Options

Neighbours cat

JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a cat that visits me regulary, not sure exactly where he lives but pretty sure its local.

The other day he popped over and as he was walking down the path I noticed his head looked a strange shape!! Am pretty sure its an abcess, there was a small cut but it looked clean. It didnt seem to be painful as he was rubbing that side of his head on my leg. Last night he popped over and his fur was stuck out at angles, his face is still swollen and he was being careful. What do I do? I have no idea if its been treated by a vet. How long does it taken for an abcess to go down? Shall I try and find out where he lives and ask the owners?

Comments

• Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, it's a difficult one.
    Sounds like he's been scrapping, if he has then those kind of puncture wounds generally take care of themselves from what I recall (haven't had cats for years) so I'd be inclined to leave it for now but keep an eye on him next time he visits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Hmm, it's a difficult one.
    Sounds like he's been scrapping, if he has then those kind of puncture wounds generally take care of themselves from what I recall (haven't had cats for years) so I'd be inclined to leave it for now but keep an eye on him next time he visits.

I thought abcesses had to be drained. Anyway I will keep my eye on him and if it looks like its getting worse I will track his owners down and deal with that then.

They leave him out in all weather and its my house he always turns up at!!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I thought abcesses had to be drained. Anyway I will keep my eye on him and if it looks like its getting worse I will track his owners down and deal with that then.

They leave him out in all weather and its my house he always turns up at!!

I'm sure my neighbours might think I leave my cat out in all weathers, but the truth is she has a catflap and will use it to go out on patrol come rain, shine, storm or snow.
    When I had an abscess it was treated with antibiotics, not draining, so he could be under treatment.
    Glad you're keeping an eye on him though :)
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for looking out for him. Poor baby, I hope he's ok.:)
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75, you're a good person for caring :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm sure my neighbours might think I leave my cat out in all weathers, but the truth is she has a catflap and will use it to go out on patrol come rain, shine, storm or snow.
    When I had an abscess it was treated with antibiotics, not draining, so he could be under treatment.
    Glad you're keeping an eye on him though :)

Maybe this is the case, I hope it is and he just likes being outside. I have thought about attaching a camera to see where he lives and what he is up to :D

No sign of him tonight so hopefully he's at home being looked after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    Thanks for looking out for him. Poor baby, I hope he's ok.:)

I will keep my eye on him. He's been a regular visitor since he was a kitten, I know he's someone else's but I'm fond of him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75, you're a good person for caring :)

Awww, thank you :)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you really want to know if he's a 'kept' cat you can put a collar on him with a note to call you. If you see him around with the collar still on then he's not got an owner - though he may have a feeder (or a few;-))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does sound lie an abcess . One of mine had one was attacked by he local bully cat. I didn't realise at first but it was a coupe, of weeks later. I found it had burst even though I didn't know it was there. Then a couple of days later it happened again I think it was a second one. It was in his face too, it looked like he had a flat face. But it cleared up after a couple of weeks. The collar idea is a great idea. Just in case they don't know about it as they realy should have antibiotics
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Vets don't tend to drain them now unless they are looking like they are going to burst, so fingers crossed he's been seen, but I'd definatley pop a note on him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is a kept cat, he has a collar and when he manages to lose that one a new one is replaced within a few days. Maybe other neighbours are trying to stake claim on him!!

The only reason I'm concerned is that a year or so ago he damaged his leg quite badly and was still roaming around. I personally thought he should have been kept indoors till it was fully healed. He was really struggling to get around and would flop down because it was too much effort, i picked him up off the road a few times in case he got run over.

Didnt realise that vets didnt drain abcesses anymore. Hopefully next time I see him his head will be back to its normal shape!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the cat yesterday for the first time in a week and he looks loads better, he's obviously been treated at the vet as half his face has been shaved - bless him! He has a massive scab which I think is the abcess healing. Was off work yesterday and watched him turn up at 5.45, I usually get home at 5.50 - 6.00. As I thought he knows my times and is stalking me ;-)
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's great news!
    So jealous, I'd love a stalker like that but with two dogs I've got no chance! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    That's great news!
    So jealous, I'd love a stalker like that but with two dogs I've got no chance! :D

He really is a beauty!! Gorgeous smoky grey colour and purrs like a bumblebee when you stroke him, your dogs would hate him :D
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    He really is a beauty!! Gorgeous smoky grey colour and purrs like a bumblebee when you stroke him, your dogs would hate him :D

So glad he seems better - and well done you for being such a great cat lover.