Options

Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Comments

• Options
    CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a wee heads up.

birgitte is on scotland tonight at 10.30 monday. they are discussing women in politics, dont know if shes in the studio or just a vt of her with nicola sturgeon. will probably be on stv .tv player tomorrow.

hopefully shes in the studio and if john mackay asks her a difficult question, kasper rushes on to stop the interview, lol
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed this and it seems quite realistic, other than the fact that Birgitte seems to often wear court shoes round her house, hasn't she any slippers?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ■Perhaps surprisingly, she does not consider the work is driven by a particularly feminist agenda;

This is one of my bugbears, actually.

Someone a few pages back linked to a nice Danish TV newsclip looking at the success of Borgen on British TV. It was very interesting to watch but the nice talking heads they wheeled out (Radio Times man was one, someone from the Telegraph as well I think) went blah-blah-blah about it being such a riproaring success because the main character was a good strong independent female.

Nothing to do with the fact that the writing is quality, the politics nuanced - and very relatable to for a whole other country - the characters well-developed, the challenge of dealing with being (and staying in power) is well documented, the alternative angles of the spin doctor and the journalists are key to the story and not lazily tacked on...

To put all the success down to the fact that its a bit pro-female (is it? The last episode, yes ok maybe (and even then that was as much about showing that women could do the job just as well, not more nor less so) but not overall really) and that that in itself makes it novel, well, that just to me is a bit of an insult to a deep, complex and intelligent show.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Season 2 of Borgen (with subtitles) finished in the US last June. I watched the season on-line ages ago. I don't know if the US will get season 3 before BBC4, but it is possible.
    So the US DOES show foreign language shows as well as re-make them? Has Borgen been a success in the US and is it shown in Canada as well?
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've enjoyed this and it seems quite realistic, other than the fact that Birgitte seems to often wear court shoes round her house, hasn't she any slippers?
    That's been winding me up too! I love that she always dresses nicely, looking classy, but not flash, but at home she really ought to take off those heels!
    solarflare wrote: »
    This is one of my bugbears, actually.

Someone a few pages back linked to a nice Danish TV newsclip looking at the success of Borgen on British TV. It was very interesting to watch but the nice talking heads they wheeled out (Radio Times man was one, someone from the Telegraph as well I think) went blah-blah-blah about it being such a riproaring success because the main character was a good strong independent female.

Nothing to do with the fact that the writing is quality, the politics nuanced - and very relatable to for a whole other country - the characters well-developed, the challenge of dealing with being (and staying in power) is well documented, the alternative angles of the spin doctor and the journalists are key to the story and not lazily tacked on...

To put all the success down to the fact that its a bit pro-female (is it? The last episode, yes ok maybe (and even then that was as much about showing that women could do the job just as well, not more nor less so) but not overall really) and that that in itself makes it novel, well, that just to me is a bit of an insult to a deep, complex and intelligent show.

That point of view annoys me too, and it's rather patronising. It suggests that the commentator presumes a woman in politics is still a bit strange, and so cannot be taken at face value.

Granted, having a woman in charge gives a different point of view from the traditional man in charge dramas we're more used to, which in turn helps the show feel fresh, but mainly it is great because it has great writing. I'm often amazed at how they manage to raise complex issues within each episode and present them so well without it verging into overly worthy territory.

The fling with the driver had the potential to be naff, but it made more sense within the context of what the other characters were doing in that episode. It was a touch convenient, but I like that often a theme of what's happening within politics, or something of national or international consequence will have some tie-in to an equivalent domestic struggle.
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a sickly-sweet ending with the daughter getting better and the family being re-united, but enjoyed it as a whole. Don't know if I'll stick with it for another series though......
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the family aren't re-united:confused: Brigette has no idea that Phillip has broken off with Cecille, or that he has feelings for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    But the family aren't re-united:confused: Brigette has no idea that Phillip has broken off with Cecille, or that he has feelings for her.

The family are not reunited, but Philip told Birgitte that he has broken up with Cecilie and it was quite clear that he still has feelings for Birgitte when holding her hand a little too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The family are not reunited, but Philip told Birgitte that he has broken up with Cecilie and it was quite clear that he still has feelings for Birgitte when holding her hand a little too long.

You're quite right. I'd forgotten that scene.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    I've quite enjoyed it - the actress playing Laura has been excellent, I think - she can express so much just by her shifting eyes and focus.
    She obviously needed a number of takes during the first time mum visits her in hospital. Note the magic top button which keeps deciding to be undone then done up again. ;)
  • Options
    FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    She obviously needed a number of takes during the first time mum visits her in hospital. Note the magic top button which keeps deciding to be undone then done up again. ;)

You obviously work for Interpol :D
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    You're quite right. I'd forgotten that scene.
    It was quite significant because the small smile told us Birgitte knew she'd 'won' (Phillip was coming back to her).

