IPad to Replace Laptop?

scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok, I'm not that computer savvy.

My old laptop is wasting away and Im', wondering if a new IPad will do for me.

I use laptop to browse the internet, google, read articles reviews etc. I use it to buy items - Amazon etc. Online banking. Plus watching Youtube.

Going to need to write up CV and I use it for some letters via wireless printer.

Will this Ipad do this for me?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer on with a good sized screen for watching YouTube.

If anyone can confirm the iPad will be good for my needs us much appreciate it. Also any recommendations or opinions thankfully received.

Thanks very much
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't like to use an ipad as a word processor, personally. Could you stretch to an ipad and a cheap 2nd hand laptop?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to use an ipad as a word processor, personally. Could you stretch to an ipad and a cheap 2nd hand laptop?

Yes I probably could. So use iPad for most of my uses and an older laptop that can be used for word processing.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    The other opton would be somethng like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/667312-acer-switch-sw5-012-nt-l4tek-004

Lets you use any software you already have and is touch screen and use the Windows apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    The other opton would be somethng like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/667312-acer-switch-sw5-012-nt-l4tek-004

Lets you use any software you already have and is touch screen and use the Windows apps.

Oh that looks interesting
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    Ok, I'm not that computer savvy.

My old laptop is wasting away and Im', wondering if a new IPad will do for me.

I use laptop to browse the internet, google, read articles reviews etc. I use it to buy items - Amazon etc. Online banking. Plus watching Youtube.

Going to need to write up CV and I use it for some letters via wireless printer.

Will this Ipad do this for me?

Thanks very much.

Personally if you're using it at home most of the time I'd get a laptop. Tablets are OK but boy do they get annoying for some websites or any significant typing.

If you need to go for a tablet then yet perhaps the sort of thing one of the other posters mentioned might be an option or an MS tablet but for me if I had to choose only one device it would be a laptop every time.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to use a tablet for word processing, you could just use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and a chromecast to display screen on tv?
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since your existing laptop is working, just get the iPad and dust the laptop off when you need to word process. I do a lot of typing on my 10" iPad in both Apple Pages and Microsoft Word its fine with the right case to angle the screen once you adjust to not having physical keys. You could give word processing ago on the iPad and if you don't get on with it you still have your old laptop for that 1 task.

You can print a very easy from the iPad so long as your printer supports 'AirPrint' no messing with drivers or installation if its connected to the same network, just tap print and select the printer. (Although i have seen some very bad printers that have to be setup on a PC or Mac first before you can use them, Im looking at you Canon!)

It should be fine for all your other tasks, with the advantage of just grabbing the iPad and its on waiting, no boot time (unless your power it off which it is not how its designed to work).

If you are near an Apple store go play with the display models and try and do a lot of tasks you would normally do and see how well it works for you before buying.
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    Since your existing laptop is working.

He says it's wasting away so wants a new device
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    I'd prefer on with a good sized screen for watching YouTube.

If anyone can confirm the iPad will be good for my needs us much appreciate it. Also any recommendations or opinions thankfully received.

Thanks very much

At home I use my iPad 90% of the time and a laptop 10%. That should tell you that the iPad suits mists of my needs, which are similar to yours. I've been known to take notes for 6 hours using an iPad, so it's not bad as a basic word processor either.

Go for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    At home I use my iPad 90% of the time and a laptop 10%. That should tell you that the iPad suits mists of my needs, which are similar to yours. I've been known to take notes for 6 hours using an iPad, so it's not bad as a basic word processor either.

Go for it.

I think this will be the route I take.

