mindy: In Mork We Trust (#1.21)" (1979)

Orson: The report, Mork.

Mork: This week I discovered a terrible disease called loneliness.

Orson: Do many people on Earth suffer from this disease?

Mork: Oh yes sir, and how they suffer. One man I know suffers so much he has to take a medication called bourbon, even that doesn't help very much because then he can hear paint dry.

Orson: Does bed rest help?

Mork: No because I've heard that sleeping alone is part of the problem. You see, Orson, loneliness is a disease of the spirit. People who have it think that no one cares about them.

Orson: Do you have any idea why?

Mork: Yes sir you can count on me. You see, when children are young, they're told not to talk to strangers. When they go to school, they're told not to talk to the person next to them. Finally when they're very old, they're told not to talk to themselves, who's left?

Orson: Are you saying Earthlings make each other lonely?

Mork: No sir I'm saying just the opposite. They make themeslves lonely, they're so busy looking out for number one that there's not enough room for two.

Orson: It's too bad everybody down there can't get together and find a cure.

Mork: Here's the paradox sir because if they did get together, they wouldn't need one.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man goes to doctor and says he's depressed. Says like seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain.

Doctor says : "Treatment is simple - the great clown, Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up"

Man bursts into tears.

Says "But Doctor, I am Pagliacci!"

Alan Moore - Watchmen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such incredibly sad news RIP Robin
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They`ve been playing the clip from one of his movies where he says direct to camera:

"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem."

Chilling.
    Seeing this clip getting played on a loop on Sky News within a couple of hours of this dreadful news emerging last night I found it to be in very poor taste and judgement.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    Not sure if it's because I struggle with depression and drink problems myself, but the more and more I think about his death the more it's upsetting me.

Robin Williams brought so much joy to so many people, such a tragic loss. I hope his mind is at peace now. RIP Robin x

I've been through it too and I think what upsets me most is knowing how lonely and desperate a death it must have been for him, instead of being surrounded by family members and loved ones. Plus it's just so sad when we know that however bad our depression is, it does pass, even if not permanently. It's just so impossible to appreciate that when you're in the middle of a down spell.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marc Maron has uploaded the podcast he did with Robin from 2010 and discusses his depression and relapses into alcoholism. Worth a listen:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/remembering_robin_williams
  • dreamtoppingdreamtopping Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Such sad news R.I.P Robin.:(
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone predicted his death on Friday, started a thread on the IGN forums called, 'Are people bracing themselves for the fact that Robin Williams will die soon?, Won't link as its full of swearing, but you can just search the thread title to find it.

Freaky stuff.