Options

George Gently bad recast?

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
Forum Member
✭✭
Ive been watching this and a Senior officer has just come into the office. Who seems to be Sgt Bacchus father in Law. When he was last seen I think he had a bald head with blonde bits at the side and glasses. Hes now got a full head of black hair, large tash and no glasses.

Comments

• Options
    Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's undercover.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of bad casting, how about Warren Clarke as the college doorman! You can’t have Dalziel turning up as a cast member in another prime-time BBC1 cop-show. VERY poor casting.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Talking of bad casting, how about Warren Clarke as the college doorman! You can’t have Dalziel turning up as a cast member in another prime-time BBC1 cop-show. VERY poor casting.

Wasn't that on Lewis?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    Wasn't that on Lewis?

Huh? Was tonight’s GG ep.
  • Options
    Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He played a college porter in a recent episode of Lewis too.

However, he's an actor, not a policeman masquerading as a college porter, so as Dalziel and Pascoe aren't being made any more I'd imagine he takes work as it's offered.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He played a college porter in a recent episode of Lewis too.

However, he's an actor, not a policeman masquerading as a college porter, so as Dalziel and Pascoe aren't being made any more I'd imagine he takes work as it's offered.

Warren Clarke is a good actor and I would like to see him in more programmes, for example I was disappointed that his John Prescott role as a Deputy PM did not get a series, but for him to play two college porters in crime dramas a few weeks apart seems to be a mistake.

Once you see someone like Clarke in what would normally be a bit part you know that he is going to be the killer (actually I did not watch either Lewis and Gently to the end so I do not know if he was the killer or not).
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Warren Clarke is a good actor and I would like to see him in more programmes, for example I was disappointed that his John Prescott role as a Deputy PM did not get a series, but for him to play two college porters in crime dramas a few weeks apart seems to be a mistake.

Once you see someone like Clarke in what would normally be a bit part you know that he is going to be the killer (actually I did not watch either Lewis and Gently to the end so I do not know if he was the killer or not).

Yes as soon as Warren Clarke appeared briefly, I thought he'll be back, become a central character and "he'll have done it." It's always the same and ruins any suspense there might have been.

Same with sets, if a room which has obviously taken quite a time to prepare appears briefly, you know the action will definitely return to it.

This programme certainly exposes the severe limitations in Martin Shaw's acting skills, but then I thought "The Professionals" was rubbish.
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought "The Professionals" was rubbish.

Yes, but I would have thought the blame for that lay more at Lewis Collins's door, surely?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who'd have thought it - Dalziel was a teapot!

It was pretty obvious who was the wrong 'un from the start. I thought that the episode was OK but a bit too long. Groovy man.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »
    Wasn't that on Lewis?
    Yep, he played a college doorman in Lewis as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Who'd have thought it - Dalziel was a teapot!

It was pretty obvious who was the wrong 'un from the start. I thought that the episode was OK but a bit too long. Groovy man.

I've never heard the expression teapot before! A pity that it was very obvious that he was the one as soon as we saw him.

One odd thing. It was mentioned that Warren Clark had the Military Cross. It would be very odd indeed for a College porter to have an MC as he would have had to have been an officer ( lower ranks got a Military Medal), and an officer would not have become a College porter. I know they said he was working for MI5 or something, but in that case he would have stuck out like a sore thumb if he was working undercover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As far as TV is concerned he’s NOT a supporting actor so when he’s cast in such a role, or what appears to be, then the whole production is thrown off balance for a number of reasons - It’s obvious that that role then had to be key to the story and with an actor of the stature of Clarke, and one known for playing police, it takes attention away from Gently and Bacchus and the viewer spends the majority of the ep wondering why Dalziel is pretending to be a doorman. As I said - Piss poor casting. Not all actors can play all roles - It’s the first rule of casting and prevents unsuitable choices being made especially when a big name is in the frame, as in this case. The casting director and the producer should have nixed this choice at the planning stage but they’re clearly shite at their jobs and allowed themselves to be swayed by some (relative) star-power.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    This programme certainly exposes the severe limitations in Martin Shaw's acting skills, but then I thought "The Professionals" was rubbish.

