Options

Sports Commentators (non-football) (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    thelastwordthelastword Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Aakash Chopra is working for ITV for their IPL coverage this season.

He is an excellent writer; not so sure about his speaking though I have only heard him a few times.
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Aakash Chopra is working for ITV for their IPL coverage this season.

Presented by Shonali Nagrani, Matt Smith and Angus Scott, with analysis also from Mark Butcher, Dominic Cork and Mark Ramprakash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saturday 30 March on RTE Two

Leinster v Ulster- Daire O'Brien presents l. Analysis from Bernard Jackman, Mark McDermott and Shane Horgan, and commentary by Hugh Cahill and Ralph Keyes.

Sunday 31 March on RTE Two

Racing from Fairyhouse: The Easter Festival- Presented by Robert Hall, Ted Walsh, Tracy Piggott and Brian Gleeson with commentary from Tony O'Hehir
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    He is an excellent writer; not so sure about his speaking though I have only heard him a few times.

http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/cricketnext/380972/india-thrash-australia-40.html
    video contain aakash chopra as a pundit.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 24th March - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V

Ross Harries presented alongside Sean Holley, Kingsley Jones and Sam Warburton

RaboDirect Pro12
    Ospreys v Newport Gwent Dragons - Gareth Charles and Stuart Davies, with Phil Steele conducting post-match interviews
    Zebre v Scarlets - Phil Steele
    Treviso v Cardiff Blues - Gareth Charles and Tom Shanklin, with Gareth Rhys Owen conducting post-match interviews (as S4C)
    Leinster v Glasgow Warriors - Non Evans (reporting)

SWALEC Cup Quarter-Finals
    Swansea v Aberavon - Phil Steele

Interviews with Richard Hibbard and Michael Paterson - Ross Harries

With the Millennium Stadium staging the "Judgement Day" regional derby double header next Saturday, they'll be no Scrum V Live on Friday night. Instead BBC Two Wales will be showing the Dragons v Scarlets game that kicks off at 2.30pm on Saturday with S4C broadcasting the Blues v Ospreys fixture that follows it in their usual teatime timeslot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Instead BBC Two Wales will be showing the Dragons v Scarlets game that kicks off at 2.30pm on Saturday with S4C broadcasting the Blues v Ospreys fixture that follows it in their usual teatime timeslot.

For the BBC match it will be presented by Ross Harries with Martyn Williams and Sean Holley. Commentary from Gareth Charles and Jonathan Davies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a big bit of news as far as baseball broadcasting is concerned, announced just ahead of the beginning of the new Major League Baseball season this weekend:
    McCarver to step down after season

Baseball analyst Tim McCarver says he will step down from his position at Fox after this season.

McCarver said on a conference call Wednesday he had told the network he will not try to extend his contract, which expires at the end of the 2013 season.

The 71-year-old McCarver has worked 28 consecutive Major League Baseball postseasons on network television dating to 1984, providing analysis for a record 23 World Series.

In 21 big league seasons, McCarver hit .271 with 97 homers and 645 RBIs.

McCarver says ''it's time to cut back.''

Read more: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/tim-mccarver-to-step-down-after-season-032713

Joe Buck and Tim McCarver have been Fox's lead MLB commentary team for as long as I've been following the sport; as a tandem they have covered every World Series this century (plus the 1996 and 1998 editions with Bob Brenley). Prior to joining Fox Sports, McCarver was the colour commentator on four World Series for ABC and four more for CBS. He had a 21-year playing career as a catcher, much of which was spent at the St Louis Cardinals, and has also worked as a broadcaster on the local telecasts of the Phillies, Mets, Yankees and Giants plus NBC. I must say McCarver has never been a particular favourite of mine, but you can't deny he's enjoyed an exceptional career and it will be the end of an era for baseball fans in the USA.
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    We'll certainly notice it when McCarver's gone, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed listening to him.

Fox have some pretty poor-quality analysts on their roster, so I wouldn't expect McCarver's replacement to be much of an improvement, but you never know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've read about the speculation as to who will be Tim McCarver's successor on Fox next year, the early favourite seems to be Bob Brenly (who was the third man in the Fox booth with Buck and McCarver prior to taking the Arizona Diamondbacks to be World Series victors, and has worked as a colour commentator for the Cubs, D-backs and TBS since then) and John Smoltz of TBS. If they want to copy their UK cousins and bring in a recently-retired big name ex-pro who can talk, Chipper Jones is available, although Derek Jeter seemed to rule a broadcasting career out last month.