Thank you to everyone who shared their opinions. I appreciate it.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member

Go for it.
    About the same ratio for me!!! I don't think it could realistically replace a laptop though.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My iPad Air 2 is marvellous and does most things for me.
    But, as above, I use my now run down PC which just about chugs along, for letters and keeping accounts.
    I don't find the iPad screen too small for YouTube.
    In fact, I use the BBC iPad App for watching programmes I've missed etc.
    About 94%/6% ratio.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »

With a Bluetooth keyboard it's fine for writing long documents
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    Take a look at Microsoft Surface. It's a full on Windows machine in the form of a tablet with detachable keyboard. I understand it's awesome, though a bit pricey, but that shouldn't be an issue if you were considering an iPad. Maybe wait and see what the Surface Pro 4 is like which should be out fairly soon.
    It (Surface 3/ 3 Pro) also has an awesome 3:2 aspect high resolution screen. It's pretty rare to be able to get a non 16:9 screen in new things that run Windows these days.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    Take a look at Microsoft Surface. It's a full on Windows machine in the form of a tablet with detachable keyboard. I understand it's awesome, though a bit pricey, but that shouldn't be an issue if you were considering an iPad. Maybe wait and see what the Surface Pro 4 is like which should be out fairly soon.
    It (Surface 3/ 3 Pro) also has an awesome 3:2 aspect high resolution screen. It's pretty rare to be able to get a non 16:9 screen in new things that run Windows these days.

I second the Surface, but my personal preference would be to get the Surface 3 at £420 and the Type Cover keyboard at £90 and stick with Windows 8.1. (At least for the time being)

Without the keyboard the Surface 3 is just like an iPad, in that it's a tablet with tablet gestures and navigation. But it can run not only apps but all Windows software, so you can run Firefox, Chrome, Photoshop, iTunes, Word, Excel, anything. You can also have separate user accounts, so you can let your kids use it without them reading your emails or looking at your photos.

But add the keyboard and switch from the Metro touch/tablet screen of Windows 8 to the traditional desktop and it has the full UI for keyboard/mouse use, in other words it's a laptop. You can even plug in an external monitor or your HDTV and run it as a dual monitor PC using both screens.

Unlike the iPad you can easily add extra memory with a micro SD card and the kick stand means it will stand up. Even in Metro tablet use it can run two apps side by side, so you can look up Wikipedia while writing in Word, or video a lecture while taking notes in One Note, or listen to a Youtube video while reading the news etc.

My preference for sticking with Windows 8.1 is that Windows 10 has removed a lot of the tablet gestures and when using it as a tablet is not as good. For example W8.1 Surface has two versions of IE, a desktop one and a touch one for use in tablet mode, with big finger friendly touch controls. Windows 10 has Edge, which is really desktop only and working it with fingers is really fiddly.

I am just about to upgrade my main PC to W10, but my tablet I think I will restore W8.1.
    I assume MS will address these points in time, but at the moment Windows 10 is not tablet friendly IMHO.

But the Surface rocks.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the Surface Pro 3 and an iPad, and the iPad is far more user friendly. The touch interface works better, the battery lasts longer, and you don't have the security concerns of Windows.
  • AJ2001AJ2001 Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    I second the Surface, but my personal preference would be to get the Surface 3 at £420 and the Type Cover keyboard at £90 and stick with Windows 8.1. (At least for the time being)

Without the keyboard the Surface 3 is just like an iPad, in that it's a tablet with tablet gestures and navigation. But it can run not only apps but all Windows software, so you can run Firefox, Chrome, Photoshop, iTunes, Word, Excel, anything. You can also have separate user accounts, so you can let your kids use it without them reading your emails or looking at your photos.

But add the keyboard and switch from the Metro touch/tablet screen of Windows 8 to the traditional desktop and it has the full UI for keyboard/mouse use, in other words it's a laptop. You can even plug in an external monitor or your HDTV and run it as a dual monitor PC using both screens.

Unlike the iPad you can easily add extra memory with a micro SD card and the kick stand means it will stand up. Even in Metro tablet use it can run two apps side by side, so you can look up Wikipedia while writing in Word, or video a lecture while taking notes in One Note, or listen to a Youtube video while reading the news etc.

