Cecil the Lion murdered by a USA dentist

Comments

• D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listen guys, you're not allowed to be revolted and sickened by a sadistic (probably impotent) murderer if you've ever eaten a burger. Ok?

Yeah, these threads are always the same.
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just makes you a massive hypocrite. People in the west especially like to think they are so morally righteous and superior passing judgement, but their living is killing the planet from their poorly treated cheap meat to their clothes and electrical equipment. Watching them try to come up with lame excuses is amusing.

and comparing the actions of a sadistic maniac who pays thousands to kill for his jollies, just to let the body rot is EXACTLY the same as killing animals for food.

Here's a scenario. You go to Dignitas because you are terminally ill and the doctor walks in, heart racing, sweat pouring, obviously aroused. He gives you the magic drink or injection before you slip away. Then he poses, smiling with your corpse.

By the way have you ever killed a fly?
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon the hunter knew exactly what was happening, he must have known they had lured Cecil out of the park. He is not only a vile excuse of the human being, he is also a big fat rotten liar.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I'll wait until there is a bit more information before fetching the pitchfork and flaming torch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's been stated in the press that the killing of Cecil will have a significant adverse effect on Zimbabwe's tourist industry. People who want to see live lions, particularly people who don't agree with hunting, will go elsewhere. People who support conservation will likewise spend their money elsewhere.

If so, it is a case of killing the wrong lion, it doesn't mean that they don't see a benefit in allowing the hunting of other lions.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I'll wait until there is a bit more information before fetching the pitchfork and flaming torch.

Did the man really think that by offering someone 35,000 big ones in a poor country, that he'd be told the truth about whether it was legal or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really see how the legality of his actions make all that much difference to be honest. Whether he killed the lion legally or not is kinda irrelevant to the main issue which is killing the lion in the first place.

Hunting out of necessity or for food is one thing, taking pleasure in hurting and killing living beings is quite another.

I can totally understand the outrage and I don't think most of the comments about it are out of proportion.

In many situations, hunting animals is perfectly legal. If someone doesn't think it should be legal, then lobby the respective governments for a change to the law. It is pretty sick to go after a hunter in the way some people have.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and comparing the actions of a sadistic maniac who pays thousands to kill for his jollies, just to let the body rot is EXACTLY the same as killing animals for food.

Here's a scenario. You go to Dignitas because you are terminally ill and the doctor walks in, heart racing, sweat pouring, obviously aroused. He gives you the magic drink or injection before you slip away. Then he poses, smiling with your corpse.

The animal on these hunts would be killed and usually eaten for food. They breed lions and other animals for this purpose. Looks like the wrong lion was killed but the dentist is hardly going to know that. What's the difference between posing with a fish or a deer and a lion bred for hunting?
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By the way have you ever killed a fly?

Yes, but I'd never behead one and pose for my picture with its head.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is why some people are saying that animals are needlessly killed for us to eat meat. Most of them wouldn't have been born otherwise surely? I don't think I could ever kill an animal even if I was starving, unless I thought it was a threat to me or my family. I eat meat and eggs and try to buy them where we know the animal had as happy a life as possible but in my head, the animal would never have had a life unless it was to be raised to be used as meat eventually.

Cecil was needlessly killed.

We can debate whether the bacon I buy today was from a needlessly killed pig, but if that's the case, maybe said pig was needlessly alive in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yes, but that's nature. Someone shooting an arrow at a lion isn't natural.

In the sense that man has developed tools to enable him to kill animals, then it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The animal on these hunts would be killed and usually eaten for food. They breed lions and other animals for this purpose. Looks like the wrong lion was killed but the dentist is hardly going to know that. What's the difference between posing with a fish or a deer and a lion bred for hunting?

I think lions are a bit more inteligent than a fish for a start..

In the UK, you're not allowed to kill female deer if they have young to protect..( male deer play little / no part in protecting their young )

The killing of this male lion has now resulted in his cubs being killed by another male because his very job was to protect his own offspring..
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just cant get my head round this story. I am a meat eater, not a big animal rights activist or anything, understand the food chain, the circle of life etc but I just cant understand why someone would pay money to kill another life. What enjoyment do people get from killing animals as a sport? I understand it is a legal activity, seemingly a money making exercise, but why would someone want to do it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the sense that man has developed tools to enable him to kill animals, then it is.

