Mobile broadband question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
Forum Member
I currently have 3 mobile broadband USB modem and generally happy with it, although there a one or two areas where I go where the reception isn't as strong.

I have some pay and go O2 cards and was wondering if I can use these in a 3 mobile dongle? Is this possible?

Many thanks

Comments

• AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently have 3 mobile broadband USB modem and generally happy with it, although there a one or two areas where I go where the reception isn't as strong.

I have some pay and go O2 cards and was wondering if I can use these in a 3 mobile dongle? Is this possible?

Many thanks

The dongle is almost certainly locked to the network that provided it. Many (actually, all) that i've used have the software needed to connect built into them.
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the 3 dongle unlocked?

If yes, then yes but at O2 PAYG rates. And you will need to add the O2 APN and details to the connection software.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I have the same dongle, and got it unlocked by a free program listed in this HUKD thread:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/397125/free-3-mobile-broadband-dongle-payg/?page=32
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same dongle,

How do you know that? The OP has made no mention of the manufacturer or model.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I believe 3 only make 1 or maybe 2 models of their broadband modem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 don't make dongles, they buy them in from OEM's. They certainly have released more than two models.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Almost all the USB mobile broadband dongles sold in the UK are made by Huwei so you can unlock them using the appropriate software. Check out the software and instructions in the link alexsim2004 gave above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said above:

"How do you know that? The OP has made no mention of the manufacturer or model."