The Fangirls backlash begins

Comments

• KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reads opening post. Thinks is there anything strange about young people who are beginning to explore sexualiity and have too many hormones to count caring about who is fanciable and focusing on looks? No siree.

Is there something slightly strange and unnerving about someone trowling twitter to find posts from such people and drawing huge generalisations from them? Yes siree
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its also possible for young people who are full of hormones to be able to differentiate between who is sexually attractive and who is talented and deserves a modicum of respect beyond 'Ewwwww dats like totes a props old man...gross!'. I know I was capable of it as were most of my friends.

Yes the sample of comments come from an idiot minority. Doesn't make them any less risible. This isn't One Direction. Its isn't the X Factor. It isn't Take That. Its Doctor Who. It tends to attract a more discerning type of viewer whether young or old. Alas due to its mass popularity with Tennants era it also picked up a few silly teenyboppers who might've watched the show but seemed to learn nothing from it. They are rightly derided.

As for some people trying to make out the OP is somehow suspect or creepy for posting the comments not only is that a scurrilous and lazy mode of attack it also doesn't make sense.

It isn't difficult to find such comments. I am subscribed to the official Doctor Who FB news feed. One click on any comments thread throws up plenty of this sort of thing. It doesn't take any work. Is that a fact? Yes. Yes siree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What personally annoys me about this is the fact that some people believe that teenage girls or fangirls if you wanna call them that (though lots of "fangirls" aren't even teenagers anymore) are the only group among Doctor Who fans who watch the show partly because they find some of the actors involved hot. Not all teenage girls or fangirls are vain and there are plenty of vain people among those who aren't teenage girls or fangirls.

Have I come across some of those Capaldi is too old bla bla bla comments? Yes, of course I have (though I'd dare to say that even on tumblr, a social network that is often considered to be home primarily to teenage girls/fangirls when it comes to DW to me it seems like it's a minority that is making these complaints). Do I find those comments stupid and annoying? Yes. But they are no worse than the David Tennant weasel comments or Matt Smith is too ugly and too young to be the Doctor from the time when they were cast before people actually saw them in the role. Did those come from teenage girls/fangirls as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    It would appear that inspector Drake has issues given that a quick twitter search shows that one of the quoted tweets was by a lad not a lady. So I wonder why the topic berates fan girls... Issues
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Twitter, it seems that the Smith and Tennant aren't giing Capaldi any mercy. Some of the highlights are:

On the bright side, at least the Tennant and Smith fangirls put aside their differences.;)

If I wanted to I could easily go on twitter and tell them what I really think of them but I just cant be assed.

If only Twitter was a actual place people met outside the net maybe then they wouldnt be so mouthy. Im sure diehard fans would give them a piece of their minds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    "If only Twitter was a actual place people met outside the net"

What there's an outside? ........;)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes the sample of comments come from an idiot minority. Doesn't make them any less risible. This isn't One Direction. Its isn't the X Factor. It isn't Take That. Its Doctor Who. It tends to attract a more discerning type of viewer whether young or old. Alas due to its mass popularity with Tennants era it also picked up a few silly teenyboppers who might've watched the show but seemed to learn nothing from it. They are rightly derided.

I love Doctor Who. It's my favourite programme. But, I wonder if some people take it a tad too seriously? It isn't a serious, world changing drama. It's a fun Saturday evening family show. Even One Direction fans are allowed to watch, and fall for the hero and/or companion if they want.

What's to be learnt from it? I've been watching for 50 years and haven't learnt anything much. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Why should someone be derided for just enjoying a show, whether they are grandmothers or teenyboppers?

The amount of snobbery and spite that is shown by some fans is amazing.

I wonder if it's at all possible for some people to take a long hard look at themselves, and ask themselves why they think they and people like them should be the only ones allowed to express an opinion?

And just why they think that people who enjoy DW for other reasons than themselves are not worthy to watch?

As for people tripping over rabid fangirls (no fanboys around?) whenever they log on - it is possible to ignore people's posts and comments, surely. They're not harming the show or the other fans.

If the OP wants to spend his time looking for and posting about some people's opinions about Capaldi, then he is perfectly entitled to do so. But is that really less risible than the fangirls comments? Forgive me if I don't think so.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Doctor Who. It's my favourite programme. But, I wonder if some people take it a tad too seriously? It isn't a serious, world changing drama. It's a fun Saturday evening family show. Even One Direction fans are allowed to watch, and fall for the hero and/or companion if they want.