He didn't kill the animal with the arrow though, the lion was found alive - and suffering - over 24 hours later.. What a compassionate guy...

I suppose you'd be fine with a group of chavs killing puppies and kittens for fun - which they have on occassion - because hey, it's human nature..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame we can't just read about the direct issue of what happened here instead of it turning into the inevitable meat eating debate, I'm a vegetarian and you always inevitably get people questioning on you and trying to start a why don't you eat meat debate.

Glad so many people feel compassionate about Cecil the lion and we even seem to have been spared most of the usual naysaying arguments in favour of hunting because of the context in this case where he killed a lion that was supposed to be under protection. The outrage now flowing towards the idiot is great to watch, it will hopefully damage the hunting industry and make more people realise that they will wreck their lives if they try to enjoy this controversial activity, he will never be able to be a dentist again now like Josie in Channel 4's "Fresh Meat" but then again Cecil will never be a lion again so that's completely fair!

Yes, let's bully him into oblivion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, let's bully him into oblivion.

It's only human nature in action. like this lion's cubs will now be killed by other male lions.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not even going to open your link, I really don't think this is anything to laugh about.:(

I realise the thread has moved on a bit since you wrote this, but the link is nothing to do with this story. It's a comedy sketch from Mitchell and Webb taking the mick out of people who phone in to discussion programmes to tell people what they "reckon" about a subject, however misinformed they may be. :)

Your comment about what you "reckon" just reminded me of that sketch, that's all.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That doesn't really answer the question as to how it tastes though, just the fact that some people are eating it.
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    What I don't get is why some people are saying that animals are needlessly killed for us to eat meat. Most of them wouldn't have been born otherwise surely? I don't think I could ever kill an animal even if I was starving, unless I thought it was a threat to me or my family. I eat meat and eggs and try to buy them where we know the animal had as happy a life as possible but in my head, the animal would never have had a life unless it was to be raised to be used as meat eventually.

Cecil was needlessly killed.

We can debate whether the bacon I buy today was from a needlessly killed pig, but if that's the case, maybe said pig was needlessly alive in the first place.

Yes, certainly most farmed pigs would be "needlessly alive". Breed to satisfy a desire. If just making sure that animals are specifically born for food production purposes satisfies any moral qualms you might have, fair enough. To a lot of people it doesn't.

I guess cows just aren't as cute as beagles.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, certainly most farmed pigs would be "needlessly alive". Breed to satisfy a desire. If just making sure that animals are specifically born for food production purposes satisfies any moral qualms you might have, fair enough. To a lot of people it doesn't.

I'd say they were cuter.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Nash wrote: »
    The "legality" is a complete red herring. People would be no less rightly disgusted by this if he'd had "legal" right to do this. It's the straw man of all straw men.

Would they though? According to some reports 7,000 lions have been bred in SA for the sole purpose of hunting. Yet the outrage seems to have suddenly peaked because they inadvertently killed a protected one
  • DPSDPS Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems as though he's done this before:
    Separately, court records have shown that the dentist has a felony record in the US after killing a black bear in the state of Wisconsin in 2006.

He was given a one-year probation and fined $3,000 (£1,900), having shot the animal outside an authorised zone and then trying to pass it off as having been killed elsewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33699346

Makes his supposed regret over what happened less convincing. I daresay he's regretful not that he shot a protected lion, but that he got caught.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

If you're morally consistent it's nothing to do with cuteness.

If lions were plentiful, farmed for food and most importantly tasted good, i would most definitely eat a lion. Or a beagle. Yummy!

If cows were endangered and hunted and killed in the wild i would not eat a cow no matter how tasty it was.

Also how can you say cows arn't cute! Those sad eyes! Damn sexy cows.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PETA are calling for him to be hanged.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just knew the fundamentalist vegetarians would be out in force screaming "hypocrisy". They are on very shaky ground indeed.

Vegans do have the moral high ground, though are usually the most boring people on planet earth and often slightly unhinged.