My preference for sticking with Windows 8.1 is that Windows 10 has removed a lot of the tablet gestures and when using it as a tablet is not as good. For example W8.1 Surface has two versions of IE, a desktop one and a touch one for use in tablet mode, with big finger friendly touch controls. Windows 10 has Edge, which is really desktop only and working it with fingers is really fiddly.

I am just about to upgrade my main PC to W10, but my tablet I think I will restore W8.1.
    I assume MS will address these points in time, but at the moment Windows 10 is not tablet friendly IMHO.

But the Surface rocks.

ditto! Recently bought a Surface Pro 3 at J.Lewis to replace my Laptop and it was probably the best investment I have made for a long time. Never got used to MS office on the Ipad, which now my missus uses for TV Catch up and the occasional FB/youtube/internet.

But I do like Win 10 over 8.1, although I have to agree that the tablet mode is not as good...
  • PerfectMarkPerfectMark Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I have the Surface Pro 3 and an iPad, and the iPad is far more user friendly. The touch interface works better, the battery lasts longer, and you don't have the security concerns of Windows.
    Exactly, the Surface does have it's advantages if you need to run some Windows only apps. But for the original poster who wants a tablet that is easy to use, the iPad is a much better option.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, the Surface does have it's advantages if you need to run some Windows only apps. But for the original poster who wants a tablet that is easy to use, the iPad is a much better option.

Many android tablets just as functional as an iPad, and much cheaper.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High end replacement would be Surface 3 pro or Surface 3. Tablet form factor, excellent screen for videos. You could set it up the same as your laptop. You don't have to get the touch/type cover, you could use any USB keyboard when necessary and don't compromise on typing experience. Not as cool as the covers, but works better. For web, pictures, videos you could keep using your favourite programmes. Oh, Surface 4 might be around the corner, but it's the same with any product.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    High end replacement would be Surface 3 pro or Surface 3. Tablet form factor, excellent screen for videos. You could set it up the same as your laptop. You don't have to get the touch/type cover, you could use any USB keyboard when necessary and don't compromise on typing experience. Not as cool as the covers, but works better. For web, pictures, videos you could keep using your favourite programmes. Oh, Surface 4 might be around the corner, but it's the same with any product.

Or even the Linx 10 tablet that someone recommended here on DS. It's a ten inch tablet that runs Windows 8.1, so it had apps and will run any Windows software. All for £149.
    Even at that price it's got lots of features the iPad lacks, like micro SD card slot to expand the storage (and great if you drop your tablet and it smashes. You just remove the SD card and you have all your documents), user accounts, so you can let your kids use it without being able to read your emails etc, proper multitasking etc.
    You can even plug in an external monitor into the HDMI out and a wireless keyboard and mouse into the USB and run it as a dual monitor PC, again something no iPad can do.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my iPad 90% of the time but I could never get rid of a laptop completely.

I need it for storage, backups, transferring music, organising my NAS drive, syncing my iDevices, etc. basically for moving data around. Oh, and programming my TV remote.

Providing your laptop still has a little life in it, you should be okay and 'Pages' is perfect for creating a CV and comes free.
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    Many android tablets just as functional as an iPad, and much cheaper.

I'd agree they are as functional but a really good Android tablet will cost just as much as an iPad
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »
    Or even the Linx 10 tablet that someone recommended here on DS. It's a ten inch tablet that runs Windows 8.1, so it had apps and will run any Windows software. All for £149.
    Even at that price it's got lots of features the iPad lacks, like micro SD card slot to expand the storage (and great if you drop your tablet and it smashes. You just remove the SD card and you have all your documents), user accounts, so you can let your kids use it without being able to read your emails etc, proper multitasking etc.
    You can even plug in an external monitor into the HDMI out and a wireless keyboard and mouse into the USB and run it as a dual monitor PC, again something no iPad can do.

The Linx 10 is an excellent tablet but not a good comparison when comparing to an iPad. It's got a slow processor and a low res screen.