What's to be learnt from it? I've been watching for 50 years and haven't learnt anything much. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Why should someone be derided for just enjoying a show, whether they are grandmothers or teenyboppers?

The amount of snobbery and spite that is shown by some fans is amazing.

I wonder if it's at all possible for some people to take a long hard look at themselves, and ask themselves why they think they and people like them should be the only ones allowed to express an opinion?

And just why they think that people who enjoy DW for other reasons than themselves are not worthy to watch?

As for people tripping over rabid fangirls (no fanboys around?) whenever they log on - it is possible to ignore people's posts and comments, surely. They're not harming the show or the other fans.

If the OP wants to spend his time looking for and posting about some people's opinions about Capaldi, then he is perfectly entitled to do so. But is that really less risible than the fangirls comments? Forgive me if I don't think so.

Most of what you say I agree with. HOWEVER, when the fan's opinion requires a need to personally INSULT the actor in question, then I think it's a step too far. Calling Matt/Peter/David ugly, or expressing inexplicable hatred of them or some other derogatory term in any respect is immature and unacceptable, as at the end of the day, they are people. And no one would like to be labelled as not worth anyone's time because their looks don't meet the person's standards. But unfortunately, it has happened.

Fortunately, the backlash against Capaldi is comparitively minor compared to the one against Matt! Heck, on a DW fan page, someone posted how she "hates" Capaldi, and "will never watch it again until he leaves", and she got shot down by about 10 others in his defence. ^^' Thanks to his roles like Malcolm Tucker, Capaldi has already a firm fanbase - something Matt didn't really have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of what you say I agree with. HOWEVER, when the fan's opinion requires a need to personally INSULT the actor in question, then I think it's a step too far. Calling Matt/Peter/David ugly, or expressing inexplicable hatred of them or some other derogatory term in any respect is immature and unacceptable, as at the end of the day, they are people. And no one would like to be labelled as not worth anyone's time because their looks don't meet the person's standards. But unfortunately, it has happened.

Fortunately, the backlash against Capaldi is comparitively minor compared to the one against Matt! Heck, on a DW fan page, someone posted how she "hates" Capaldi, and "will never watch it again until he leaves", and she got shot down by about 10 others in his defence. ^^' Thanks to his roles like Malcolm Tucker, Capaldi has already a firm fanbase - something Matt didn't really have.

But people do "hate" actors because of their looks or mannerisms. Part of the job, I suspect. Not very pleasant for them, I agree.

If the poster you cite hates Capaldi and won't watch again until he leaves, so what? Why should anyone feel they should shoot her down? It's her loss, her decision.

When I thought the next Doctor was going to be Chris O'Dowd I seriously wondered if I could carry on watching! I've stopped watching several programmes because of actors I can't stand (I won't give you a list at present. :D).

Are you suggesting that stopping watching DW should be forbidden, for whatever reason?

Honestly, lighten up! It's not a religion - God help us if it were, with some of the attitudes on here. (No pun intended ;))
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its also possible for young people who are full of hormones to be able to differentiate between who is sexually attractive and who is talented and deserves a modicum of respect beyond 'Ewwwww dats like totes a props old man...gross!'. I know I was capable of it as were most of my friends.

As for some people trying to make out the OP is somehow suspect or creepy for posting the comments not only is that a scurrilous and lazy mode of attack it also doesn't make sense.

It isn't difficult to find such comments. I am subscribed to the official Doctor Who FB news feed. One click on any comments thread throws up plenty of this sort of thing. It doesn't take any work. Is that a fact? Yes. Yes siree.

"a more discerning type of viewer".

You do realise it's Dr Who we're talking about here, you know, the family show about a time lord who can travel through time and space in a box that's bigger on the inside than the outside, it's not some highbrow Shakespearean drama.

Some people really do have an overly inflated opinion of the show and their own intellect.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »

You do realise it's Dr Who we're talking about here, you know, the family show about a time lord who can travel through time and space in a box that's bigger on the inside than the outside, it's not some highbrow Shakespearean drama.

Some people really do have an overly inflated opinion of the show and their own intellect.....

My point in a nutshell. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »

Edit- not interested in arguing the same old point with the same old forum members with a nice line in passive aggressive insults.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief.

And decision makers often tailor programmes to fit those sorts of mentalities. I really MUST be getting old but when I was growing up role models on TV tended to be older, and were almost seen as parenting substitutes. Blue Peter presenters weren't just out of their teens, The Doctor was (usually) played by someone old enough to be my dad and most of the 'heroes' we had to look up to were adults not barely articulate teens or 'pretty boys/girls' about whom we could fantasise being with.

