The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    kfb wrote: »
    Just seen this long post about The Dark Knight Rises. Not sure if the JJAT mind the thread being taken up with this discussion.

Superheroes having flaws or being tragic figures:
    Isn't this what draws people to them? Not that they are superheroes but that they do have flaws or have great tragedies in their lives to overcome? Personally I've preferred the more modern approach to representation of Superman, Batman and all the rest rather than the super duper films of the mid 1900s which were full of fun.

I also read the comics as a child. I can't remember whether they went into the deeper darker side but for me the current Batman series has been the only one of that ilk that I've really felt were good films in their own right. Actually, I think the first one was the best. Suddenly Batman turned from being a kind of 'comic' hero (in both senses) to being a 'tragic' hero having to overcome so much, including his own dark character. This part of the trilogy was too full of wondrous special effects for my liking. But I loved the ending!

Christian Bale definitely my number one to play Christian Grey - I think he could make the film into a really good exploration of character rather than a Mills and Boone with kinky sex.

As for all your comments about other actors, I totally agree. And Cillian Murphy - I didn't even spot him! :eek: Except that it's the actor's choice to do these films. Presumably for the money which may then enable them to do more independent films.
    I enjoyed Anne Hathaway in that role. Bet she did too! Very different from what she usually does.

why not chat about it on here....it adds to the random nature of the place !!!1

Strangely enough I did prefer the last Batman film....but then it did have Heath Ledger in it...and i found his baddy more compelling and believable as well.....and the story seemed to hold together better...

I saw Christian Bale in the 'Machinist' last week....which was a very dark film...and he looked so so ill.....maybe im confusing the roles...

As for playing Christian Grey, im still wondering if they will let him have red hair? .... Christian Bale could play that role maybe...he definitely seems to have some pretty dark demons himself.....
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good afternoon :)

Interesting discussion about superheroes :D Over-analysing, just a tad, what is essentially a cartoon character :D but it is interesting.

Augusta - re. the UK actors, trust me, people in Hollywood know exactly who they are and what they have done lol. I would imagine, especially at this time when work seems to be less abundant even in hollywood - it's easier for them to make blockbusters and remakes at the moment as it's guaranteed money - the actors are probably just happy to receive a big fee, money is money, it's a living after all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    augusta92 wrote: »
    why not chat about it on here....it adds to the random nature of the place !!!1

Strangely enough I did prefer the last Batman film....but then it did have Heath Ledger in it...and i found his baddy more compelling and believable as well.....and the story seemed to hold together better...

I saw Christian Bale in the 'Machinist' last week....which was a very dark film...and he looked so so ill.....maybe im confusing the roles...

As for playing Christian Grey, im still wondering if they will let him have red hair? .... Christian Bale could play that role maybe...he definitely seems to have some pretty dark demons himself.....

LOL I never think of Christian Grey with red hair. Red to me means bright red/orange/carrot - more of a bronze/strawberry blonde/auburn colour. A bit like Robert Pattinson, whom I imagine the author had in her head when she wrote it. ;)
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL I never think of Christian Grey with red hair. Red to me means bright red/orange/carrot - more of a bronze/strawberry blonde/auburn colour. A bit like Robert Pattinson, whom I imagine the author had in her head when she wrote it. ;)

I imagine so, seeing as it's origin is Fanfiction for Twilight. Saw a website that compared the original fanfiction to what is in the book - as the author was under strict instructions not to have any comparisons made whatsoever to Twilight or even to her fanfiction - the comparison showed that she barely changed it at all. I bet the lawyers were all over it with a fine tooth comb, worried that the Twilight people would be after them if there was any hint that it related to Twilight.
  • ucra girlucra girl Posts: 19,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we will feel a bit like we used to after BB, when the olympics are over.......

its the same time of year...when a lot of people are on holiday and things have slowed down a bit....

I am so so impressed with these olympics....and the hard work and dedication shown by all the olympic athletes....they could be a good set of role models.....

Very good role models are coming out of these games.They have kept me thoroughly entertained.A TeamGB first ever taekwondo medallist being of Ugandan origin is my icing on the cake lol-Muhammad Lutalo;)
  • ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ucra girl wrote: »
    [/B]

Very good role models are coming out of these games.They have kept me thoroughly entertained.A TeamGB first ever taekwondo medallist being of Ugandan origin is my icing on the cake lol-Muhammad Lutalo;)

Ucra i have loved these games congratulations to Anthony Ogogo on his bronze medal. I just dont want them to end there really has been something special about them. x
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Good Morning jjat

hope you are all well
    the olympics have been great
    and with the sunny weather
    has made me very busy :D

i see no news from john
    he just vanished
    perhaps he is working on a new career
    as a magician :p

ps Lindy did you see the Liverpool match 4-0 ;):D

Hi georgy :)
    No, I didn't see it
    But I read about it
    Good match apparently :D

Maybe that's what we'll do
    After the Olympics:
    Watch football :D
    Not quite the same though ;)

Lindy xx
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Hi georgy :)
    No, I didn't see it
    But I read about it
    Good match apparently :D

Maybe that's what we'll do
    After the Olympics:
    Watch football :D
    Not quite the same though ;)

Lindy xx

It was very good
    looks promising Lindy :)

Good morning jjat
    off to look around

oh and well done Daley :D
    all the men in small pants dived very well :o:p
  • nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Wow, another three Gold medals for Team GB - and two world records. What an evening!!