Going back to our messages from the other week about ESPN's commentators and coverage, with Spring Training coming to an end you might be interested to know that of the eight games they showed, the new ESPN Sunday Night Baseball team led by Dan Shulman commentated on three games, with lead Baseball Tonight anchor Karl Ravech commentating on three with one each for Jon Sciambi and Dave O'Brien. Rick Sutcliffe, Aaron Boone, Barry Larkin and Doug Glanville were used as their other colour commentators as well as Kruk and Hershiser.

Going by this link, the plan is to have "a rotating cast of analysts" on Wednesday Night Baseball. While in 2013 it was often Dave O'Brien and Nomar Garciaparra, on a few occasions they had a SNB/MNB style three man booth also including Mark Mulder. I imagine those two plus Larkin, Glanville, Manny Acta and a few of the other Baseball Tonight regulars will be in line to get a few WNB stints. If Jon Sciambi is doing to be doing a fair few games as lead announcer, then it would make sense for his ESPN Radio partner Chris Singleton (who is also a regular on Baseball Tonight during the week I believe) to cover a few Wednesday games either with or without him as well. As for lead commentator, I believe Sean McDonough was quite unwell recently so he should be working a reduced schedule this year. As well as Sciambi, Karl Ravech did a few commentaries last year as well as in Spring Training so it could be a rotation between the three of them, although Steve Levy is due to commentate on one of their four live games on Opening Day.

You have also discussed who would replace Steven Berthiaume, who has left ESPN to become the new lead announcer on Diamondbacks telecasts along with Bob Brenly, on Baseball Tonight on here previously - along with Ravech and Sciambi plus occasionally Chris Berman, it'll be Adnan Virk. He has previously been a presenter on The Score, Gol TV in Canada and the local telecasts of the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and Toronto Raptors (NBA).

In the opening week of the season, ESPN/ESPN2 have seven live games plus two more on ESPN Radio. I'll post the details beneath this post...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 31st March - ESPN

Opening Night Baseball on ESPN

Karl Ravech presenting Baseball Tonight with Alex Cora, Barry Larkin, Curt Schilling and Tim Kurkjian

Texas Rangers @ Houston Astros (8pm ET) - Dan Shulman, John Kruk and Orel Hershiser, with Buster Olney reporting

Monday 1st April - ESPN & ESPN2

Opening Day Baseball on ESPN

Boston Red Sox @ New York Yankees (1pm ET, ESPN) - Dave O'Brien, Rick Sutcliffe and Aaron Boone, with Tim Kurkjian reporting
    San Francisco Giants @ Los Angeles Dodgers (4pm ET, ESPN) - Dan Shulman, John Kruk and Orel Hershiser, with Buster Olney reporting
    Philadelphia Phillies @ Atlanta Braves (7pm ET, ESPN2) - Sean McDonough, Mark Mulder and Doug Glanville
    St. Louis Cardinals @ Arizona Diamondbacks (10pm ET, ESPN2) - Steve Levy and Nomar Garciaparra, with Pedro Gomez reporting*

Wednesday 3rd April - ESPN2

Wednesday Night Baseball on ESPN

Boston Red Sox @ New York Yankees (7pm ET) - Dave O'Brien, Rick Sutcliffe and Aaron Boone, with Tim Kurkjian reporting
    San Francisco Giants @ Los Angeles Dodgers (10pm ET) - Jon Sciambi and Nomar Garciaparra, with Pedro Gomez reporting

*I had read elsewhere that Jon Sciambi was originally down to commentate on the Opening Day late game rather than Steve Levy. Sciambi and Chris Singleton have since been pencilled in to commentate on the Rangers @ Astros game on Opening Night and the Giants @ Dodgers game on Opening Day for ESPN Radio.

I must credit the Fang Bites blog for alerting me to these details: http://fangsbites.com/2013/03/espn-all-over-mlb-opening-week/
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    From what I've read about the speculation as to who will be Tim McCarver's successor on Fox next year, the early favourite seems to be Bob Brenly (who was the third man in the Fox booth with Buck and McCarver prior to taking the Arizona Diamondbacks to be World Series victors, and has worked as a colour commentator for the Cubs, D-backs and TBS since then) and John Smoltz of TBS. If they want to copy their UK cousins and bring in a recently-retired big name ex-pro who can talk, Chipper Jones is available, although Derek Jeter seemed to rule a broadcasting career out last month.

