Options

A trend I've noticed with Facebook

BustedCatBustedCat Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've began to notice that the people who I've added from school who didn't go to university seem to 'tlk lik diss xxxx'. Whereas the people who I know from universities often write in complete sentences often accompanied with witty jokes or political commentary. I didn't realise how big the difference was until I went on an old school friend's wall and I couldn't barely make out what most of the status were about. Now I can understand using 'txt spk' when sending texts or even when you want to save time, but I can't for the life of me why people start adding letters or substituting other letters in words, for example spelling 'think' with a 'f' makes no sense. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think that university teaches people not to text speak? I think you might need further education ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something I have noticed, I don't have facebook myself but I do have a mate who was showing me around...

I couldn't help but notice how many people added him as a 'friend' but never acknowledged his existence at school :confused: Looking at other profiles it was exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to university, only did one year in sixth form and passed about 3 O levels.

Notice how I'm constructing sentences?

(btw, one was English!) :D
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    AJXX wrote: »
    Something I have noticed, I don't have facebook myself but I do have a mate who was showing me around...

I couldn't help but notice how many people added him as a 'friend' but never acknowledged his existence at school :confused: Looking at other profiles it was exactly the same thing.

That always confuses me why would people who ignored you want to be your facebook friend!

Even worse the girl who bullied me in school and made my life miserable requested to be my friend!! I had to laugh!
  • Options
    BustedCatBustedCat Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kupo_nut wrote: »
    I've never been to university, only did one year in sixth form and passed about 3 O levels.

Notice how I'm constructing sentences?

(btw, one was English!) :D

I was just pointing out a trend I noticed while surfing on Facebook, of course there are always exceptions.
  • Options
    SlowRapSlowRap Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly educated people spell better than poorly educated ones. What is next?
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people from school seem never to have dislodged the chip off their shoulders. There was a boy in my class who was a bit intense to put it mildly, although I remembered him quite fondly. I can remember having a kind of argument with him about the lyrics to a song which he had got wrong, being an intense type he got very red and angry which I found hilarious especially as he was wrong, this was the kind of thing he would do on a quite a regular basis.

Anyway, I requested him on facebook through a school group just wondering how he was getting on, thinking he'd probably matured somewhat. Noooooo, he wrote on some app on my profile ' she hated me at school and yet we are now facebook friends' I didn't hate him! I didn't feel one way or the other about him he was a classmate for 5 while years of my life though. I deleted him a few months later as he kept putting stupid statuses about having a clean up of all the people on facebook that didn't even talk to him, so I saved him a job.

I can understand people feeling angry towards genuine bullies but feeling anger 15 years later towards people that laughed at your silliness a bit??? Let it go people, let it go!!!
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't go to university but hate any comments in text speak. I don't find it quicker when it takes me so long to figure out what people are saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know plenty of people from university that not only update status with text speak, they have sent me long personal messages, full of actually embarrassing spelling and grammar mistakes (that's with some effort put in!). My sister who hasn't even finished all her A levels has a higher standard of writing (although she does fit the stereotype and uses text speech most of the time).

To be fair, sometimes even I just take the shortest route with facebook updates and I have almost finished a degree in Linguistics. So even though you could probably argue that there is an obvious educational divide you can't always judge a person by facebook! For me text speak doesn't annoy me half as much as people who use stupid words like "sik" and "well good mate".
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never went to University and I never text talk when writing on a forum or anywhere else. I only do it in Twitter when I need an extra character space.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    A couple of years ago at uni one of our lecturers warned us not to write in text speak in our exam as someone had the year before :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital spy is actually very good for learning grammar, spelling and even new words!! It wouldn't be the first time I have seen a word used in a certain way on here and thought... what does that mean? I look it up and I learn it!! Everyday is a school day!! Also, you are not allowed to text speak on DS!

The thing about spelling that annoys me on FB is when people are attempting to 'have a rant' about someone else of FB and they spell words wrong or have sentences that just make no sense!! When you are speaking a rant the words are out of your mouth before you get the chance to think about it, but when you are writing it, you have the time to stop, take a look at what you have written and see if it makes sense!!
  • Options
    McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murk ya blud!
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear dear dear. I despair, I really do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Broken Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!`1!
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Facebook,facebook,facebook, facebook,facebook, facebook , facebook ,facebook , facebook, facebook,facebook, facebook,facebook,facebook bloody facebook.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I don't have a Facebook account - I have never wanted one and cannot, quite honestly, see the point.
    I also never went to University and only obtained my poor solitary A Level when I attended night school about 10 years after gratefully leaving education behind.
    However, I am always very conscious about the way I construct sentences; I always try to use the most suitable vocabulary for the situation (the mot juste you might say) and never, ever use text speak. I even write in complete sentences when I do send text messages - Even remembering to put 2 spaces after a full stop.

Was the OP trying to draw some serious and definitive conclusion about grammar and English usage dependant upon the posters level of Higher Education based upon Facebook posts or do you think that it was a sweeping generalisation derived from thier own limited circle of friends?
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    acker wrote: »
    Facebook,facebook,facebook, facebook,facebook, facebook , facebook ,facebook , facebook, facebook,facebook, facebook,facebook,facebook bloody facebook.

ur yeah it'z in da title, doh! or iz dat some sort o universal-city type o' talk
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    BenRielly wrote: »
    I don't have a Facebook account - I have never wanted one and cannot, quite honestly, see the point.
    I also never went to University and only obtained my poor solitary A Level when I attended night school about 10 years after gratefully leaving education behind.
    However, I am always very conscious about the way I construct sentances; I always try to use the most suitable vocabulary for the situation (the mot juste you might say) and never, ever use text speak. I even write in complete sentances when I do send text messages - Even remembering to put 2 spaces after a full stop.

Was the OP trying to draw some serious and definitive conclusion about grammar and English usage dependant upon the posters level of Higher Education based upon Facebook posts or do you think that it was a sweeping generalisation derived from thier own limited circle of friends?

I dunno maybe it woz da use of "Sentances" that made dem fink dis way.
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed a trend on DS; people are ego centric whiners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    AJXX wrote: »

i had that, i have half my school year group on my friends list, i was a musician so about as popular as pond life, do they speak to me now? nope. also i dont have a pic of myself so they wouldnt know what i look like if they saw me on the street lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I dunno maybe it woz da use of "Sentances" that made dem fink dis way.

You'll notice that I never said that I was able to spell, however. :o

Thank you for pointing that one out - I blame the keyboard and shall be editing the post - Even though the evidence will reamin in your quote.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i ddnt atend uni n w%d nvr uz txt spk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I write in full sentences on Facebook, and I did so before I went to Uni as well.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in college right now, wanting to study Media in uni. But for me, its 50/50, depends who I speak to, if its to a mate who is all like "brutha" and "gash" (yeah i know, that word makes me cringe) then i will whip out my text speak, which normally happens.

If I'm speaking to older people, family and people on DS, I obviously would speak in complete sentences.