The Royle Family - Christmas Day - 21:00 BBC1

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    A hour long promotion for the one show? :D

One.............one.................one.......................

FFS!!!!
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the name of that show on BBC1 at 7pm? :D
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun_Beam wrote: »
    What's the name of that show on BBC1 at 7pm? :D

The One Show. We all big fans here.

One........One.....ONE!!! :D
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ you lot are a bunch of old farts. Lighten up a little.

I thought it was really good. Better than last years.

Top stuff.
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Jason100
    The One Show. We all big fans here! :D

One........One.....ONE!!!

Ahh, that's it - I momentarily forgot! :D
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the Royle family should be set in the Royle House only as per the original series. Tonights show was fairly good, a couple of bits were a bit rubbish but on the whole I enjoyed this and laughed a lot more than last years special.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are "poof" jokes still considered funny and acceptable? There's been about three or four mentions of the word "poof" and two different "poof joke" times.

Does it make anyone else frown a little?

I think this show and Victoria Wood last night show that comedy really has moved on in just a few short years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww I used to really like The Royle Family and was a fan of Caroline Aherne and other comedy she did - but this and last years christmas specials are just bad!
    I know they were always a bit lazy and not the sharpest tools in the box, but now they are just really gross and talk like idiots.
    I think someone said earlier it's like all the warmth and affection for the characters has gone and now it's just making fun of them and making them as exaggerated ad disgusting as possible!

A real shame, used to be good...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member

Top stuff.

Not prepared to sit through Gavin and Stacey, just got Mad Men series 2 on. Good times all round :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Top stuff.

Agree!
  • Dub1Dub1 Posts: 5,959
    Forum Member
    That was really hilarious.Funniest thing on tv over Christmas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robokitten wrote: »
    Aww I used to really like The Royle Family and was a fan of Caroline Aherne and other comedy she did - but this and last years christmas specials are just bad!
    I know they were always a bit lazy and not the sharpest tools in the box, but now they are just really gross and talk like idiots.
    I think someone said earlier it's like all the warmth and affection for the characters has gone and now it's just making fun of them and making them as exaggerated ad disgusting as possible!

A real shame, used to be good...

Since when has Jim Royle been nothing but disgusting???
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are "poof" jokes still considered funny and acceptable? There's been about three or four mentions of the word "poof" and two different "poof joke" times.

Does it make anyone else frown a little?

I think this show and Victoria Wood last night show that comedy really has moved on in just a few short years.

Erm no...because they are clearly meant as jokes.

Please dont make a big thing about this. It was clearly in jest.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub1 wrote: »
    That was really hilarious.Funniest thing on tv over Christmas.

Can't remember anything hilarious. just bickering about an egg cup and eggy bread. and promoting the one show. Dave flirting with the sat nav woman was about as funny as it got.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Just as bad as last year's I'm afraid.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    I know the characters have always been abit stupid, but the whole sat-nav thing took it to a new level.
  • Dub1Dub1 Posts: 5,959
    Forum Member
    They can't be trying to pass them off as 66+ :eek:

Ricky Tomlinson is seventy.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm no...because they are clearly meant as jokes.

Please dont make a big thing about this. It was clearly in jest.

I know it was in jest, it's not escaped my attention that it's a comedy show.

I just don't think it's particularly right to use that sort of thing on TV any more. Once is funny but when it's "poof" this and "bummer" that, every few seconds on the space of a three minute segment, you wonder if they really did mean to be "ironic" or whether they were just so desperate for filler that they just put in a couple of sure fire "poof" jokes.

I want to believe it's the first but I suspect it's the latter.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get though is 50 years???

How old are these two supposed to be. Their kids are in their 30s.

Ricky Tomlinson - 70
    Sue Johston - 66

So it is possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Since when has Jim Royle been nothing but disgusting???

No I know, that's true - although him being disgusting used to be broadcasting to everyone that he was going for a shit, now we get to actually see his skiddy pants! :D

I dunno I really wanted to like that because I was a big fan - maybe it's just me :)
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some scenes dragged on and on towards the end as if they only wrote 45 minutes and had to fill. The argument about the golden egg cup and the scene in bed went on too long

There was some funny lines however, it was better than last years but not as good as the other episodes
  • richy23richy23 Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Loved it tonight! :D Funniest thing on over Christmas! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Just watched the Royle Family Christmas Special. What a load of rubbish. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a big fan of the show but last years xmas special started a trend towards lazy scriptwriting, but this years was worse. Lazy lazy script, telegraphed gags and the kind of jokes I'd expect to see inside a poundland christmas cracker.

Even the production values were poor. They were supposed to be sleeping at either end of the same caravan but Barb & Denise could not hear the shouting and laughing from the guys not four metres away from them? And on a dual carriageway with no exits and two lanes, the were told to keep left, then keep right then go straight? Was this poor production or just an incredibly lame joke?

Time to put the Royle Family out to pasture.
  • glitta17glitta17 Posts: 2,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought its were funny but i think if they do another it should be in the house at christmas, i'd like to see one more set in the house to see if it ever gets as good as it was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I know it was in jest, it's not escaped my attention that it's a comedy show.

I just don't think it's particularly right to use that sort of thing on TV any more. Once is funny but when it's "poof" this and "bummer" that, every few seconds on the space of a three minute segment, you wonder if they really did mean to be "ironic" or whether they were just so desperate for filler that they just put in a couple of sure fire "poof" jokes.

I want to believe it's the first but I suspect it's the latter.

Rightly or wrongly people still use such terms on a regular basis in "real life".

Be it in jest or representative of a certain section of society, I bet there were countless meeting at The Beeb before it was given the green light!!!!