Bob Brenly would be a really good choice, actually. I've enjoyed listening to him and Len Kasper on Chicago Cubs broadcasts, and I look forward to seeing how he works with Steve Berthiaume this year. John Smoltz is usually fine, although very openly anti-sabermetrics, which is unfortunate.
    You have also discussed who would replace Steven Berthiaume, who has left ESPN to become the new lead announcer on Diamondbacks telecasts along with Bob Brenly, on Baseball Tonight on here previously - along with Ravech and Sciambi plus occasionally Chris Berman, it'll be Adnan Virk. He has previously been a presenter on The Score, Gol TV in Canada and the local telecasts of the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and Toronto Raptors (NBA).

Interesting, thanks for that bit of information. I've never seen Adnan Virk before, so I look forward to seeing what he's like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 30th March - BBC Two Wales

Scrum V Live: Newport Gwent Dragons v Scarlets

Ross Harries presenting from the Millennium Stadium alongside Martyn Williams and Robert Jones, with Sean Holley in the analysis truck

Commentators: Gareth Charles and Jonathan Davies

Reporter: Phil Steele, joined by Ryan Jones for analysis

No Red Button commentary options today with Final Score taking priority on Channel 301 on Freeview at least. Usual RedZone commentator Rick O'Shea is working as a pitchside reporter at the Millennium Stadium on both of the "Judgement Day" games for BBC Radio Wales. Jonathan Davies was at pitchside with Ross, Martyn and Robert to do punditry during the half hour of build-up from 2pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 30th March - S4C

Y Clwb Rygbi: Cardiff Blues v Ospreys

Gareth Roberts presenting from the Millennium Stadium alongside Derwyn Jones, Shane Williams and Ken Owens

Commentators: Huw Llywelyn Davies and Gwyn Jones

Red Button commentators: Andy Moore and Tom Shanklin in English

Reporter: Dot Davies

Both BBC Two Wales and S4C have presented their coverage of "Judgement Day" from the touchline this afternoon. The Scrum V crew didn't retreat to a studio for half-time and full-time, so I don't imagine their Y Clwb Rygbi counterparts will either. The sight of man mountain Derwyn Jones towering over Shane Williams is too funny to be limited to the brief pre-match minutes. :D
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulster Rugby Live - BBC Two NI
    Presenter: Stephen Watson
    With: Bryn Cunningham & Tony McWhirter
    Commentators: Jim Neilly & Ryan Constable
    Reporter: Gavin Andrews

Pro 12 Live - RTE Two & RTE Two HD
    Presenter: Daire O'Brien
    With: Bernard Jackman & Shane Horgan
    Commentators: Hugh Cahill & Ralph Keyes
    Reporter: Clare McNamara
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    Ulster Rugby Live - BBC Two NI
    Presenter: Stephen Watson
    With: Bryn Cunningham & Tony McWhirter
    Commentators: Jim Neilly & Ryan Constable
    Reporter: Gavin Andrews

Fantastic to see this on the Freeview 301!

Felt for a while now that with their ever diminishing sports portfolio the BBC should really do more with the PRO12
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Fantastic to see this on the Freeview 301!

Felt for a while now that with their ever diminishing sports portfolio the BBC should really do more with the PRO12

Good to see BBC putting this on 301 so the rest of the country could see this fantasic rugby match. I was watching on BBC Two NI and what a match and what a victory for Ulster, first win against Leinster in Dublin since 1999.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With DQF, I think for more national exposure they should put a Rabo direct highlights show on BBC 2 on Monday Afternoons (like the Six Nations)... Maybe even 'slightly' tweaking (not drastically changing before I get lynched) Scrum V on Sundays so that it can be repeated/put out on the UK network... Scrum V do tend to show highlights of all the games (not just the Welsh matches).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrum V only tends to show highlights from the games involving the Welsh regions, although they do occasionally show tries or brief edits of top of the tables clashes. While I wouldn't be against a networked Pro12 highlights show, I think Scrum V is an excellent programme the way it is now with its combination of highlights from both the Pro12 and the club game in Wales, strong features and intelligent discussion and analysis. It's been the main rugby union show of its kind in Wales for a long while now - S4C doesn't have an equivalent show - and I don't think it should or will change from its current format. I don't see the benefit in it being more Pro12-centric than it already is.

