Options

Jon Gaunt's new radio Station?

Comments

• Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    lol... doesn't mean a thing. my home town is wrong on here. I moved ages ago

and never bothered updating it. I will admit I was taking the mick because the posters obsession with Jon Gaunt is quite funny. he'll even bring him up in other threads to try get a conversation about the broadcasting icon that is Gaunty going...
    I was also joking. I was watching "Sunday Morning Live" on BBC 1 a few weeks back and saw is mug pop up :o and he kept saying every 20 seconds about his home town of Coventry >:( It got annoyed after a while.

I love the name of his new radio "station", talk 2 me radio. It shows how desperate he will be to get calls. I bet LBC are worried, ;-):D
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also joking. I was watching "Sunday Morning Live" on BBC 1 a few weeks back and saw is mug pop up :o and he kept saying every 20 seconds about his home town of Coventry >:( It got annoyed after a while.

I love the name of his new radio "station", talk 2 me radio. It shows how desperate he will be to get calls. I bet LBC are worried, ;-):D
    Yep. JOB will be quaking in his middle class boots at the compitition Gaunty is about to unleash on him. don't forget he has a human rites lawyer backing him which will make all the difference.

in all seriousness

though, has a british internet talk station ever been a success? you had Play radio which actually had some good presenters on but still failed and you had ~Gaunty's last failure on sun talk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    lol... doesn't mean a thing. my home town is wrong on here. I moved ages ago

and never bothered updating it. I will admit I was taking the mick because the posters obsession with Jon Gaunt is quite funny. he'll even bring him up in other threads to try get a conversation about the broadcasting icon that is Gaunty going...

Not so much an obsession as wanting to get something new out there instead of the PC brigade. Sometimes I don't agree with Jon and in defense, one poster mentioned him on the LBC board as a subject when a caller bought him up on the anniversary of 7/7. The guy won 3 Golden Sony's so he must have done something, right or wrong~
  • Options
    Forum Member

It depends upon who the other presenters will be and what hours the station will be online from.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iso_Cross wrote: »
    Not so much an obsession as wanting to get something new out there instead of the PC brigade. Sometimes I don't agree with Jon and in defense, one poster mentioned him on the LBC board as a subject when a caller bought him up on the anniversary of 7/7. The guy won 3 Golden Sony's so he must have done something, right or wrong~

He didn't win 3 Sonys at all. Beeky will confirm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He didn't win 3 Sonys at all. Beeky will confirm.

Taken from the Wikipedia:

Radio presenter
    Gaunt then ran the Livingston Forum in West Lothian, Scotland for a year, before returning to Coventry where a chance meeting with Moz Dee,[2] who later became the programme director at Talksport,[3] led to his being persuaded to audition for the local radio station for which Dee worked, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire.[2]
    Gaunt has worked for many radio stations, including BBC Three Counties Radio, BBC WM, BBC London 94.9, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire and Talksport. Gaunt's BBC Three Counties show was awarded three Sony Radio Academy Gold Award in 2001.[4]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It depends upon who the other presenters will be and what hours the station will be online from.
    Nick Griffin, Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taken from the Wikipedia:

Radio presenter
    Gaunt then ran the Livingston Forum in West Lothian, Scotland for a year, before returning to Coventry where a chance meeting with Moz Dee,[2] who later became the programme director at Talksport,[3] led to his being persuaded to audition for the local radio station for which Dee worked, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire.[2]
    Gaunt has worked for many radio stations, including BBC Three Counties Radio, BBC WM, BBC London 94.9, BBC Coventry & Warwickshire and Talksport. Gaunt's BBC Three Counties show was awarded three Sony Radio Academy Gold Award in 2001.[4]

Unless Mr Gaunt was producing,editing,driving the desk, writing and presenting at the same time, we can safely say it wasn't him that won two of the awards, but the team around him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick Griffin, Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson, I think.

It's widely known that J.G has issues with Katie Hopkins. He's called her a Plastic Right Winger so she could get phone calls on her LBC show when she had on. And is Nick Griffin still a thing or is he assigned to the rubbish skips?
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or it could be that radio moved on, and wannabe shock-jocks no longer work. James Whale ditched that act when he started on LBC and hasn't reverted to it on the BBC. That's why he's still in regular work. Iain Lee had to grow up to get back into radio and (perhaps unsurprisingly) help support his family. Ian Collins wisely distanced himself from his Creatures persona years ago and remained in work as a result.

You completely miss the point, the point being they have had to change to fit into the overly PC, 'we mustn't upset anyone' mantra of sterile mainstream radio. Look how that guy on Radio Devon was treated because he played a 1930's record with a lyric that only the politically correct found offensive in the 21st century.

Some listeners are fed up with such PC dross, offered in the main by the BBC (5Live as an example) and want something with some bite and honesty.

I don't like all of what Gaunt says and he can be a little annoying, but look forward to his new venture and wish him good luck. I'd rather listen to him any day over the carefully selected callers and texters on phone ins offered by 5Live, Local radio, TalkSport, James O'Brien or Jeremy Whine...
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's widely known that J.G has issues with Katie Hopkins.

