BBC Olympics - 24 Live HD Streams on Cable & Satellite

Comments

• Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    OBS are the host broadcaster http://www.obs.es/obslondon2012.html -

Indeed, and I believe that the BBC have been given the rowing to produce, and they have already outsourced this out?
  • RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, we have 24 specially setup Olympics channels (SD & HD), BBC One, becoming "Olympics TV", with BBC Three doinf the same. Plus the BBC Red Button channels (one on Freeview [how many on satellite/cable?]), & BBC Parliamant changing to Olympics. Thats at least 27 TV channels!

Has the Olympics ever had this many FTA channels available in the host country (or the world for that matter)?

I wonder if the BBC will use the extra/unused Freeview HD capacity that 5HD was supposed to take for one of these new HD channels on Freeview?

Personally, i think this is excellent news!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    PVR / iPlayer it and create your own highlights programme?
    I have done that in the past but how do I know if something is worth watching until I spend the time watcing it?
    And a lot of people who'll want in depth coverage (live and highlights) are very involved in sports and other activities. They want to hear the stories and news around the action itself.
    And I have no problem with them having wall to wall access. Many of us are more selective and time-limited so would appreciate just getting to see the executive summary rather than plough through the whole damn hundred page report.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there the space on Freesat for this?? And what about Freeview users?
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since freesat share the same space as Sky I dont see why there will not be space on freesat for this.

I wonder if this is going to be Astra 2D's last hurrah, The sat has been cleared waiting to be junked. so could manage 24hd streams.
  • StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there the space on Freesat for this?? And what about Freeview users?

Freeview viewers will have to use the BBC Sport website unless there is a way to get it via IPTV with Freeview boxes that has Ethernet connections built-in. It's very clear all 24 feeds won't be on DTT, there is no MUX capacity for it so don't expect it.

Sky/Freesat will get the channels via capacity freed up by BSkyB for the duration, like reducing the Sky Movies screens. That's the possibility.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    I wonder if this is going to be Astra 2D's last hurrah, The sat has been cleared waiting to be junked. so could manage 24hd streams.

Didn't think of that, if it's going to be empty then it could be used as a dedicated Sat for it all. 24SD and 24 HD.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OBS are the host broadcaster http://www.obs.es/obslondon2012.html -

Well, I didn't know that. I just assumed it would be the BBC as the major broadcaster in the host country.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What great news to be able to see this great event like this :)
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    What great news to be able to see this great event like this :)

And yet people are still moaning about it, I can't quite work it out.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Well, I didn't know that. I just assumed it would be the BBC as the major broadcaster in the host country.
    OBS make use of broadcasters from around the world who have experience / expertise in particular sports. The BBC are doing rowing and tennis this time.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    From the bbc article:

Mr Mosey said the BBC had agreed with Sky and [highlight]Freesat[/highlight] to show the live streams across 24 channels, with more announcements from other providers expected soon.

This is good news for Freesat, which I suspect will benefit even more in increased sales than Sky and VM.

Perhaps my nearest Asda will actually bother to stock more than a single Freesat+ model in future!
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olympics schedule highlights

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/london_2012/9394926.stm

There is a full schedule to download on this page
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    Sky/Freesat will get the channels via capacity freed up by BSkyB for the duration, like reducing the Sky Movies screens. That's the possibility.

They could also look at dropping SBO for the duration, having made anytime+ available to non sky BB users
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    No chance the Sky Movies channels will be reduced, these new Olympics channels will launch on other transponder capacity that's not currently used.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    So, what of those people who can't have a dish on their house and whose internet is not good enough to stream HD video? Do those people get a reduction in their TV Tax?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    So, what of those people who can't have a dish on their house and whose internet is not good enough to stream HD video? Do those people get a reduction in their TV Tax?
    If by TV Tax you mean the TV Licence, then the answer is no.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Nothing to moan about here if this means I can record the cycling all day and be able to avoid everything else (and the dreadful Sue Barker) for the duration of the Olympics.

Good job BBC and everyone else.
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member

No. There is no reason they should either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, why should they? They can stream it in SD if their ADSL is that poor. They won't be any worse off given they can still watch the video feeds :rolleyes:
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, they just need to move house. :p
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    At least Sky are paying. Would be good to have a 3d dedicated channel too.

I agree.

All we know so far is that there will be a 3D "highlights" programme every evening, along with key events (opening / closing ceremonies, Mens 100m final) simulcast in 3D courtesy of the BBC HD channel.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news for Sky and Freesat customers but makes the inequality with Freeview even more annoying. The BBC have obviously gone to great lengths to get these channels on Sky but in two and a half years have done absolutely nothing to try and reinstate either of the two axed interactive streams. They claim it isn't possible, but in that time ITV, C4 and C5 have found the capacity for at least one extra channel - so if there was a will they'd be a way.

If it wasn't for the BBC axing all but one red button stream on Sky/Freesat after the Olympics (that is there answer to folks complaining about the Freeview service - to make Sky's just as bad!) I'd be seriously tempted.

There are rumours that the BBC may simulcast 301 in HD during the games, but that is a waste of a stream IMO and it would be better if any additional HD streams offered something different to the SD stream. The BBC could also make better use of the space by offering 3-4 of the Olympic channels in SD rather than one in HD which would mean up to 8 channels on FreeviewHD. That softens the blow somewhat and I think offering Freeview folk the chance to get more by upgrading to FreeviewHD is less of an ask than making it exclusive to Sky/Freesat for those unable to watch online. And if a rumoured 6th HD channel was used they could probably have 10-12 SD streams via FreeviewHD.
  • hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    No chance the Sky Movies channels will be reduced, these new Olympics channels will launch on other transponder capacity that's not currently used.

Wonder if they will scrap all the BBC One variations during the games and use those channels instead, as BBC One will be an Olympic channel- there won't be time for local news?
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    hessy2 wrote: »
    Wonder if they will scrap all the BBC One variations during the games and use those channels instead, as BBC One will be an Olympic channel- there won't be time for local news?

There will still be news programmes on BBC One inc regional news. The broadcasts will likely be carried on transponder capacity not currently in use for anything else. The only question re Sky is whether they have enough SD memory capacity for their older boxes to cope with an extra 24 SD listings on the epg - if so then no existing channels need to be displaced. If they need to reduce existing SD channels for the duration then Sky Box Office channels are the obvious target.