Options

Hannibal - Season 2 (UK Pace) *No Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    This is a brilliant show, really enjoying it. I've heard it's supposed to run for 7 seasons. Really hope it, along with Bates Motel get the long runs they deserve.

Yeah they plan on bringing clarice starling into it.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving this SO much I'm a bit worried - I mean it's pretty much the goriest thing I've ever seen - although I have caught bits and pieces of some of the later Saw films.

Anyway it's so classy isn't it? Everything is superb. Every actor is superb. Hugh is wonderful, Mads is sensational. Lawrence is fabulous.

I have to really concentrate though, it can be taxing on the old brain.

:D
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what is going on?

Chiltern was in Red Dragon but he was shot and killed last night.:confused: Does this mean they are not sticking with the books but doing their own thing?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    So what is going on?

Chiltern was in Red Dragon but he was shot and killed last night.:confused: Does this mean they are not sticking with the books but doing their own thing?

I think the main story arc will follow the books but have given themselves the licence to alter less important details. I like that, because it makes it more suspenseful - if you've seen the films or read the books, it doesn't mean you know what is going to happen.

As FondantFancy says, you have to concentrate - but that is one of the things I like so much about the show - it's rare you actually get intelligent TV to really get in to these days.

I know the makers are planning a long run, but is there any word on whether it is being renewed? It would be a travesty if it were to be cancelled.
  • Options
    rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    The show has been renewed for a third season in the US but the season finale could have very well doubled as a series finale. It was very satisfying.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chilton is not confirmed dead though. I believe he may be back in season 3. He became a fan favourite and many were upset of his demise, me included.
    Great character played by a fab actor, Raul Esparza has been awesome in the role.

Its so frustrating that Jack didn't listen to Chilton the week before about Hannibal. Jack is the worst FBI agent ever!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this the same billionaire character from the movie who had his face eaten off by Hannibal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same character, Mason Verger
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Same character, Mason Verger

Thought so. The pigs were a giveaway. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must insist on selecting my own pig. Always do. :D
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit late to the party. I watched this recently 1 and 2 back to back, very entertaining. Some of the deaths were so imaginative to kudos to the writers. Mads Mikkelsen in that plastic suit and his acting as Hannibal were perfectly cast. He was a frightening TV monster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I find it a bit unbelievable (and sad) how Will has suddenly turned evil. Where are the viewers' sympathies supposed to go now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annabee wrote: »
    I find it a bit unbelievable (and sad) how Will has suddenly turned evil. Where are the viewers' sympathies supposed to go now?

Pretty sure most people realise it's all part of his plan to bring Hannibal down. And even as a plan, I'm not sure why you think it's sudden, it's been building all season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Right so did he actually kill Freddie Lownds (the journalist) or not then? And was that a bit of her body he was cooking up with Hannibal or not? When he said it was 'long pig'? Can someone explain to me because I am confused?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right so did he actually kill Freddie Lownds (the journalist) or not then? And was that a bit of her body he was cooking up with Hannibal or not? When he said it was 'long pig'? Can someone explain to me because I am confused?

Well we don't know yet do we? But there are no quick answers on this programme. We'll just have wait and see how it plays out...
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure most people realise it's all part of his plan to bring Hannibal down. And even as a plan, I'm not sure why you think it's sudden, it's been building all season.
    I'm not sure it is. Another theme is how he is able to reconstruct crime scenes because he thinks like a serial killer, and part of why doing so is stressful is that the more he does it, the closer he becomes to being one. The start of this episode was his doing for real exactly what he was in jail for allegedly doing: reconstructing a scene for a crime that he had committed and staged. Admittedly he killed in self-defence. I suspect Hannibal sent that guy, not to kill Will, but so that Will would take another step on his journey towards being a killer. In other words, not Will's plan, but Hannibal's.
    The show gave us no reason to believe he didn't kill and cook her, but like you I'm finding it hard. I really hope it turns out to be another of his vivid visualisations. I hope it was him seeing where he was going, what Hannibal was doing to him, and owning it, with a view to stopping it.

If he did kill Freddie, then (a) that's a deviation from the books/films that bothers me more than the death of Dr Chiltern; (b) for me it may be a step too far for Will. Freddie's a journalist but he shouldn't be killing and eating her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is. Another theme is how he is able to reconstruct crime scenes because he thinks like a serial killer, and part of why doing so is stressful is that the more he does it, the closer he becomes to being one. The start of this episode was his doing for real exactly what he was in jail for allegedly doing: reconstructing a scene for a crime that he had committed and staged. Admittedly he killed in self-defence. I suspect Hannibal sent that guy, not to kill Will, but so that Will would take another step on his journey towards being a killer. In other words, not Will's plan, but Hannibal's.

Will knew Hannibal would test him, how exactly he didn't know, but knew that he'd be tested in some way in order for Hannibal to start feeling that Will is becoming a killer. In any case, with only two episodes to go, and the face off between Hannibal and Jack we saw at the start of the season getting ever closer, I suspect we will soon find out if Will has turned to the dark side, or if it's all part of his design...
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will knew Hannibal would test him, how exactly he didn't know, but knew that he'd be tested in some way in order for Hannibal to start feeling that Will is becoming a killer.
    He also knows he can't fake it. Hannibal is good at detecting lies. Will talked in an early episode about fishing, about how once the fish is alerted, the lure has to be irresistible. So that's what he's doing, and to be irresistible he has to be genuine, so it's a fine line as to whether he loses himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Will and Jack are in on it together, and it appears Will managed to convince Freddie to join them. A bit of a risk letting Alana in though. I don't think she'd willingly betray Jack and Will, but she has appeared to be slightly less in control of her emotions, which could give the game away.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    In my opinion. Season 2 so far has been better than Season 1. The acting has been superb(Dancy in particular) and the plot still manages to keep me guessing.

Given the Jack/Hannibal fight is coming in episode 13, i'm curious to see how episode 12 gets us to that point.
  • Options
    storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief! Episode 12 is possibly the craziest episode of Hannibal yet. Love this season even more than season 1. Cannot wait for the finale next week!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feeding bits of his face to the dog. :D:D
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some extreme stuff in that episode.

Overall, this is several notches better than the vast majority of TV dramas.
  • Options
    storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having half your body ripped off by pigs or cutting off your own face and feeding it to dogs. Not sure which sounds less appealing...