Greggs - "Providing s**t to scum for over 70 years"

Comments

• roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Greggs, why not Kentucky (or any other fried chicken chain, any Pizza/Fast food parlour, McDonalds etc, they all sell rubbish for plebs.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    A lot of decent ordinary working people use Greggs, and some sad tool thinks they're "scum" ?

Lets face it though it really is just a pie shop with some factory made cakes and sandwiches. You do get a lot of chav types in there that eat there every lunch time, mostly chomping away of those very cheap heated up slices and sausage rolls that the staff have just brushed liquid over and put in the ovens.

It is a poor man's bakery selling very cheap, high fat, pre made goods to chavs.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once tried one of their Cornish Pasties and the filing looked and tasted like diarrhoea. It really put me off, a Cornish pasty isn't supposed to be filed with brown, shitty coloured slop!

Have to admit I'm rather intrigued as to how you know this.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago when I still lived in Wales I loved getting the half chocolate flapjacks from them.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    And ?

I am allowed my opinion and that is it , i would rather pay more and actually eat food that is of high quality and is not muck .

It wasn't your opinion on the quality of the food that you're being pulled up on but your down nose looking at who their customers are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love their mini yum yums!
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    It certainly hasn't been selling s**t for 70 years. My mum used to buy our bread from Gregg's in the late 60's, from the oritginal Gregg's in Gosforth high street. The bread was lovely,especially the stotties.
    And my family weren't /aren't scum either.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, it is a Northern success story, rather than microwavable "artisan products" made in Islington by someone called Antonio.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    If your one achievement in life is that you feel superior tot the people who who to Greggs, I guess this is the place to boast about it.

I agree alan. There is so much snobbery- it's everywhere you look. Greggs is cheaper than a lot of other bakeries but many of these snobs on here will happily buy their bakery products from supermarkets! These snobs should realise that some people can't afford top prices, and that it doesn't make them lesser people. If people behave badly then criticise that by all means, but not their financial or other circumstances; it's just plain nasty.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    There's a Greggs near me. It's sited next to a charity shop.
    It's in a very affluent area of the city.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan Smith should provide people's benefits money in Greggs vouchers.

Food for the underclass while supporting British Business.

Greggs could also start providing methadone counters so that the dole scum can get their drugs while they get their pasties

Nasty, horrible, offensive post. I hope you are proud of yourself, but somehow I think you are very proud.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    I used to love Greggs Chicken Pasties before they improved them to become Chicken Slices.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Nasty, horrible, offensive post. I hope you are proud of yourself, but somehow I think you are very proud.

I was being sarcastic but it clearly went over your head ^_^
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

There's a Gregg's close to where I work it's always busy with non-chav types
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fortunate go to pret a manger, do they?

I have even bought a ready made sandwich from a pound shop. Is that less fortunate than Greggs, do you think.

What about a burger from McDs?
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    There's a Gregg's close to where I work it's always busy with non-chav types

My one is on a road that's very popular with the local affluent types. It's very much lined with independent businesses, banks, boutiques, estate agents, solicitors, deli's, coffee shops, wine merchants (note wine merchants, not off licences) and a real traditional hardware store.

Thinking more about it, it's only the banks and Greggs that are 'national chains'. The rest are independents (ok the estate agents are probably owned by a national chain, but operated under local names).
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've just opened another branch here in Cheltenham. Good value bread and tasty.Sausage rolls are the best I've ever eaten they can't be beat.

Yep, rumour has it it's the Cheltenham Average baker, though I'm dubious about that myself ;-)
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fruit flapjacks and cheese and onion pasties. :D
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do people glance about, put their hoods up and dash in when they think nobody is looking? :D
  • SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What have people got against the Holberg suite?

There's a Greggs near where I work in the City, as popular a lunchtime outlet as any - there's a fair amount of money in that queue. The tuna crunch sandwich is quite nice and anywhere you can get a corned beef pastie can never be all bad.
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Do people glance about, put their hoods up and dash in when they think nobody is looking? :D

Since it's on a busy road, I think they'd be noticed, hopefully by the police station about 50 metres away.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greggs is no doubt the victim of their own success in that they're ubiquitous on most high streets and so the legend of toddlers in pushchairs shut up with the contents of Greggs bags began. I think "Greggs" is just shorthand for "large chain bakery".

The only time I give them money is occasionally in town my youngest likes their prawn sandwiches. But he prefers a Subway. I don't buy cakes as I'm too broke - I make them myself if I want them.
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Greggs is no doubt the victim of their own success in that they're ubiquitous on most high streets and so the legend of toddlers in pushchairs shut up with the contents of Greggs bags began. I think "Greggs" is just shorthand for "large chain bakery".

The only time I give them money is occasionally in town my youngest likes their prawn sandwiches. But he prefers a Subway. I don't buy cakes as I'm too broke - I make them myself if I want them.

I'd rank Subway below Greggs.
  • AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some great responses in this thread. :D
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    There are some great responses in this thread. :D

And then there are some responses that make me question why on earth people actually have such a great interest in other people's eating habits. Bizarre.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rank Subway below Greggs.

I can't be arsed to "rank" high street food outlets. That means I win, right?:D