Nick Clegg just lied in a speech

2»

Comments

• Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Loving the reactions to my post :D

It just shows that any politician will say whatever they think will get them votes, even claiming they were born and grew up somewhere other than they did. ;)

Or that people would rather come across as unintelligently misunderstanding a politician if it means that they can cast them in a negative light.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I have relatives that moved south - they call themselves Southerners after 2years. I have a mate who moved from London to the North 4 years ago .. he calls himself a Northerner!

good god
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he live in the North or the South?

Not that I'm bothered incidentally, when I came into the thread I thought it was going to be something, well, you know, worth worrying about.

But once again, an attempt to make Nick Clegg look bad.....FAIL.

The man is a legend. Live with it.

He's not going to win the election so I really don't know what all the fuss is about.
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    My sister moved South to Berkshire 26 years ago and she still calls herself Scottish, accurately enough. She would never presume to claim that she was a Southerner.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »
    My sister moved South to Berkshire 26 years ago and she still calls herself Scottish, accurately enough. She would never presume to claim that she was a Southerner.

And the relevance of that comment is? Did Nick Clegg claim to be a Northerner? Or did he say he was from the North?
  • Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the reactions to my post :D

It just shows that any politician will say whatever they think will get them votes, even claiming they were born and grew up somewhere other than they did. ;)

Your OP just shows how desperate some are to smear Clegg that they'll readily resort to non-stories like this. You must know it's an irrelevance, so what are you trying to achieve?
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    I have relatives that moved south - they call themselves Southerners after 2years. I have a mate who moved from London to the North 4 years ago .. he calls himself a Northerner!

good god

I work in a large company which employs people from all over the country. A few months ago we were discussing this very subject and all agreed that our affinity was to the place we were born and bred, not to the place we are now.

I have never heard a northerner describe him or herself as a southerner or vice versa. The very idea of it was met with a range of bemusement to downright shock.

Not that I am accusing you of lying late8, but your "good god" is completely misplaced as what you describe is in actual fact extremely rare. Infact, I think we should "good god" your claims :cool:

About Nick Clegg, he is oilier than Tony Blair. I wouldnt buy a used car from him at any rate.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was making a speech about how the Lib-Dems were a different option than from just voting for the other two parties and he said that that was especially important in the North (he is in Newcastle).

He then went onto say that he was the only one of the three leaders to come from the North. That's untrue. He's from Chalfont St Giles in Buckinghamshire and only started living in the North when he became an MP.

Ok it's not much of a lie on the grand scale of things but did he think nobody would notice?

Actually, do you have a link to this quote since context is key here.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About Nick Clegg, he is oilier than Tony Blair. I wouldnt buy a used car from him at any rate.

Oooo. Oilier...

Which party would you vote, and which group do you think doesn't have oil over them?
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooo. Oilier...

Which party would you vote, and which group do you think doesn't have oil over them?

I never got the Blair-Love, but I do consider myself a Labour supporter in the main. 100% compatibilty would be unrealistic, infact on the Party Matcher Labour proved my best match but only at 68% (hasten to add, I really only did this for a bit of fun, but it could be of value to floaters and I may have had to re-think a little if my personal priorities were matched by a party other than Labour.

I don't think "groups" are particularly oily, not even Tories :eek::D