Good to know that the Leinster v Ulster game was on the BBC Red Button tonight. I noticed that "Scrum V" was listed on channel 301 on Freeview this evening and thought they might have been replaying the Dragons v Scarlets match after Final Score. Clearly that was just a typo as it wouldn't have made a great deal of sense to have re-run that against S4C's coverage of the Blues v Ospreys match.

Rightly or wrongly, I think Scrum V will always take priority over Ulster Rugby Live or BBC Alba's coverage on the Red Button because of the audio options aspect of their coverage (specifically the Welsh language service) barring weeks like last week where the Ulster game wasn't on BBC Two Northern Ireland and thus needed to be on BBCi. But even though I am personally primarily interested in Welsh rugby, I wouldn't be against the odd deviation from this rule on Friday nights when one of the regions are against an Italian team while Ulster, Edinburgh or Glasgow are taking on one of the other British sides (ideally a Welsh region). That being said, I think for the last three Fridays of this league season BBCi should stick with Scrum V as the Pro12's biggest focus at the moment has to be the battle between the Ospreys and Scarlets to get the final play-off spot. I think few would argue with me on that.

Seeing as we have struck up a discussion about the Pro12, does anyone know how the television rights for the play-offs work? From having had a scan over the current and previous parts of this thread and from checking out Scrum V's BBC website listing, I notice that in Wales, S4C broadcast the 2010 and 2012 Magners League/Pro12 Grand Finals live, while BBC Two Wales broadcast the 2011 Grand Final. Over the first three seasons under the new format, the Ospreys have been the only Welsh region to make the semi-finals and have done so each year so far, with coverage of their semi-finals being the inverse of the three finals, with their 2010 and 2012 semi-finals going out live on BBC Two Wales while their semi-final in 2011 was on S4C.

Therefore going by that pattern, it stands to reason that in 2013 S4C will have first refusal on the semi-finals (and will likely show the one involving either the Ospreys or Scarlets) with the Grand Final being on BBC Two Wales. Would anyone be able to confirm that for me? Also, how do the rights work in the Pro12's other "home" territories? I presume BBC Two Northern Ireland and BBC Alba will show any games involving Ulster or the Scottish teams respectively, but would they show the Grand Final should their teams not make it? How are the games divided out between RTE Two and TG4 in the Republic of Ireland? And even though it is highly unlikely an Italian team will make the top four, would Sportitalia be able to show the three play-off matches?

I know Glasgow and Ulster have leapfrogged Leinster this weekend but were Leinster to clinch top spot it would probably work out quite well for the broadcasters, as I suspect we'd see Ulster and Glasgow facing off on a Friday night which is the norm for BBC Two NI and BBC Alba's coverage, while Leinster v Ospreys or Scarlets would be on in the Saturday evening S4C/RTE Two timeslot. Judging by the nights the Ospreys have played their semi-finals over the past three years, I guess TV has some say over the days in which the semi-finals are assigned to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as we have struck up a discussion about the Pro12, does anyone know how the television rights for the play-offs work? From having had a scan over the current and previous parts of this thread and from checking out Scrum V's BBC website listing, I notice that in Wales, S4C broadcast the 2010 and 2012 Magners League/Pro12 Grand Finals live, while BBC Two Wales broadcast the 2011 Grand Final. Over the first three seasons under the new format, the Ospreys have been the only Welsh region to make the semi-finals and have done so each year so far, with coverage of their semi-finals being the inverse of the three finals, with their 2010 and 2012 semi-finals going out live on BBC Two Wales while their semi-final in 2011 was on S4C.

Therefore going by that pattern, it stands to reason that in 2013 S4C will have first refusal on the semi-finals (and will likely show the one involving either the Ospreys or Scarlets) with the Grand Final being on BBC Two Wales. Would anyone be able to confirm that for me? Also, how do the rights work in the Pro12's other "home" territories? I presume BBC Two Northern Ireland and BBC Alba will show any games involving Ulster or the Scottish teams respectively, but would they show the Grand Final should their teams not make it? How are the games divided out between RTE Two and TG4 in the Republic of Ireland? And even though it is highly unlikely an Italian team will make the top four, would Sportitalia be able to show the three play-off matches?