Wonder if John watched any of it, wherever he is.

Sorry but I'm off now - going to watch the marathon, triathlon and closing ceremony - evidently they are giving each petal of the cauldron to each country participating. Nice touch.
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Morning all.

Wow, another three Gold medals for Team GB - and two world records. What an evening!!

Wonder if John watched any of it, wherever he is.

Sorry but I'm off now - going to watch the marathon, triathlon and closing ceremony - evidently they are giving each petal of the cauldron to each country participating. Nice touch.

What a lovely idea to give away each petal.......brilliant way to recycle everything.

im sure JOhn would have watched some of it...
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Good afternoon :)

Interesting discussion about superheroes :D Over-analysing, just a tad, what is essentially a cartoon character :D but it is interesting.

Augusta - re. the UK actors, trust me, people in Hollywood know exactly who they are and what they have done lol. I would imagine, especially at this time when work seems to be less abundant even in hollywood - it's easier for them to make blockbusters and remakes at the moment as it's guaranteed money - the actors are probably just happy to receive a big fee, money is money, it's a living after all.

I must admit I was wondering why there were so many remakes coming up, all the preview films we saw were remakes of one kind or another.......:confused:

im sure US casting directors know about actors previous careers.....but I dont think they care....or have the same kind of pre- assumptions about an actor.....

having said that, im loving Robert Carlyle as rumplestilkskin, in Once Upon a time, cos that blends both his dark, cruel side, with the gentleness ive seen from the series where he played a scottish policeman.....!!
    Forum Member
    It was very good
    looks promising Lindy :)

Good morning jjat
    off to look around

oh and well done Daley :D
    all the men in small pants dived very well :o:p

didnt they!!!

it has been a brilliant olympics for men in small pants and tight shorts ...all round!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didnt they!!!

it has been a brilliant olympics for men in small pants and tight shorts ...all round!!!

Yay and the marathon Olympic gold goes to Uganda!!!!!.So pleased and proud:).I was already happy about Team GB and didnt see this coming but finally after 40 years Uganda wins an Olympic gold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

Yay and the marathon Olympic gold goes to Uganda!!!!!.So pleased and proud:).I was already happy about Team GB and didnt see this coming but finally after 40 years Uganda wins an Olympic gold.

Just watched that, ucra. I bet you are really proud of him! How wonderful! Well done to him!
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Just watched that, ucra. I bet you are really proud of him! How wonderful! Well done to him!

Well done to Stephen Kiprotich !! :D:D:D
  • ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Just saw well done Uganda x
    Forum Member
    ellemay wrote: »

Ditto from me too. I saw the end of his run. Very well done!

Team GB wins another gold - in super heavyweight. Absolutely terrific. 29 Gold Medals - who would have thought it
  • georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    didnt they!!!

I wonder if D.S has a appreciation thread
    that covers this Augusta :o
    [/B]

Congrats to Uganda
    ucra you must be very pleased :D

and Lindy
    another Win
    Liverpool are looking good :D
    Forum Member
    Well, that's the Olympics over then.......I must admit that I feel very sad about it :cry:. Our screens will no longer be filled with positive young people giving their all to succeed, and expressing thanks to their coaches etc. Back to miserable news, I guess :(

I was disappointed with the closing ceremony, thought the athletes deserved better. A lot of it sounded to me like out of tune noise :eek: And there was much less humour, and narrative, than the opening. Best part for me was Eric Idle singing 'Always look on the bright side of life' ......so I will, and hope the spirit of these games carries over in some ways to our future :).

Goodnight all, sleep well :yawn: :sleep: :sleep:

Lindy xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ellemay wrote: »
    Ditto from me too. I saw the end of his run. Very well done!

Team GB wins another gold - in super heavyweight. Absolutely terrific. 29 Gold Medals - who would have thought it
    [/B]

I wonder if D.S has a appreciation thread
    that covers this Augusta :o

Congrats to Uganda
    ucra you must be very pleased :D

and Lindy
    another Win
    Liverpool are looking good :D

Thanks everyone.I am very very happy:).After singing God Save the Queen for two weeks.I wrap up my London 2012 singing the Uganda National Anthem The Land of Beautyinterestingly they played all the 3 verses.At last Uganda is on the world stage for the right reasons.We last won an Olympic gold in 1972,it was big news but it was at the start of Idi Amin regime so it went down hill quickly,since then its been Amin,war,AIDS and more recently Kony lol.

