Options

Albums that were recorded but either cancelled/unreleased.

Comments

• Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiss planned to release a hard rock style album in 1981 following the less than spectacular pop rock of 1980's Unmasked. A few demos were recorded but the album was scrapped as Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley outvoted Ace Frehley 2 to 1 as Peter Criss had left the band by that stage and replacement Eric Carr wasn't allowed a vote. They opted for a complete change of direction. The result was the concept album Music From The Elder that Simmons and Stanley have all but disowned due to its poor sales. I think it's one of their best by the way.

Another Kiss album Carnival of Souls was due to be released in 1995/1996 only to be shelved when Kiss reunited with their original lineup and put their make up back on. After tracks from the album were leaked it was eventually released uncompleted and with little promo and no tour as Carnival Of Souls: The Final Sessions in 1997. It remains one of their heaviest efforts with some fine tracks such as I Walk Alone which was ironically Bruce Kulick's only track as lead vocalist during his 12 odd years with Kiss before he was replaced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana Vickers 2nd album. Instead of holding out hope for a label, she should just release it independently. No labels will care for a 4th place X Factor contestant from 2008.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Alesha Dixon's Fired Up get a limited release but not in the UK?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icanboogie wrote: »
    Didn't Alesha Dixon's Fired Up get a limited release but not in the UK?

Yes, in Japan

I got a brand new copy really cheap 2 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In very general terms, the majoriy of artists mentioned in this thread have saved the bargain bins a bit of wear & tear
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Duran Duran have had

Reportage- follow up to 2004's Astronaut which exists in some form but it has never been heard outside of the band and Sony- album scrapped and replaced with Red Carpet Massacre

and 1997's Medazzaland never got released outside of the US and Japan (think it might now be on i-tunes)

and U2 had the much talked about Songs of Ascent which appears to have been scrapped
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bat Chain Puller by Captain Beefheart. apparently Frank Zappa's estate still has the tapes.
  • Options
    konofiliuskonofilius Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Just found it. Love love love! I wish it had been released!

Any Britney B Song is better than most stuff of ya faves
  • Options
    KissesDontLieKissesDontLie Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    iamstrong wrote: »
    Nicole Scherzinger's first album was unreleased because all the singles underperformed. Some of the songs ended up elsewhere ("When I Grow Up" and "I Hate This Part" were given to PCD, "Power's Out" ended up on Killer Love, and "Just Say Yes" was returned to Snow Patrol)

Mariah recorded a remix album that she recorded with the likes of Akon, K-Ci & JoJo, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Mary J. Blige and Westlife that was scrapped.

Dr. Dre's "Detox" has yet to be released.

I'm gutted about this :cry: the singles she released were so much better than anything she has done since 2010.
  • Options
    Michael_SharpeMichael_Sharpe Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Aqua had their third album almost ready before they spilt in 2002
  • Options
    THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii minogue's 1995 album

Dannii minogue's follow up to Neon Nights
  • Options
    David_CarmonDavid_Carmon Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Snap! recorded a fourth album, One Day On Earth, for release in 2000 but it was cancelled after the lead single Gimme A Thrill flopped.

Geri Halliwell, Man On The Mountain, cancelled but leaked fourth album.

Jonas Brothers recorded and scrapped an album before their initial breakup.

Cher announced that she was doing a second ABBA cover album, then eventually scrapped it.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nine year old thread bump alert……
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in 2000, there was a band in country music named the Clark Family Experience and years later the fiddle player of the band, Ashley Clark that is, did some solo singing. Sadly, an album of his awesome singing was never released, and I hate it.

God bless you and him and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. The Clark Family Experience was Ashley and five of his brothers. Their parents had eleven kids all together, the six band brothers, three more boys which includes one set of twins and the last pregnancy produced twin girls. :):):)
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/24 - 12:47 #116
    Melanie B was recording a 3rd album in 2008/2009 and showed her recording it in her reality show she did in 2010 with her ex husband but was never released, probably because her 2nd album totally bombed and her 1st album didnt do that great

Also, Little Mix. When they released their 3rd album Get Weird in 2015 they said they started working on an album but it was so rubbish they had to start all over again. i can remember Jesy even saying she cried on the phone to her mum because it was so crap, i'd be intrigued to hear it
  • Options
    MrsKrayMrsKray Posts: 1,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scissor Sisters had recorded one after TaDah from 2006-2009 but totally scrapped it and recorded Night Work instead.

Would sooo love to hear it lol

I know this post is really old but "Do The Television" from Jakes most recent solo album is from the scrapped SS album. It's not bad! Reminds me of their quirky more electronic sound from before their debut album.

Thank god they scrapped that album though. Night Work is an incredible listen start to finish.
  • Options
    HotdogjumpingfrogHotdogjumpingfrog Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    George Michael had a couple , one which was full of duets, Sade , Anita baker etc called Trojan soul, and he then made a gay disco LP , couple of them are on you tube , including hes version of you spin me around , , shame they never got finished and released
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Another one is Michelle Branch's country album "Everything Comes and Goes". However, half of the tracks were released as an EP and others were given away as free downloads.