I know Glasgow and Ulster have leapfrogged Leinster this weekend but were Leinster to clinch top spot it would probably work out quite well for the broadcasters, as I suspect we'd see Ulster and Glasgow facing off on a Friday night which is the norm for BBC Two NI and BBC Alba's coverage, while Leinster v Ospreys or Scarlets would be on in the Saturday evening S4C/RTE Two timeslot. Judging by the nights the Ospreys have played their semi-finals over the past three years, I guess TV has some say over the days in which the semi-finals are assigned to.

I assume your right about BBC Wales having the final in 2013, in 2011 the final was also shown on the Red Button and being near to the border pre switchover I had the option to watch BBC Wales on the Freeview or RTE and TG4 coverage on an analogue TV.

When the rights were announced it was stated in Northern Ireland anyway that BBC NI would show any playoffs involving Ulster and they showed their semi final against Leinster at the RDS in May 2011 which Ulster lost and then they didn't show the final which was Leinster v Munster and they showed nothing of the play offs last year as Ulster weren't involved.

BBC Alba would probably be in the same boat as they would show Glasgow or Edinburgh if they got to the semis and they definently showed Edinburgh in the semis last year and they did show the final between Leinster and Ospreys as it was on the i-player but I don't know if it was live, delayed or highlights.

On the Irish rights RTE generally show one semi final and TG4 show the other but I don't know who gets first pick as the last two years there has been at least two Irish provinces in the semis and TG4 has showed one and RTE covered the other. I assume TG4 get first pick in Semis one year then RTE cover the other and then it switches around the next year. On the final in the last 2 years both RTE and TG4 have shown the final live simultaneously but both finals have involved at least one Irish province but I assume they will stick with this as viewers in Ireland can watch in Irish or English.

The only thing I cannot help you on is the Italian Rights but I would assume they would show it if Italian sides are involved
  • Options
    rufusericrufuseric Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    I assume your right about BBC Wales having the final in 2013, in 2011 the final was also shown on the Red Button and being near to the border pre switchover I had the option to watch BBC Wales on the Freeview or RTE and TG4 coverage on an analogue TV.

When the rights were announced it was stated in Northern Ireland anyway that BBC NI would show any playoffs involving Ulster and they showed their semi final against Leinster at the RDS in May 2011 which Ulster lost and then they didn't show the final which was Leinster v Munster and they showed nothing of the play offs last year as Ulster weren't involved.

BBC Alba would probably be in the same boat as they would show Glasgow or Edinburgh if they got to the semis and they definently showed Edinburgh in the semis last year and they did show the final between Leinster and Ospreys as it was on the i-player but I don't know if it was live, delayed or highlights.

On the Irish rights RTE generally show one semi final and TG4 show the other but I don't know who gets first pick as the last two years there has been at least two Irish provinces in the semis and TG4 has showed one and RTE covered the other. I assume TG4 get first pick in Semis one year then RTE cover the other and then it switches around the next year. On the final in the last 2 years both RTE and TG4 have shown the final live simultaneously but both finals have involved at least one Irish province but I assume they will stick with this as viewers in Ireland can watch in Irish or English.

The only thing I cannot help you on is the Italian Rights but I would assume they would show it if Italian sides are involved

I think RTE has first pick of all matches but they don't always have the same flexibility as TG4 schedule wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information sporter92 and rufuseric.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    who are the commentators on eurosport for the snooker?

dont know which one it is but he keeps making annoying noises before he speaks, sounds like he is eating a sweet or something
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presenter: Clare Balding
    With: Katherine Grainger, Andrew Triggs-Hodge, Tom James, Peter Reed, Will Satch & Anna Watkins
    Commentators: Andrew Cotter, Dan Topolski & Wayne Pommen
    Reporter: Helen Skelton

The programme also featured a report on the Women's Boat Race with John Inverdale and Katherine Grainger which happened last weekend at Eton Dorney. Katherine Grainger was the main pundit and joined by other Olympic Rowers during the afternoon

Dan Snow also did two features on history of the boat race and of the River Thames in the build up. As usual Pommen was in a boat commentating on the race with Cotter and Topolski in the box.
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,569
    Forum Member
    British Eurosport's commentators were Simon Golding and Alex Partridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Friday 12 April on BBC2 Regions

Ulster v Newport-Gwent Dragons- Stephen Watson presents. Commentary by Jim Neilly and Ryan Constable.

Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors- Ross Harries presents. With commentary by Gareth Charles and Jonathan Davies, and analysis from Martyn Williams and Sean Holley.