Sorry, but I disagree. Shaw is a fine TV actor, and a fine stage actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as TV is concerned he’s NOT a supporting actor so when he’s cast in such a role, or what appears to be, then the whole production is thrown off balance for a number of reasons - It’s obvious that that role then had to be key to the story and with an actor of the stature of Clarke, and one known for playing police, it takes attention away from Gently and Bacchus and the viewer spends the majority of the ep wondering why Dalziel is pretending to be a doorman. As I said - Piss poor casting. Not all actors can play all roles - It’s the first rule of casting and prevents unsuitable choices being made especially when a big name is in the frame, as in this case. The casting director and the producer should have nixed this choice at the planning stage but they’re clearly shite at their jobs and allowed themselves to be swayed by some (relative) star-power.

Nonsense.

Clarke is a great actor whatever he's in, and he convinces the viewer he's the character of whoever he's playing. This is the whole point of acting - you're being someone else, not yourself or any other part you've played in the past. This is why David Jason is dreadful - he's always Del Boy, whether he's Frost or Pa Larkin - but John Thaw can play Monsieur Renard or Mr Tom but when he was playing these roles he was never Morse.
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but John Thaw can play Monsieur Renard or Mr Tom but when he was playing these roles he was never Morse.

He couldn't hold an accent to save his life. He used to veer all over the shop from really rather posh to cor blimey gov'' during the course of just one line.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He couldn't hold an accent to save his life. He used to veer all over the shop from really rather posh to cor blimey gov'' during the course of just one line.:rolleyes:

In what programme was that?
    His Suffolk accent was second to none on Goodnight Mr Tom.

I should know, as both my grandparents came from there and although they lived in London, they kept their accents to the end.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On This Morning last week Martin Shaw hinted (maybe only to my ears anyway) that he would rather be doing more 'Judge John Dredd' (as Eammon Holmes twice called it!) (and indeed so did Holly Willoughby the day before)

He said he kept being asked why they were not making more and we should ask the BBC as the cast and crew etc all wanted to.

I have to say that I think that role suited him better.
  • Options
    the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but I disagree. Shaw is a fine TV actor, and a fine stage actor.

What? - He can't do a cockney accent to save his life! He keeps thinking he's still playing Judge John Deed!!! At least get an actor to play the role who can at least stay in a regional accent for more than a third of the episode!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why David Jason is dreadful - he's always Del Boy, whether he's Frost or Pa Larkin -
    I know that it is all about opinions, but to say that Frost and Pa Larkin are the same as Del Boy when played by David Jason is the oddest opinion about acting I have ever seen on these boards, and that is saying something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? - He can't do a cockney accent to save his life! He keeps thinking he's still playing Judge John Deed!!! At least get an actor to play the role who can at least stay in a regional accent for more than a third of the episode!!!!!!
    Just because he cannot do a cockney accent does not make him a bad actor. John Geilgud and Ralph Richardson would not have shone as a cockney.

Warren Clarke's geordie accent in Gently was even worse than Shaw's cockney - but that is the fault of the casting director not the actor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I know that it is all about opinions, but to say that Frost and Pa Larkin are the same as Del Boy when played by David Jason is the oddest opinion about acting I have ever seen on these boards, and that is saying something.

Yes, it is isn't it, and whilst you might think it odd, it's my opinion.
    :p
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member

Gently is a superb programme, with fine acting, a fine script. Its one of the best programmes around.

After 3 yrs, does it really matter that Shaw isnt talking like a Cockernee stall merchant?. God people complain about anything!.

Sit back and enjoy a damn good British programme and stop whinging.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when did homosexuality stop being illegal in the UK? I didn't realise that it used to be arrestable offence.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Liking" Martin Shaw doesn't make him a good actor, he's rubbish in this.
    It is possible even for an "average" actor to master accents if they're prepared to put in the work, he obviously wasn't, or hadn't the ability.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously, who'd be cretin enough to "wonder why Dalziel is pretending to be a doorman"? I don't know anyone who can't tell the difference between an actor and one of his characters.

You do have a point about the tendency for the best-known of the guest actors usually turning out to be the killer - but then Sarah Lancashire is well-known too! It's a bit of a lack of imagination on the part of the directors; they should shake this perception up far more often than they do.