She played a blinder there, working him one way, then another, etc.

I totally agree about who ever played Laura - really excellent stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    It was quite significant because the small smile told us Birgitte knew she'd 'won' (Phillip was coming back to her).

She played a blinder there, working him one way, then another, etc.

I totally agree about who ever played Laura - really excellent stuff.

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't read that hand-holding scene in that way, I'd admit. Wasn't the small smile to do with Phillip initially looking at her and Birgette just acknowledging how difficult period they've just been through together?.

I thought that when Phillip reached to clasp Birgette's hand with his second hand, Birgette removed her's before Phillip could hold it. From that I thought that Birgette still doesn't know he has fallen for her again. All she knows is that he has broken up with his girlfriend, and I think it will be too easy to let Phillip come back to Birgette's life just by looking at her and holding her hand (!). With the election coming in Series 3, it may replay the domestic problems in series 1. Only this time with Phillip having to work for Birgette's trust.

It was a brilliant & clever scene, I agree:). I'm so sad - I must have replayed the last episode about three times:o I loved how Hessleboe's interview interplayed with the small domestic. It allowed the scene with Phillip and Birgette to be played out in gestures w/o having to say the words they were meant to say but Hessleboe's interview did that for them.

Laura was fantastic. It's not often I get drawn into a teenage's hellhole quite like that. With the talks and hig she gave Kasper, she also helped him deciding whether to to be a Dad or not. Double brownie points:)
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the scenes between Laura and Kasper, some of the best in the episode, if not the best. Good job by both actors. They captured and portrayed the characters thoughts and feelings with very little dialogue.
    The scene between Kasper and his mum was great too, subtlety perfection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, interesting. I didn't read that hand-holding scene in that way, I'd admit. Wasn't the small smile to do with Phillip initially looking at her and Birgette just acknowledging how difficult period they've just been through together?.

I thought that when Phillip reached to clasp Birgette's hand with his second hand, Birgette removed her's before Phillip could hold it. From that I thought that Birgette still doesn't know he has fallen for her again. All she knows is that he has broken up with his girlfriend, and I think it will be too easy to let Phillip come back to Birgette's life just by looking at her and holding her hand (!). With the election coming in Series 3, it may replay the domestic problems in series 1. Only this time with Phillip having to work for Birgette's trust.

It was a brilliant & clever scene, I agree:). I'm so sad - I must have replayed the last episode about three times:o I loved how Hessleboe's interview interplayed with the small domestic. It allowed the scene with Phillip and Birgette to be played out in gestures w/o having to say the words they were meant to say but Hessleboe's interview did that for them.

Laura was fantastic. It's not often I get drawn into a teenage's hellhole quite like that. With the talks and hig she gave Kasper, she also helped him deciding whether to to be a Dad or not. Double brownie points:)
    I think it reminds us that great drama isn't great dialogue, it can be but it often isn't. As with the scenes between Kasper and Katrine a couple of weeks ago when he handed her his box - three minutes of screen time without any dialogue at all is huge - it's as much about imagery. Ditto Kasper and Laura.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. As you say, it seemed to me that Birgitte isn't even aware that Philip has feelings for her again; there was nothing to signpost that she's aware of that. Moreover it will take rather a lot more for Birgitte to accept Philip back than him just holding her hand, or trying to hold it - that's if they even do get back together! Birgitte is annoyed at his weakness - she explicitly told him that he left the family too soon. She's an alpha female and has a lot of inner strength rather than being a Stepford wife type; she isn't just going to accept him back - 'once bitten' and all that.
  • Options
    redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 episodes into series one and absolutely loving up so far. Really top notch tele
  • Options
    babspankybabspanky Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Officials (no HD):
    1 BORGEN (SAT 2101) 939
    2 BORGEN (SAT 2201) 807

Updated table so far:

Overnights:
    e1 1.08m (inc HD)
    e2 852k (inc HD)
    e3 754k (inc HD)
    e4 653k (inc HD)
    e5 787k (no HD)
    e6 683k (no HD)
    e7 695k (inc HD)
    e8 573k (inc HD)
    e9 674k (no HD)
    e10 623k (no HD)

Officials:
    e1 1.33m (inc HD)
    e2 1.12m (inc HD)
    e3 1.01m (inc HD)
    e4 907k (inc HD)
    e5 972k (no HD)
    e6 916k (no HD)
    e7 939k (no HD)
    e8 807k (no HD)

curse of e4 broken, by the looks of things!