Where and when did things get so messed up? :D:D

To a 13 year old in 2005 Tennant would be old enough to be their dad, he was 34.

I
    've seen enough fan lads dressing up as Tennant. Spiking their hair up wearing long brown coats and white pumps.

I'm with attackmusic. So this is why I hate the current fashion that young trendsters are wearing nowadays? I did ask someone as a joke once whether they fancied Clive Owen or Harry Potter more, and wasn't expecting anyone to say Harry Potter. Geekiness just ain't sexy
    The Doctor has never been good looking, Tennant was close, but wouldn't say perfect.

Um Tennant better looking than Paul McGann, Peter Davison and Christopher Eccleston? If that's the case then I'm better looking than Britney Spears, Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz. When will people realise that Tennant has never been a super model? If it weren't for the character of number 10, you wouldn't look at him twice if you saw him walking down the street.
    People do want a charming, good-looker as the Doctor but lets be honest, it's a show for geeks and so a geeky Doctor is one the audience is able to relate with.

That explains why people find the Harry Potter look attractive *shudders*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    The way the whole Doctor/Rose relationship panned out was so creepy to me. It made the Doctor look like he was grooming Rose, especially as he regenerated into a person designed to appeal to her even more. RTD has often written awkward and uncomfortable relationships into his work, Bob And Rose featuring perhaps his most silly. I preferred it when RTD didn't have any romantic relationships in his Doctor Who stories as I just found them clumsy. Something like Midnight excelled because he gave us a great story without a poor romance at the heart of it.

Rose fell in love with 10 because of his personality, not because of his looks. What attracts us first to a person is their looks (nine is classically handsome) followed by their personality (ten has got over the effects of the TimeWar and is more open & bubbly). Matt Smith and Christopher Eccleston both have chiselled jawlines and defined cheekbones which Tennant lacks, but what 10 lacks in nine's looks, he certainly makes up for in personality. When he regenerate's into 10 the first he asks Rose is would you like me to change back, and unsurprisingly Rose says yes.

BTW Rose was aged 19 in season 1, she's over the age of consent, so there's nothing dirty going on. Plus Tennant is only 7 years younger than Eccleston.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Guys go onto GallifreyBase, the LINDA section and the thread marked Twelve's Team.

Peter is as lusted/loved there as David and Matt are.

There are plenty of people who find him attractive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    To a 13 year old in 2005 Tennant would be old enough to be their dad, he was 34.

I

I'm with attackmusic. So this is why I hate the current fashion that young trendsters are wearing nowadays? I did ask someone as a joke once whether they fancied Clive Owen or Harry Potter more, and wasn't expecting anyone to say Harry Potter. Geekiness just ain't sexy

Um Tennant better looking than Paul McGann, Peter Davison and Christopher Eccleston? If that's the case then I'm better looking than Britney Spears, Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz. When will people realise that Tennant has never been a super model? If it weren't for the character of number 10, you wouldn't look at him twice if you saw him walking down the street.

That explains why people find the Harry Potter look attractive *shudders*

Does it really seem so shocking to you that what people consider attractive differs from individual to individual and that some of us actually do find the geek look attractive? And yes to me personally David Tennant is a zillion times more attractive than for example Eccleston whom I personally don't find attractive at all, far from it tbh. (even though he's a great actor and I enjoy his acting).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but there's a difference between objective (general consensus) and subjective (personal opinion). Objectively Christopher Eccleston is far more handsome than David Tennant or even Matt Smith. He's got a symmetrical face, brilliant bone structure, striking blue/green eyes and broad/well proportioned mouth. I know he looks a little emaciated at times which may explain why some people don't find him as attractive, it's unfortunate because his face looks gaunt and it makes him look older than he actually is. He's already skinny, so I don't know why he sees fit to starve himself. Anyway, besides from that he is what you'd call classically handsome. Objectively Angelina Jolie is far more beautiful than myself. However, I did meet a guy once who said that he doesn't find her attractive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but there's a difference between objective (general consensus) and subjective (personal opinion). Objectively Christopher Eccleston is far more handsome than David Tennant or even Matt Smith. He's got a symmetrical face, brilliant bone structure, striking blue/green eyes and broad/well proportioned mouth. I know he looks a little emaciated at times which may explain why some people don't find him as attractive, it's unfortunate because his face looks gaunt and it makes him look older than he actually is. He's already skinny, so I don't know why he sees fit to starve himself. Anyway, besides from that he is what you'd call classically handsome. Objectively Angelina Jolie is far more beautiful than myself. However, I did meet a guy once who said that he doesn't find her attractive.

