Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These trailers have been absolutely top tier
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something still bothers me about this.

I love the Mad Max movies, and have no issues with the notion of a new version.

But from the very start I was bothered that all of the trailers emphasised the action sequences, and pretty much from the same scene over and over, ie the epic chase scene.

And as good as that looked (with some reservations), I was bothered that there was barely any dialogue in those trailers and no sense of what the story/plot was. It was simply just spectacle.

Now that we have seen fuller trailers and have a better sense of the story and plot, it still seems pretty thin. And yes, I don't expect Shakespeare here, I know that's not really what this movie was about. But the original movies were essentially drama's/thrillers that happened to have some excellent action sequences, whereas with this movie it appears from what we have seen so far the action sequences ARE the movie.

I could be wrong and hope I am...because I don't want to watch a 2 hour car-chase movie...that's NOT what the original movies were about.

I also wonder about the look of the movie, the various colour saturations used. It's very garish looking to me.

And finally, the CGI - as good as the stunts look, you can see that a lot of them are wire and CGI assisted/enhanced. I hope this is kept to a minimum, because I do know they tried to do as much for real as possible.

I want to like this movie...the look and design, the vehicles, costumes, etc all look incredible. But I just don't think it can live up to the hype and expectation that has been heaped on it so far.
  • Options
    jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the look of it at all.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    I think it looks awful. Hardy just doesn't have that presence Gibson had, and the look of the movie itself is that typical orange and teal look that's way too common in movies now. Even though apparently not much CGI was used it looks like there was. It looks kind of cartoonish and too polished.

The first two movies had a gonzo filmmaking style about them that made them raw and gritty. It looks like George Miller has just thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this and sometimes less is more.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this trailer before Avengers and John Wick and all i say say is wow wow wow, f*cking epic, what the f*ck is this, absolutely frigging mental, best trailer EVER! It looks immense! This is going to be one hell of a ride! Tom Hardy can knock this out the park!

I read this a while ago but Hardy and Charlize Theron didn't get on during filming as Hardy went all method for the role and Theron found it hard getting to know him and make conversation which made her mad. Hardy's already admitted this is basically what happened. When the film gets released media press/junket/interviews is going to be interesting between these two.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I think it looks awful. Hardy just doesn't have that presence Gibson had, and the look of the movie itself is that typical orange and teal look that's way too common in movies now. Even though apparently not much CGI was used it looks like there was. It looks kind of cartoonish and too polished.

The first two movies had a gonzo filmmaking style about them that made them raw and gritty. It looks like George Miller has just thrown everything but the kitchen sink at this and sometimes less is more.

You might be right. But, like the original Star Wars film in 1977, would it really have looked like it does if George Lucas had modern special effects and a whole lot more money? Was his vision restricted by his means?

This might have been what George Miller imagined his Mad Max was all along.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Saw this trailer before Avengers and John Wick and all i say say is wow wow wow, f*cking epic, what the f*ck is this, absolutely frigging mental, best trailer EVER! It looks immense! This is going to be one hell of a ride! Tom Hardy can knock this out the park!

I read this a while ago but Hardy and Charlize Theron didn't get on during filming as Hardy went all method for the role and Theron found it hard getting to know him and make conversation which made her mad. Hardy's already admitted this is basically what happened. When the film gets released media press/junket/interviews is going to be interesting between these two.

Theron recently said that there's no bad blood between the two and it was her respect for the actor that got her through the film. Though Tom Hardy does have form for being 'difficult' to work with, he and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu got into a few bust ups on the set of The Revenant, Hardy putting him into a headlock at one time. But they were able to laugh it off.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    is this a remake of number 2 ?........looks like it.

When i saw the first trailer last year there was a quote from Miller that this was the way he always wanted MM3 to be.

Maybe he originally had pressure from studios to make the shitefest that was 3?
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theron recently said that there's no bad blood between the two and it was her respect for the actor that got her through the film.

Absolutely fine with that but fact of the matter is there was a feud between the two during filming and she couldn't stand him. Glad she's over that now.
    Though Tom Hardy does have form for being 'difficult' to work with, he and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu got into a few bust ups on the set of The Revenant, Hardy putting him into a headlock at one time. But they were able to laugh it off.

Regarding The Revenant i think it was more than a headlock. He flat out punched Inarritu and knocked him to the ground if reports are true. I don't think Hardy was the problem, it was Inarritu. That Oscar win seems to have gone to his head. Allegedly.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Regarding The Revenant i think it was more than a headlock. He flat out punched Inarritu and knocked him to the ground if reports are true. I don't think Hardy was the problem, it was Inarritu. That Oscar win seems to have gone to his head. Allegedly.
    And it'll be Hardy who'll be having to thank Inarritu if he gets an Oscar nod. He's a very demanding director and every knows this. Likewise with Hardy who also takes his work seriously.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnathome wrote: »
    When i saw the first trailer last year there was a quote from Miller that this was the way he always wanted MM3 to be.

He only directed a portion of number 3..studio interference made him quit and another director & writer took over midway through the shoot.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbfc list the run time as 120 minutes 3 seconds and the film is a 15 for 'strong violence, threat'.
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »

3 was definetly more "Hollywood" but the studios weren't interfering with the way the action should look. Miller lost his friend and producer Byron Kennedy during scouting locations just a few months prior to filming and he not only lost his passion for for the movie but he was lost without his visionary partner. Kennedy came up with a lot of ideas for the previous two - even the Thunderdome fight itself was his idea left over from Mad Max 2.
    mialicious wrote: »
    He only directed a portion of number 3..studio interference made him quit and another director & writer took over midway through the shoot.

He wasn't fired his heart just wasn't in it so from the get go he had his friend George Ogilivie handle all the directing with the acting scenes, while he worked on the look of the movie and directing the action scenes.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Well, well, now that is unexpected, Empire and Total Film rated it 5 of 5 in their reviews, said it best view in IMAX!

What A Lovely Day!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    A sudden rash of reviews out there now - most seem to be very positive.

Typically, Sreendaily are more cautious. Overall very good, but a little too much of a muchness.

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/mad-max-fury-road-review/5087602.article?blocktitle=The-Latest&contentID=598
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 16 reviews,

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/
  • Options
    denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the trailer before the Avengers and wasn't overly fussed about this movie, thought it would be just another big blockbuster.

However, the reviews have perked my interest, looking forward to seeing this now. Sounds like it might well be up my street!
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    The Telegraph's review http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/mad-max-fury-road/review/

I think they liked it :)
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Some very positive reviews around. Sounding good.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks very promising :)

A both interesting and odd time, this. When you think that we have Mad Max, Jurassic World, Terminator, Bond & Star Wars from now till Christmas - with plans being revealed for Blade Runner & Alien - and more Star Trek & Independence Day around the corner.

I must have time travelled.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really sure about this. I might go and see it. The reviews are impressive.
  • Options
    ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it earlier. I liked it.

It's a bit weird at times, but that just adds to the atmosphere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm.....I think I liked it. Saw it at an IMAX which was very loud, my ears are still ringing.

Max is almost a co-star as Theron's character really takes the lead. Stunts are amazing and so are the vehicles. I'm not a big MM fan but I can say I was never bored and there is a story amongst all the mayhem.
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Just got back. Very visually impressive and some great camera work. It might be my ears or the sound system at the cinema but I only understood about half of the dialogue.