Also, her new album "West Coast Time" has been delayed for so long, and with no updates/news, it seems like it is not going to be released either! :(

Didn't she release as a part of The Wreckers? I like some of that material :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11/02/24 - 06:25 #120
    Oh just remembered although they are both speculation and reports so dunno how true they are but they both are plausible

Britney- in 2015 apparently she was releasing a new album and her single with Iggy Azealia "Pretty Girls" was apparently the lead single. When they performed it at the Billboard Music Awards there was a banner at the top of the stage saying Pretty World which apparently was the name of the album, then when Pretty Girls flopped the album was scrapped and she started working on what became Glory released in 2016, I dont really know how much I believe this though as I woulďve thought songs from Pretty World wouldve been leaked. But its plausible as when PG flopped she released no music for a year then came back with a completely different sound with Glory so it is plausible and also I remember when PG was first released Iggy said in an interview Britney told her her album was ready. So it is possible I just find it weird none of the tracks have been leaked. I cant remember what ones but I did hear a couple of songs on Glory were from Pretty World but if what Iggy said was true that Britney told her the album was ready that's like 10 ish songs that's never been leaked which I find weird in this day and age

Then still with Britney there were reports just after she released Glory in 2016 she was already working on her 10th album. She finished her residency then did her tour in 2018 that she was forced to do, then apparently when her new Vegas residency which again she was being forced to do was beginning in February 2019 there were rumours B10 was going to be released around the time the residency was starting but as we know she cancelled everything and went on hiatus
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George Michael had a couple , one which was full of duets, Sade , Anita baker etc called Trojan soul, and he then made a gay disco LP , couple of them are on you tube , including hes version of you spin me around , , shame they never got finished and released

trojan souls was only partly recorded. the only completed duet was with elton john. wendy from wendy and lisa, formerly from prince and the revolution, recorded guitar on her track, but it was mainly left as instrumentals

you spin me around was released under the name "infamy" (they got it in fer me) with pepsi (helen demacque) as the "featured" vocalist and there was a load of remixes of it. there were other singles released under other names that george was lead or co lead singer on, such as a cover of jive talking under the name of boogie box high, and the album had 2 tracks that were originally recorded for the first wham album - golden soul (which was recoded by zapp for it's first official release) and soul boy. i presume you are referring to listen without prejudice volume 2, part of which was released on red hot and blue and singles and b sides. lwpv2 could have been part of the LWPv1 reissue but the estate have been pretty reluctant to release anything previously unissued. the newly announced wham reissues have nothing new on them when there are a few things they could have included, such as songs not on the original albums, but either unused or used elsewhere

he was working on another album before he died, which was supposed to be a dance album
  • Options
    Portugal-ColaPortugal-Cola Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Green Day's Cigarettes and Valentines, Weezer's Songs from the Black Hole, Charli XCX's XCX World, Britney Spears' The Original Doll, Prince's Dream Factory, Mariah Carey's Angels Advocate etc comes to mind for me on albums that never got released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remembered another one. Victoria Beckham had an album called Open Your Eyes and she released lead double A siee This Groove/Let Your Head Go at end of 2003, actually charted quite high at #3 and have to admit I liked both songs. Open Your Eyes was meant to be released in 2004 but record label went bankrupt and Victoria decided to quit music and start her fashion career

Actually just checked and I didnt know this. Apparently she had 2 albums unreleased from 2004. Open Your Eyes and Come Together. I knew about Open Your Eyes but didnt know she had another called Come Together. Apparently Let Your Head Go was from Open Your Eyes and This Groove was from Come Together
  • Options
    ancient wolfancient wolf Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Judas Priest recorded an album in the late eighties with Stock Aitken and Waterman producing. Worried it would destroy their credibility with the heavy metal audience it was shelved. Only snippets have been made available online.
  • Options
    FreddiefentonFreddiefenton Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great thread this, thanks for reviving it. I believe the Jam virtually recorded an earlier version of their 1978 classic LP All Mod Cons with different, weaker songs (some by Bruce Foxton) but were told it wasn't good enough so Weller went away and upped his songwriting game.

Given the short(ish) lifespan of this great band, it would be fascinating to hear the scrapped "album"!

Since this thread started in 2012, so many classics have which I might otherwise have cited have, in the intervening period, come out - Bowie's Metrobolist, Bowie's The Gouster, Bowie's Toy - and some Prince ones ("2010" springs to mind). The holy grail surely still remains the oft-cited Beach Boys "Smile", although Brian Wilson's 2004 recording suffices perfectly well and has all the requisite magic, so it has sort of come out thankfully!

Going from the sublime to the .. well ... not quite so sublime, I remember reading shortly after the Spice Girls split that there was an album's worth of recorded but unreleased songs from when Geri Halliwell left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis recorded an album called "Twilight" before The X Factor. Apparently she got signed by a label but they never actually released it. Must have gotten quite close though by the looks of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFA17cfkMzg

An idea of what Leona's music might have sounded like had she not went on The X Factor.

i know this is a 12 year old post lol But i did hear a rumour a few years ago that Leona wasnt really a receptionist as was told when her audition was aired on TV and Simon met her before the audition and asked her to do X Factor and the receptionist story was just made up to make it look like she was just a normal unknown girl who just walked in normally to audition. I have no idea if thats true but i heard that somewhere a few years ago