As a nation we are very academic.There is more sports organisation in schools and at grass root level much more than in Britain,it is free and part of the ciricculum..However there is no access to professional competetive sports and no support for it.So as we grow older we get way from it.Those who hang on become semi proffessional.Uganda is more than capable of producing good sports personnel especially in athletics because we have the basic structure. So I hope the Uganda government has been challenged.
    Forum Member
    Well, that's the Olympics over then.......I must admit that I feel very sad about it :cry:. Our screens will no longer be filled with positive young people giving their all to succeed, and expressing thanks to their coaches etc. Back to miserable news, I guess :(

I was disappointed with the closing ceremony, thought the athletes deserved better. A lot of it sounded to me like out of tune noise :eek: And there was much less humour, and narrative, than the opening. Best part for me was Eric Idle singing 'Always look on the bright side of life' ......so I will, and hope the spirit of these games carries over in some ways to our future :).

Lindy xx

Morning - got my eyelids propped open - I'm pooped.

Have to echo your feelings about the Closing Ceremony Lindy although I thought Queen and Take That were terrific - still wondering why Darcy Bussell was included. Where was Coldplay?

Don't know what I'm going to do with my time now - maybe do some work, see friends, do some housework (yuch), read a book, do my tax return. . . .
    Forum Member

Lindy xx
    Morning - got my eyelids propped open - I'm pooped.

Have to echo your feelings about the Closing Ceremony Lindy although I thought Queen and Take That were terrific - still wondering why Darcy Bussell was included. Where was Coldplay?

Don't know what I'm going to do with my time now - maybe do some work, see friends, do some housework (yuch), read a book, do my tax return. . . .

I spose the closing ceremony couldnt be as good as the opening ceremony......:(

All the sound sounded a bit strained, cos according to my OH, the music and most of the lyrics were pre recorded....so the singers were all lip synching (sp) He thought it was done to try and keep to time and to keep it slick....

Its also really difficult to create a balanced sound in a huge arena.....where sound is going to be bouncing off all sorts of things..and where the sound focus moves all the time, from a fixed stage, to a solo mike in the centre, to one of the cars circling the arena....:eek:

I would have liked a few more familiar songs...like from queen..where was 'We are the Champions'

I loved Darcy Bussell with her firebird/phoenix dance. to celebrate the extingishing of the flame........but it was a bit small in a huge stadium.,

.....I felt the same about Annie Lennox and her performance.

I think Darcy was included in the same way as the procession of the models, to celebrate Dance and fashion....which are also areas Britain is well known for.... .

I also think it might have been nice to actually name check a few more people.......

what an amazing games.........I hope the echos of it are around for a while....:D
    Forum Member

that was amazing.....

well done ucra and uganda.....:D

But i have a question....is the surname Kiprotich a fairly common one? As the Kenyan guy who got a bronze had the same surname?
    Forum Member
    oh another totally random quesition.......

its about being professional or amateur in the olympics......

All the boxers finish their bouts and if they win or do well are asked if this means they will now become professional? So why do boxers have to be amateur to enter the olympics?

when

You have all the professional tennis players like Murray and Federer entering and winning prizes?

I dont understand? Does anyone know how you can have both professionals and amateurs ...surely they rules should be the same across all disciplines?
    Forum Member
    I spose the closing ceremony couldnt be as good as the opening ceremony......:(

All the sound sounded a bit strained, cos according to my OH, the music and most of the lyrics were pre recorded....so the singers were all lip synching (sp) He thought it was done to try and keep to time and to keep it slick....

Its also really difficult to create a balanced sound in a huge arena.....where sound is going to be bouncing off all sorts of things..and where the sound focus moves all the time, from a fixed stage, to a solo mike in the centre, to one of the cars circling the arena....:eek:

I would have liked a few more familiar songs...like from queen..where was 'We are the Champions'

I loved Darcy Bussell with her firebird/phoenix dance. to celebrate the extingishing of the flame........but it was a bit small in a huge stadium.,

.....I felt the same about Annie Lennox and her performance.

I think Darcy was included in the same way as the procession of the models, to celebrate Dance and fashion....which are also areas Britain is well known for.... .

I also think it might have been nice to actually name check a few more people.......

what an amazing games.........I hope the echos of it are around for a while....:D

Agree with you here augusta - good points about the sound quality, which I also found a bit under-cooked (as they say in the diving.....:cry:) On the whole I thought it over-reached itself. Should have been an hour shorter and cut out some of the tired old acts......

Lots of bits puzzled me, eg why have the Kaiser Chiefs do a Who cover, when Daltrey and Co were there. I would have preferred the Kaisers to do one of their own.

Similarly, why get Liam Gallagher to do a Noel Gallagher vocal badly? Should either have got the right brother or chosen a different song.

And who were the guys with the orange 'traffic cones' on their heads???? :rolleyes:

Sorry to be critical, I just found the whole thing more than mystifying.......:(
This discussion has been closed.