How can you say that's objective? Eccleston's got huge, misshapen ears and a huge, misshapen nose, a strangely shaped head, and tiny eyes.

He's not in the least handsome.

Sorry, Chris, and Chris fans; no offence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you say that's objective? Eccleston's got huge, misshapen ears and a huge, misshapen nose, a strangely shaped head, and tiny eyes.

He's not in the least handsome.

Sorry, Chris, and Chris fans; no offence.

No offence she says being quite offensive.

Some people...not me I would add...think Tennant is a greasy, pipe cleaner thin wimpy little weasel. Its all down to personal opinion.

Personally I find Ecclestones strong and well defined statuesque features to be far more striking and attractive than Tennant. But yet you consider them misshapen. Each to their own. Yet your post screams judgemental and yes. A little bit unpleasant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence she says being quite offensive.

Some people...not me I would add...think Tennant is a greasy, pipe cleaner thin wimpy little weasel. Its all down to personal opinion.

Personally I find Ecclestones strong and well defined statuesque features to be far more striking and attractive than Tennant. But yet you consider them misshapen. Each to their own. Yet your post screams judgemental and yes. A little bit unpleasant. One can only assume you yourself are quite the watercolour in comparison.

I agree with you - it's all subjective; that's the point I was making in reply to the poster who said that Eccleston's is "objectively" handsome. He is not.

On a side note, I wish people would actually learn to read other people's posts and the posts they are quoting before jumping in with their feet in their mouths to reply. And not take everything so bloody seriously! Posting on here now is such hard work - no wonder nearly everyone's given up!

I look like Arwen Evenstar. Everyone on here knows that.:confused: Or perhaps they don't. :(
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Objective truth is not decided by general consensus, otherwise it would change when the consensus changed. Objective truth is what is factually, provably true. Whether one man is taller than other is objective fact. There is no objective standard for measuring how handsome a man is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you - it's all subjective; that's the point I was making in reply to the poster who said that Eccleston's is "objectively" handsome. He is not.

On a side note, I wish people would actually learn to read other people's posts and the posts they are quoting before jumping in with their feet in their mouths to reply. And not take everything so bloody seriously! Posting on here now is such hard work - no wonder nearly everyone's given up!

I look like Arwen Evenstar. Everyone on here knows that.:confused: Or perhaps they don't. :(

well yes. Agrees. It does get a bit serious and over sensitive on here at times. But lets be honest. If you're on a dedicated doctor who forum its safe to say most people don't treat it as 'just another TV show'.

And i resented the implication that was made by someone and tacitly supported by you that I had some inflated sense of my own intelligence just because I dared suggest that one would expect fans of the show to be a bit more savvy than to indulge in lazy bashing of an actor because 'omg he isn't hot enough' etc. I stand by that. I accept its a show that anyone will watch but when it comes to so called fandom I would expect better than that in the same way i would if someone was making homophobic comments..which some do. When I read such comments I think the people making them just don't quite get it.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose fell in love with 10 because of his personality, not because of his looks. What attracts us first to a person is their looks (nine is classically handsome) followed by their personality (ten has got over the effects of the TimeWar and is more open & bubbly). Matt Smith and Christopher Eccleston both have chiselled jawlines and defined cheekbones which Tennant lacks, but what 10 lacks in nine's looks, he certainly makes up for in personality. When he regenerate's into 10 the first he asks Rose is would you like me to change back, and unsurprisingly Rose says yes.

BTW Rose was aged 19 in season 1, she's over the age of consent, so there's nothing dirty going on. Plus Tennant is only 7 years younger than Eccleston.

Wouldn't 19 be like a baby to a 900+ Time Lord? Just putting it out there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What has looks got to do with a show?
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he would find allmost every one young compared to him. Exceptions being the face of boe and Rory Williams. I find the fact he married his best freinds emotionaly damaged and vunerable daughter in S6 slightly pervy. Amy was stunned when she realised she was sort of the doctors "mother in law" :eek:. Except for the facts she didn't actually get to raise her daughter or see much of her after the wedding. Moffat did seem to have some weird ideas of "marriage" and "family" with Amy,Rory, River/Melody and 11. :confused: