Options

UK holiday resorts so shabby

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am staying in a uk hotel for a long weekend. The hotel is spotless so no complaints there but the state of some eating places and food shops is terrible. Public toilets are truly gross.:o

Yesterday we went to a cafe/bakery for a coffee and once we were seated and looked round we noticed the general shabbiness of the floor and shelves, staff with really grubby uniforms and people were waiting ages for tables to be cleared.
Today I had to use a public toilet and it was disgraceful. It was a council toilet and they are just not employing enough people to clean the floors and empty the bins. You just don't see this in any other places abroad. They employ ladies to keep the toilets spotless and wipe the floors every time a person leaves. Same with the bins on the sea front .... Extra people for the bank holiday means more rubbish so therefore they need the bins emptying more frequently. You can't blame the public because the bins are overflowing, so they put their litter on top or neatly at the side and then a gust of wind blows it all around.

We were in Northern Portugal last summer and the toilets were amazingly clean. Likewise shops selling food and cakes have glistening tiled floors, staff in immaculate uniforms and looking hygienic. The Balearics, The Canaries, Croatia, Malta ... We've found them all much cleaner than the UK.

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    So, that's one place you've just been. What about the rest.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

To be fair it's most of the main UK seaside tourist resorts, compared to Europe we are a slob nation and nothing to be proud off. Granted the nicer not so touristy spots are wonderful and the experience is completely different. In fact anywhere the Brits go en masse we tend to be the problem not other nations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

It's one place this weekend I will agree. I live just a few miles inland from several well known seaside resorts and I visit them regularly so include those in my observations.:)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It's one place this weekend I will agree. I live just a few miles inland from several well known seaside resorts and I visit them regularly so include those in my observations.:)

Go on tell us, where are you. The larger resorts can be horrible. The Brits do have a problem with an inability to either not throw rubbish around or the authorities thinking it never needs collecting. I won't get started on filthy public loos!
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try finding publique toilettes on ze continent mon cherie
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England is a s***hole compared to beautiful hot Mediterranean countries shocker
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what Butlins Bognor is like these days but in the 90s it was a dump. I should know as my parents punished my brother and i by taking us there 6 years on the trot.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a day out in Scarborough last summer and it was pleasant enough, not overly shabby or dirty. The public toilets on the seafront were clean and tidy. Same goes for Whitby last time we were there, it was all really nice. Filey too.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I don't know what Butlins Bognor is like these days but in the 90s it was a dump. I should know as my parents punished my brother and i by taking us there 6 years on the trot.

They put some hotels in Butlins Bognor and Minehead and they are quite nice from what I heard. Plus they have wi-fi now.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a day out in Scarborough last summer and it was pleasant enough, not overly shabby or dirty. The public toilets on the seafront were clean and tidy. Same goes for Whitby last time we were there, it was all really nice. Filey too.

I agree with you there :)
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been on a UK holiday in 20 years and I'm in no hurry to go on one anytime soon.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I am staying in a uk hotel for a long weekend. The hotel is spotless so no complaints there but the state of some eating places and food shops is terrible. Public toilets are truly gross.:o

Yesterday we went to a cafe/bakery for a coffee and once we were seated and looked round we noticed the general shabbiness of the floor and shelves, staff with really grubby uniforms and people were waiting ages for tables to be cleared.
    Today I had to use a public toilet and it was disgraceful. It was a council toilet and they are just not employing enough people to clean the floors and empty the bins. You just don't see this in any other places abroad. They employ ladies to keep the toilets spotless and wipe the floors every time a person leaves. Same with the bins on the sea front .... Extra people for the bank holiday means more rubbish so therefore they need the bins emptying more frequently. You can't blame the public because the bins are overflowing, so they put their litter on top or neatly at the side and then a gust of wind blows it all around.

We were in Northern Portugal last summer and the toilets were amazingly clean. Likewise shops selling food and cakes have glistening tiled floors, staff in immaculate uniforms and looking hygienic. The Balearics, The Canaries, Croatia, Malta ... We've found them all much cleaner than the UK.

