Bates Motel on Universal UK

Comments

• HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen a trailer for this new show starting on Universal Channel on Thursday 12th September at 9pm. Looks interesting. Set in present day.

Can't wait!! :D
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    Here's a question- should I watch this or Psycho (the original Hitchcock film) first?
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a question- should I watch this or Psycho (the original Hitchcock film) first?

The film - without a shadow of a doubt.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say no. Bates Motel, although set in a modern day scenario, is basically showing how Norman develops into the psycho he becomes.
    I have seen the first season and would highly recommend watching it. The two leads, Vera Farmiga & Freddie Highmore are fantastic.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait for this show! Does anyone else just love vera farmiga?!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »

I've only seen her in a couple of things like Up In The Air. She is a good actress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    I do i think she is a great actress and was fabulous in Bates Motel. She deserves to win the emmy
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep she is and she's got this down to earth likeablity to her, I don't know why but I always liked her and just going by the advert for bates motel, I can tell her and Freddie have great chemistry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I've just seen a trailer for this new show starting on Universal Channel on Thursday 12th September at 9pm. Looks interesting. Set in present day.
    Definitely give Bates Motel a try... I watched the whole first season and the acting is really good.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not heard much about this is it a prequel series to the Hitchcock film then? or unrelated continuity wise
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    not heard much about this is it a prequel series to the Hitchcock film then? or unrelated continuity wise

Yes it's a prequel about the relationship between Norman growing up with his mother and how he turned into the Norman we all know. But it's set in modern day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Can someone bump this nearer the time so I dont forget? :D

Just bumping this thread to remind duffsdad that this show starts tonight. :D
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though Bates Motel is a new continuity, there are nods and winks throughout the series which will make a lot more sense if you've seen Psycho and know how Norman and Norma end up. So I'd recommend seeing Psycho first.
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's a prequel about the relationship between Norman growing up with his mother and how he turned into the Norman we all know. But it's set in modern day.[/QUOTE]

Why??? would have made sense to make it at the same time as original..
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good that Universal is now in Sky's On Demand service.

We'll wait until tomorrow and get the ad free HD version.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miles_T wrote: »
    Yes it's a prequel about the relationship between Norman growing up with his mother and how he turned into the Norman we all know. But it's set in modern day.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it was because of the extra cost involved in making a 'period drama'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miles_T wrote: »
    It would cost considerably more to do a weekly series set in the 1950s. For a start, a large number of classic cars would need to be sourced. Plus the wardrobe and props budgets would soar through the roof. Plus, no matter how meticulous they try to be, a bunch of smartarses would spot historical anachronisms and continuity errors with Hitchcock's Psycho. Plus there's already a prequel movie called Psycho IV: The Beginning.

It makes much more sense to start again with a clean slate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look really modern day anyway from what I've seen from the trailers. The colour and costumes look from that period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't look really modern day anyway from what I've seen from the trailers. The colour and costumes look from that period.
    Well, it one thing to capture a general "look and feel" of the late 50s and early 60s, but it's quite another to authentically recreate that era.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it one thing to capture a general "look and feel" of the late 50s and early 60s, but it's quite another to authentically recreate that era.

Can you be more specific. :p
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

You have a false impression. The look of the house Norma and Norman live in is meant to look quite old, and publicity photos have shown Norma in clothing that looks a bit frumpy. That was all very deliberate, a gesture to the movie. But the small town Norma and Norman have moved to is like something out of a modern crime thriller. The conceit of the show is that the town is really crazier than Norma and Norman, and certainly more evil.
  • dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think it is set in the present day, its 60s isnt it?

Edit-sorry i have read a review and discovered it IS set in the present day in fact.. :(

The reviews have been pretty good though.. :)
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    dwiseman wrote: »
    I dont think it is set in the present day, its 60s isnt it?

No, it is set in the present.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watch it guys, you won't be disappointed :)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would cost considerably more to do a weekly series set in the 1950s. For a start, a large number of classic cars would need to be sourced. Plus the wardrobe and props budgets would soar through the roof. Plus, no matter how meticulous they try to be, a bunch of smartarses would spot historical anachronisms and continuity errors with Hitchcock's Psycho. Plus there's already a prequel movie called Psycho IV: The Beginning.

It makes much more sense to start again with a clean slate.

There's always a bunch of whining pedants who almost look forward to trying to find minor errors that most of us couldn't give a monkey's about