K
    Are these good figures? I always watch it on catch up. I love Borgen!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it reminds us that great drama isn't great dialogue, it can be but it often isn't. As with the scenes between Kasper and Katrine a couple of weeks ago when he handed her his box - three minutes of screen time without any dialogue at all is huge - it's as much about imagery. Ditto Kasper and Laura.

What a lovely way to describe it:) I shall try to remember thatt.

I've come to appreciate this particular form of communication as well. The silence, the close-ups. Some scenes don't need the verbal words or dialogue, but just plain simple body language, which is often difficult to pull off. Laura's vacant look when the paparazzi turned out was so haunting. She reminded me of a holocaust victim with the horror of her mental and emotional anxiety etched on her face. It was quite frightening at times.
    Agreed. As you say, it seemed to me that Birgitte isn't even aware that Philip has feelings for her again; there was nothing to signpost that she's aware of that. Moreover it will take rather a lot more for Birgitte to accept Philip back than him just holding her hand, or trying to hold it - that's if they even do get back together! Birgitte is annoyed at his weakness - she explicitly told him that he left the family too soon. She's an alpha female and has a lot of inner strength rather than being a Stepford wife type; she isn't just going to accept him back - 'once bitten' and all that.

She gave him hell over that, and I was pleased. And she was right - he left way too soon. Six months and he was off. Incidentally, she is still making the sacrifices, both domestically and politically (being in a coalition), even as Prime Minister. What Sidse said in that interview is quite apt: apart form Bent, where are Birgette's female friends? WHat companions does she have outside politics?

But I do sympathise with Phillip. The changes expected of him came so sudden, too quickly and I don't think he knew how to handle it. Time apart from what Birgette's job introduced has made him cool down a bit. A bit like a child going off in a strop, left to let his anger dissipate and then realising that the situation he's found himself in isn't as bad as he first thought.

I doubt Birgette will make Phillip's return an easy one, either. She might confind in Phillip as the election takes its toil, much like she did in Series 1. Boy, a year's too long too wait:(
  • Options
    Forum Member

She's already made it clear - the last time was when someone said it wasn't like her to give up and the next time she saw Philip she went into that prepared speech about growing old together. He didn't bite that time and so she backed off for a while.

It's not exactly a secret she wants him back - she didn't even want to sign the divorce papers.

The next stage of the game - now she knows he want to come back - is to play hard to get, but not too hard.

This is not exactly unfamiliar territory in the great game between the sexes.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babspanky wrote: »
    Are these good figures? I always watch it on catch up. I love Borgen!
    Started off comparable to TKIII but has fallen away - whereas TKIII was more consistent:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63165616&postcount=2415

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Started off comparable to TKIII but has fallen away - whereas TKIII was more consistent:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63165616&postcount=2415

K

I'd guess that the BBC were just about satisfied with the ratings but I guess that Montalbano was cheaper to buy and got just as many viewers without as many trailers over Xmas and New Year.
    It did not help that the whole series had been available on DVD for over a year as well (the Danish official release with English subtitles).
    I have heard of no firm commitment to buying series 3, which is quite different to series 1 and 2 and features far less Pilou Asbæk and lots of new characters. The only source of info relating to the screening of series 3 is the Radio Times which is now a magazine independent of the BBC and claimed in autumn 2012 that B3 would be on screen in autumn 2013. RT now suggests January 2014. I actually doubt whether the BBC have even made up their minds yet to buy it. It all depends on the price that DR and the BBC can negotiate. Unlike The Killing which is sold via a German distributor ZDF Enterprises, Borgen is sold to the BBC direct from DR.
    As I expected the ratings for ep 8 were dreadful, when I rewatch the two series maybe later in the year, I will be skipping eps 7 and 8 of series 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    S3 would have been made with the BBC in mind. It's the shows biggest export market. Hence the refs to the BBC and cross over political issues with Britain in S2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    S3 would have been made with the BBC in mind. It's the shows biggest export market. Hence the refs to the BBC and cross over political issues with Britain in S2.

I doubt that B3 would have been made with the BBC in mind considering that DR agreed to make s3 before BBC had even purchased s1 in June 2011. S3 was made from late 2011 to the end of 2012.

DR would have had solely their domestic audience in mind when deciding whether to go ahead with s3 and in the making of it.
    Borgen has sold to over 57 states and territories, one being the UK.

With The Killing, DR revealed that the sale of it and the success of it on the BBC certainly was very beneficial to further overseas sales. I guess the same applies to Borgen to some extent as well.