Well he can't be all bad then ! LOL

Noticed 'his mate' Shami was on that Sunday Morning Questions thing this morning(or as I call it 'We all know it's in The One Show studio really, but we shan't mention it!'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Well he can't be all bad then ! LOL

Noticed 'his mate' Shami was on that Sunday Morning Questions thing this morning(or as I call it 'We all know it's in The One Show studio really, but we shan't mention it!'

I hear that he's stopped calling her the "Most Dangerous Woman in Britain". I think that position has gone to Nicola Sturgeon now!
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    You completely miss the point, the point being they have had to change to fit into the overly PC, 'we mustn't upset anyone' mantra of sterile mainstream radio. Look how that guy on Radio Devon was treated because he played a 1930's record with a lyric that only the politically correct found offensive in the 21st century.

Some listeners are fed up with such PC dross, offered in the main by the BBC (5Live as an example) and want something with some bite and honesty.

I don't like all of what Gaunt says and he can be a little annoying, but look forward to his new venture and wish him good luck. I'd rather listen to him any day over the carefully selected callers and texters on phone ins offered by 5Live, Local radio, TalkSport, James O'Brien or Jeremy Whine...

The problem is, the callers and texters into any show Gaunt ends up presenting will be just as carefully se;lected, they'll just be a different type of 'carefully selected'. It will be all the sycophants that buy into his style of ranting, right-wing, opportunistic soapbox politics. You see, the problem with Gaunt is that he can't debate, he can only rant. He lacks the courage, moral fibre and basic intellect to enter into any kind of meaningful debate, and will carefully steer clear of any contributor who he feels may be able to give him a bit of a run for his money. He's just not that good, and not that clever.

Whenever he does get into a serious exchange of views and looks likely to lose the debate, he resorts to shouting over his callers, puerile name calling, and usually just ends up cutting them off. The incident that brought about his demise at Talk Sport was just such an example.

He's also very thin skinned for a big lad - I guarantee if you check back here at regular intervals over the next 24 hours, this post will magically disappear! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    The problem is, the callers and texters into any show Gaunt ends up presenting will be just as carefully se;lected, they'll just be a different type of 'carefully selected'. It will be all the sycophants that buy into his style of ranting, right-wing, opportunistic soapbox politics. You see, the problem with Gaunt is that he can't debate, he can only rant. He lacks the courage, moral fibre and basic intellect to enter into any kind of meaningful debate, and will carefully steer clear of any contributor who he feels may be able to give him a bit of a run for his money. He's just not that good, and not that clever.

Whenever he does get into a serious exchange of views and looks likely to lose the debate, he resorts to shouting over his callers, puerile name calling, and usually just ends up cutting them off. The incident that brought about his demise at Talk Sport was just such an example.

He's also very thin skinned for a big lad - I guarantee if you check back here at regular intervals over the next 24 hours, this post will magically disappear! ;-)

Who knows that after his time in the Wilderness, perhaps he learnt how to deal with callers better. That amount of time and such would make anyone learn a lesson, especially me!
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Who knows that after his time in the Wilderness, perhaps he learnt how to deal with callers better. That amount of time and such would make anyone learn a lesson, especially me!

I wouldnt hold your breath.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    We all know it's in The One Show studio really, but we shan't mention it!

Yeah, the BBC should have spend £100,000 on a dedicated set and studio for this Sunday morning niche show and its many, many thousands of viewers. Instead of just sticking a different sofa and table in the same ground-floor room of Broadcasting House.

And as Les Ross said to Hardeep Singh Kohli about The One Show, just before he fulfilled his life-long ambition to ask him whether he was Asian-British-Scottish, British-Scottish-Asian, Asian, Scottish or British, "It was better when it was from Birmingham. But never mind, we'll let that pass."
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And as Les Ross said to Hardeep Singh Kohli about The One Show, just before he fulfilled his life-long ambition to ask him whether he was Asian-British-Scottish, British-Scottish-Asian, Asian, Scottish or British...

Hardeep Singh Kohli now runs a curry restaurant in Edinburgh.

It's not yet clear whether it's Asian-British-Scottish or British-Scottish-Asian. It does serve "bubble and sikh", which is pure genius, regardless of its cultural identity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Hardeep Singh Kohl now runs a curry restaurant in Edinburgh.

Is his chef a renowned human rights lawyer, whom diners may fear being suing by if they say anything Sing Kohl doesn't like to hear about the food?
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Hardeep supposed to be a comedian?

Ive never found him funny!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ticked the boxes for the BBC.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member

Yes, exactly.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His own huge (if bizarre) sense of entitlement has served him well, if not those who actually have to fund the BBC..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    His own huge (if bizarre) sense of entitlement

That's not a nice thing to say about a Scottish person...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's not a nice thing to say about a Scottish person...

Who are you talking about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Who are you talking about?
    There taking about the question that Les Ross asked Hardeep Singh Kohli in this "interview" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVS9yNQFMag