Yes you do and you only have to pop over to France to see plenty of examples, especially those places that have cliff hanger toilets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you do and you only have to pop over to France to see plenty of examples, especially those places that have cliff hanger toilets.

I stand corrected then. I have never been to France and now have no desire to do so. ;-):D
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Done especially for when the Brits visit, it makes them feel at home :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many resorts are not as good as they used to be, the main two problems being cheap holidays abroad with generally guaranteed sunshine means less visitors so less income and also Business Rates which in the UK are the highest in Europe along with so many other costs these days. So the loss of income and the higher costs means less money to invest in upgrading , it about time the government stepped in and helped the industry to revitalise , maybe with a Business Rates break or something
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Many resorts are not as good as they used to be, the main two problems being cheap holidays abroad with generally guaranteed sunshine means less visitors so less income and also Business Rates which in the UK are the highest in Europe along with so many other costs these days. So the loss of income and the higher costs means less money to invest in upgrading , it about time the government stepped in and helped the industry to revitalise , maybe with a Business Rates break or something

In the last couple of years there has been a big push in getting people to holiday in this country and they came up with the tag Staycations. I just don't get why they don't start with the basic, cheapest stuff first like employing extra attendants/cleaners for public toilets and more people to go round emptying bins before they start overflowing.

When we were in Croatia the other year it was spotless. We noticed bins had a large bottom section for general litter, on top of that was a section for recycleable stuff like plastic bottles and cans, then there was a section for dog poo and a roll of plastic bags for dog poo and finally on top was a section for **** ends. They were emptied regularly and it was such a good design.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you?

A lot of resorts that were popular back in the day (Southend, Clacton, Margate) are now tired and run down but they have a certain charm - they must do as people still go?
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For these reasons, with the empty beds, many resorts have become dormitories for long term benefits claimants, with little disposable income, beyond the rents - which often go to people outside the town anyway - and therefore contribute little financially to the area.

Furthermore people with more disposable income are less inclined to visit places filled with such people.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I went to Firenze for a day trip and the lavatory there was a hole in the ground. Horrible!

Venezia was much more comfortable.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I've had mixed experiences across Europe and the UK. Italy Spain, for some reason, always seem to have plentiful and clean public loos, as well as clean and tidy restaurants and cafes, even in less wealthy areas. Where I live also seems reasonably good for the former. I don't think any of the restaurants where I live could be classed as 'scruffy'.

Infact, some of the worst public facilities I've encountered have been in Germany, a country long favoured for organisation and cleanliness. In France, it varies from region to region, with the Basque region being very good, and the north of the country, less so.

We do have a problem with rubbish here, I don't think you can entirely disconnect a 40% reduction in Council spending and the worsening public realm...but it's about culture as well. One of the reasons German and Swiss streets are so clean is because it is seen as socially unacceptable to drop litter (it's also socially unacceptable to be riproaring drunk there, which often exacerbates lots of our litter problems).
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the smaller UK resorts are still nice. Places like Sidmouth and Swanage, that are a bit old-fashioned, tend to be cleaner and better kept imo. And places like Whitstable and Southwold, that have got trendy among the twitterati, are usually clean and well maintained.

UK public toilets are frequently a disgrace though. I blame public spending cuts - councils regard them as a low priority, so won't pay for attendants to keep them clean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    England is a s***hole compared to beautiful hot Mediterranean countries shocker

Theres a lot more shittholes on the Med
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been on a UK holiday in 20 years and I'm in no hurry to go on one anytime soon.

The funny thing is it always seems to me that half of Europe decamps to the Scottish Highlands in summer. Almost every other car or motorbike you pass has a foreign plate. I can honestly say though beyond London there is nowhere in England I have an overwhelming desire to visit.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's some lovely UK resorts and some of the best coast in the world.

If you've chosen to go to one of the crappy ones, that's your problem, but don't tar our beautiful coast with your limited knowledge about it.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought parts of France were horribly dirty.

That said a few years ago I went to London for the day when staying in Oxford. I remember going to the toilets in Costa, McDonald's, BK and St James' Park.

The ones in SJP were the cleanest