BBC 2 Hotel India Wednesday

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Probably a much watch for those who enjoyed BBC's Inside Claridge's from a couple of years back, who's thread I can't find btw.

Hotel India

Documentary series going behind the scenes of India's oldest and most famous hotel, the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. The Taj is where the super-rich come to be treated like the maharajahs of India's past and where rooms can cost up to £9000 per night, all in a city where half of the population still lives below the poverty line. Over six months the film-makers follow the hotel's 1500 strong staff as they perform their duties with the mantra 'Guest is God' in mind.

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Bump my own thread, I'll be watching along with the BBC production staff :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be interesting. I have stopped in a some 5* hotels in India on business trips and you really do get treated like royalty. It can be a bit embarrassing at times.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title made me think of the phonetic language which prompted the old question:

What is "Hotel India Juliet Kilo Lima Mike November Oscar"?

Answer to come later if nobody gets it first...

K
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm watching too, it's a nice hotel, we've been shown some grand suites but I'd be interested to see what their cheapest rooms are like, personally I prefer to stay in much smaller hotels. Off topic, but is your name Peter McKay, I'm familiar with your nom de plume as I once worked I horse racing.
  • ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Any ideas who the 'special guest' might have been.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Expedia the cheapest room is £120 a night including breakfast which isn't bad considering what you get for that price in London.

Even the Tata suite doesn't sound too bad if £9000 a night gets you 15 rooms. All you need is to have a whip around with lots of friends and you could have a great party up there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what I think, what a cosmetic surgery nightmare!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly seems that the richer a person is the fussier they are, wether it's hermetically sealed nuts from Dubai, or the right glass with right drink.
    Forum Member
    I know what I think, what a cosmetic surgery nightmare!

Then again, she's 80 odd isn't she, not such a nightmare, when I heard her age.
    That said she's haunched over, like an OAP and the hands...

I rather like Mr Chaskar(sp) production team must have rubbed their hands in glee when they found him.
  • xxTinkerbellexxxxTinkerbellexx Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this programme. Old guy looks like he's had botox!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then again, she's 80 odd isn't she, not such a nightmare, when I heard her age.
    That said she's haunched over, like an OAP and the hands...

I rather like Mr Chaskar(sp) production team must have rubbed their hands in glee when they found him.

LOL.... scary Mary sprung to mind!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukbadge wrote: »
    Any ideas who the 'special guest' might have been.

I want to know too. Maybe Mr President?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ladies saris are all so beautiful, I'd love to wear one, they look elegant, stunning and comfortable to wear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Captain knows his nuts.
    Forum Member
    It certainly seems that the richer a person is the fussier they are, wether it's hermetically sealed nuts from Dubai, or the right glass with right drink.

Like the General Manager said, they're used to 5 star service.
    Plenty of people would complain in a pub if they got served wine in a straight glass or dirty glass, so it's not just the rich who are fussy.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The Captain knows his nuts.

I must admit I did have a Fnarr, Fnaarr moment with all that nuts related talk.
    The interviewer sounds English, so I wouldn't be surprised if all that focus on nuts wasn't intended to be taken on two levels.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    The title made me think of the phonetic language which prompted the old question:

What is "Hotel India Juliet Kilo Lima Mike November Oscar"?

Answer to come later if nobody gets it first...

K

Water
    H 2 O

K
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    As good as 'Inside Claridge's' from last year....a gem of a doc.

Characters a plenty {Mr Chaskar my favourite} plus the Hotel looks stunning after the attack just 5 years ago.

Great narration from Paul McGann too.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught up with this on iPlayer - great docu.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you work for the BBC?
    Forum Member
    Can't say this grabbed me like Inside Claridges, I thoroughly enjoyed that including the daft insect restaurant and Thomas the manager.
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A really interesting look at a 5* hotel. It was good to see some images of Mumbai's rich and poor. Such a polarised society.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching too, it's a nice hotel, we've been shown some grand suites but I'd be interested to see what their cheapest rooms are like, personally I prefer to stay in much smaller hotels. Off topic, but is your name Peter McKay, I'm familiar with your nom de plume as I once worked I horse racing.

Their "ordinary" rooms are also very nice. I have stayed in the old building and the newer one at the side of it.. There were red roses in the room that had had all the thorns taken from them, hand made chocolates and fruit.
    Taj hotels are always well run wherever they are.
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Do you work for the BBC?

No, but no bugger replied, so I made a tongue in cheek comment.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I would not stay in that hotel >:( No mattress protectors :o:D

Joking aside... WOW!! The hotel is stunning and if I had the money would be there like a shot.

The 83 year old oil baroness :o So much botox and her husbands dying so young. All of them :o