Options

Holiday Cancelled/Travel Insurance

Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder if anyone has been in a scenario like this and can describe what they did:

I and my friend were meant to be going to NYC today, but she had an accident a couple of weeks ago and fell and broke her right arm, so we had to cancel (I'm a male in my 30s and she's an older, married work colleague in her 50s, so there's no way I'd have been able to help her with anything personal!). We went last year but that time we had another female colleague with us.

She's currently signed off sick for 3 weeks by the hospital doc and is due for review next Friday, so there's medical proof and everything in place.

My friend booked everything through the travel agent (flights and accommodation) and paid it all through her card, and I just gave her half the money. I do have my own Travel Insurance Policy in place, operational from yesterday (as we were meant to travel up to Heathrow last night) but to be honest I only thought I'd ever need one in the case of something happening to me (medical treatment/theft etc) whilst I was out there. So I'm really not sure now as to whether my friend claims for the whole holiday cost as she has paid it, or if I need to try and make a kind of claim for my 'half'. I've checked the policy details and the 'cancellation' section does say about injury of you OR your travelling companion, so it seems to cover the scenario. But all the correspondence and invoices etc are in her name; the only thing officially 'linking' me to the holiday is being named as a passenger on the booking confirmation from the travel agent.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and what you had to do. Yes I realise that to some this might make me seem a bit dim, and I'm not proud of the fact but can't pretend I have any clue as to how things like this work. Yes I know also that I could ring my insurer but being so inexperienced I'd be likely to get all tongue-tied and not understand or not put things across properly, hence I thought it might be useful to hear some experiences/knowledge from others first.

Comments

• Options
    queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing first - when did you take out the travel insurance (ie date)
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And does she also have insurance which covers you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both, I took the insurance out 11 November, accident happened 26th or thereabouts. My friend has her own insurance through her bank, so I doubt it covers me unless you mean perhaps the terms may cover other parties. She's got her claim form to send off so I can ask her to check that.
  • Options
    queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK as you had taken the policy out before the accident happened then I think you should claim on your policy. You will have to give full details which will include your travel companion's travel insurance company and the two insurance companies will liase to sort things out and ensure there are no double payments
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and what you had to do.

I dealt with an almost identical situation a couple of months ago on behalf of my stepfather,. He was due to go on holiday with a lifelong friend, who then broke her wrist a couple of weeks before the travel date.

His insurers issued a form for completion by his travelling companion's GP confirming that she was unfit to travel. In our case, the flights and accommodation had been booked separately, and I also needed to obtain a "no show" letter from Ryanair (at a cost of around £18) to confirm that the flights weren't taken.*

* Bizarrely, Ryanair don't seem willing to cancel bookings under any circumstances. Knowing their reputation, I didn't expect them to give a refund, but I certainly did expect them to accept a formal cancellation notification, as this would have enabled them to sell the seats for a second time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I digested your information and formulated a few questions/responses in my mind before phoning my insurer, and they basically said that I should make a separate claim and are sending me a form. Even if that was a pre-ordained outcome it felt much easier to do thanks to your feedback :)